Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supplemental Draft
I know everyone is still recovering from the draft this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone has seen anything about the Supplemental draft? With the college football season potentially being moved to 2021, and if the NFL allows it, there could be an unprecedented number of players declaring. It could be huge for the Bengals with having the 1st pick in each round again.

Players like Trevor Lawrence wouldn't be eligible obviously, but I wonder if the Bengals would put a pick in for a Shaun Wade or a Travis Etienne.
Reply/Quote
Not sure. But if the NCAA skips the season, then it's very possible. And only rule i know of is 3.years from High School.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:06 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I know everyone is still recovering from the draft this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone has seen anything about the Supplemental draft?  With the college football season potentially being moved to 2021, and if the NFL allows it, there could be an unprecedented number of players declaring. It could be huge for the Bengals with having the 1st pick in each round again.

Players like Trevor Lawrence wouldn't be eligible obviously, but I wonder if the Bengals would put a pick in for a Shaun Wade or a Travis Etienne.

Etienne would be nasty in our offense ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
The Supplemental Draft doesn’t follow the same pick order and uses a lottery system unfortunately. The Bengals would have a better chance than the other teams of getting a higher pick because it’s weighted towards teams with worse records, but it’s not a guarantee. It’s also not done in rounds from what I understand and instead uses a bidding system. So if the Bengals put a second round pick on a guy like Etienne, but the Chiefs put a first, then we’d lose out. We’d also forfeit next years picks for any players we took that way. So if we pick players that we put a 1st, 2nd, and 4th round bid on, next year we wouldn’t have a 1st, 2nd, or 4th round pick.

It’s definitely something to keep an eye on because there might be some players that are worth it, but there is a lot to consider when making those picks.
Reply/Quote
I feel like a lot of veterans will get screwed out of a job if there is no college season and a ton of supplemental picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I feel like a lot of veterans will get screwed out of a job if there is no college season and a ton of supplemental picks.

There's no way there is no college season. Football brings in too much money for the Universities that they use to fund other things. They may not allow fans in the stands, but there will be college football on Saturday television. Bank on it.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I feel like a lot of veterans will get screwed out of a job if there is no college season and a ton of supplemental picks.

Could see a wide ranging effects from it. I think the NFL & NFLPA will have to step in on changing rules.

I definitely think it'll be in the best interest of pro-eligible players to consider going supplemental. 

You tear your ACL in Sep-Oct, you likely play your rookie year. If you start the season in Jan-Feb, you're risking your entire rookie year and a major hit to draft status. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There's no way there is no college season. Football brings in too much money for the Universities that they use to fund other things. They may not allow fans in the stands, but there will be college football on Saturday television. Bank on it.

Hard to have football if they don't open schools.  They could extend virtual, but I think as news about COVID-19 is released and testing becomes more and more readily available, I think the US will open back up...my guess is June 1st.  It looks like a LOT of folks are infected, way more than originally thought, but only about 1.7 are being hosptialized and .1 to .2 are dying.  So, greater numbers overall, but not as much risk as thought. 

Hope the reagents needed for the rapid testing machines are first priority nationwide right now.   The more testing, the more understanding, the less fear, the less overreaction.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hard to have football if they don't open schools.  They could extend virtual, but I think as news about COVID-19 is released and testing becomes more and more readily available, I think the US will open back up...my guess is June 1st.  It looks like a LOT of folks are infected, way more than originally thought, but only about 1.7 are being hosptialized and .1 to .2 are dying.  So, greater numbers overall, but not as much risk as thought. 

Hope the reagents needed for the rapid testing machines are first priority nationwide right now.   The more testing, the more understanding, the less fear, the less overreaction.  

I could see them opening the schools to online classes only. Then they could bring players in and spread them out over empty dorms. They'll do whatever it takes, too much money on the line. But I agree I think we will be back to normal as more testing brings more understanding. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think players can just chose to be in the supplemental draft instead of the regular draft. Aren't there specidic rules for which players are included in the supplemental draft.
Reply/Quote

I'dd say most of the juniors who were good enough to make NFL rosters in 2020 were already in the draft.  I know ther would be some, but not a really large number.

The guys that would get screwed would be the late round picks from this years draft that might mnake a roster this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think players can just chose to be in the supplemental draft instead of the regular draft.  Aren't there specidic rules for which players are included in the supplemental draft.

I found this article when Terrelle Pryor went into the Supplemental draft. I'm sure there are more exact resources out there. Seems the simple act of hiring an agent and filing a petition makes them eligible. Where it gets tricky is the NFL review process. 

What is the supplemental draft and who is eligible for it?

The supplemental draft is a means by which underclassmen who become ineligible for the college football season after the deadline to enter the NFL’s regular draft can enter the league. To be declared eligible for the supplemental draft, a player must file a petition, which is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. In Pryor’s case, while he was eligible to return from his suspension midseason, he recently forfeited his college eligibility by hiring agent Drew Rosenhaus.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'dd say most of the juniors who were good enough to make NFL rosters in 2020 were already in the draft.  I know ther would be some, but not a really large number.

The guys that would get screwed would be the late round picks from this years draft that might mnake a roster this year.

