Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supplemental Pick Prospects
From Cincinnati.com:

This year’s supplemental draft group might pique the Bengals interest, though.

Virginia Tech defensive back Adonis Alexander is now eligible to be selected. A three-year player for the Hokies, he has seven interceptions and 17 passes defensed. He’s a 6-foot, 3-inch, 207 pound player who has some versatility and fits some physical profiles for the Bengals.

Joining Alexander are Mississippi State safety Brandon Bryant and Western Michigan corner Sam Beal and they, too, fit positions and physical traits that suit the Bengals.

Bryant is just 5-11, 200 pounds but has been clocked running the 40-yard dash as low as 4.24 seconds and is incredibly strong. Beal is 6-2, 195 pounds and finished his career with two interceptions and 10 passes defensed.

The Bengals have some late round picks to play with.

They own all of their own picks in 2019 and are expected to have up to five, sixth-round picks (their own, one from Dallas in the Bené Benwikeretrade, and a projected three compensatory picks). While they don’t have the supplemental selections right now, they safely can presume they’ll get at least one and could therefore give up their own pick in the supplemental process without a blink.

The process for selecting players in the supplemental draft is different than the regular draft, however. Teams will submit the highest round they are willing to give up for a player, and if another team matches that round, the player will go to the team that has the highest draft order from the previous season. It does give the Bengals an advantage should they choose to make a pick, because they would have the 12th pick in each round.

I would love the sound of one of those safeties further bringing competition to a position group that has been very average for some time. Although I am also intrigued to see what Brandon Wilson can do now that he has had a year to acclimate himself and should be healthy. He is a hell of a returner, also.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So - if a team takes a supplemental pick, what does that do to them going forward? Are they down a pick in the regular draft the following year? Forgot the rules regarding the process.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 08:48 AM)BengalD Wrote: So - if a team takes a supplemental pick, what does that do to them going forward? Are they down a pick in the regular draft the following year? Forgot the rules regarding the process.

Correct.

In whatever round the supplemental was picked.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Alexander seems like a perfect fit for Seattle in a press heavy cover 3 as a CB, I would give up a 6th for him if I was Seattle. Beal is the only prospect I'd be interested in for the Bengals and even then I'm only giving up a 5th or 6th for him and I think someone gives a 4th for him (I wouldn't be terribly mad if we did go up to a 4th though). He is a legit press man corner, which is where we are heading, and could be a great insurance policy if we lose Dennard or Dre doesn't improve with the scheme change.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 09:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: Alexander seems like a perfect fit for Seattle in a press heavy cover 3 as a CB, I would give up a 6th for him if I was Seattle. Beal is the only prospect I'd be interested in for the Bengals and even then I'm only giving up a 5th or 6th for him and I think someone gives a 4th for him (I wouldn't be terribly mad if we did go up to a 4th though). He is a legit press man corner, which is where we are heading, and could be a great insurance policy if we lose Dennard or Dre doesn't improve with the scheme change.

Agree -- Beal's the only one of the three that I'm interested in.  I wouldn't have a problem giving up a 4th for him, as he's a legit prospect -- with one more good year (if he were eligible) he coulda been a first or second rounder.  I could see someone grabbing him in 3, although I think that's a bit high. 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 10:06 AM)shanebo Wrote: Agree -- Beal's the only one of the three that I'm interested in.  I wouldn't have a problem giving up a 4th for him, as he's a legit prospect -- with one more good year (if he were eligible) he coulda been a first or second rounder.  I could see someone grabbing him in 3, although I think that's a bit high. 

The crazy thing is Darius Phillips (who we took in the 5th) was the best CB on that team last year and he also has a plus grade as a returner. Everyone saying Beal could get taken with a 2nd in the supplemental must be banking on a desperate team going big with slim pickings. 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 09:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Correct.

True, and the Bengals may have multiple picks in the later rounds again.  I