Good point...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think players can just chose to be in the supplemental draft instead of the regular draft.  Aren't there specidic rules for which players are included in the supplemental draft.

They have to show there was some sort of change in available information between January, when they would've declared for the regular draft, and the supplemental draft. I don't think the threshold for proving that is very high, but I'm pretty sure you can't just say you changed your mind. It does seem like a college season moved to 2021 would count, but who knows. 
Reply/Quote
Couple things here...

-we would be in pod 1, with 9 other teams. After that the order is randomly drawn so we could be pick 1 or 10.

- in terms of eligibility the supplemental draft uses a waiver system where players, even if they don’t meet standard NFL eligibility status, can apply to be in the draft. In the event the NCAA season was canceled there would be so many in that situation the NFL would have to make a blanket ruling I’d guess in terms of if that meets their standards or not.

-Something interesting to watch would be if they deny entry into the supplemental draft and there was no NCAA season, would the athletes file a class action lawsuit against the NFL. With the XFL/AAFL defunct and NCAA closed there would be no “other” options without going to Canada. Telling someone to go to another country to find employment sure would seem like an unfair business practice. This is the scenario I think that would be most interesting.
Reply/Quote

Yes there are, but we're in unusual and (mostly) unprecedented times so exceptions could be made. If the 2020 NCAA football season were to be cancelled, it creates an interesting problem that will invariably lead to some sort of emergency 'one time only' provision. 

If there's no NCAA season (a BIG if), then waiting until next April for the NFL to draft kids that haven't played in over a year would be...interesting. It'd be far better, for both the college athletes and the NFL, in that highly hypothetical situation, to let the kids that would have left after the 2020 season (Seniors and those eligible to declare) go in the supplemental draft if they'll have a chance to stay in shape and play that way. Anyone not drafted should be allowed to return to college (hiring of agents would have to be navigated carefully).

Because this would impact the NFL (drafting kids who haven't played in 18 months with 1.5 year old tape would be AWFUL), I'd also expect that they'd modify the rules to any hypothetical massive supplemental draft, again in a one time only kind of scenario.

Granted, this is all speculation based on an unlikely and, as of yet, still only hypothetical cancelling of the 2020 NCAA football season. If the season goes on, obviously no massive special supplemental draft. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 12:42 PM)Ravage Wrote: Yes there are, but we're in unusual and (mostly) unprecedented times so exceptions could be made. If the 2020 NCAA football season were to be cancelled, it creates an interesting problem that will invariably lead to some sort of emergency 'one time only' provision. 

If there's no NCAA season (a BIG if), then waiting until next April for the NFL to draft kids that haven't played in over a year would be...interesting. It'd be far better, for both the college athletes and the NFL, in that highly hypothetical situation, to let the kids that would have left after the 2020 season (Seniors and those eligible to declare) go in the supplemental draft if they'll have a chance to stay in shape and play that way. Anyone not drafted should be allowed to return to college (hiring of agents would have to be navigated carefully).

Because this would impact the NFL (drafting kids who haven't played in 18 months with 1.5 year old tape would be AWFUL), I'd also expect that they'd modify the rules to any hypothetical massive supplemental draft, again in a one time only kind of scenario.

Granted, this is all speculation based on an unlikely and, as of yet, still only hypothetical cancelling of the 2020 NCAA football season. If the season goes on, obviously no massive special supplemental draft. 

Yes could be a big mess. 
If your a Sr and the season is forfeited. What do you do? 

NCAA could give everyone a Red Shrit year, but then who would want to enter the draft with no tape? 

And which team would want to spend the first on players with little tape? 

Guys would be one year older with a shorter time span to make money in. Big mess all around. 

Let's hope it doesn't come to that
Reply/Quote
Never have followed the Supplemental Draft at all.

We got Odell and Ahmad Brooks from it though correct. Cannot remember. Confused
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never have followed the Supplemental Draft at all.

We got Odell and Ahmad Brooks from it though correct. Cannot remember. Confused

Odell no, Brooks yes.

In these hypothetical scenarios to play out. If no 2020 season for NCAA, why not allow an exception where theres a second "draft" but make it 4 rounds and you can't use those players this season but they can learn the playbook and be eligible to play the following year.

It would allow them to be more physically and mentally ready for the sport. And as a caveat, make a requirement of them having to stay academically eligible during this "redshirt" season and if not then suspensions from the league (like 2 games per week not eligible). 

Not a perfect idea but better than just drafting after a full year wasted.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:39 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Odell no, Brooks yes.

In these hypothetical scenarios to play out. If no 2020 season for NCAA, why not allow an exception where theres a second "draft" but make it 4 rounds and you can't use those players this season but they can learn the playbook and be eligible to play the following year.

It would allow them to be more physically and mentally ready for the sport. And as a caveat, make a requirement of them having to stay academically eligible during this "redshirt" season and if not then suspensions from the league (like 2 games per week not eligible). 

Not a perfect idea but better than just drafting after a full year wasted.

Thanks, and thanks for the specifics WVU. If that is what has to happen I am all for it, I just think this will pass like all foul things.
Reply/Quote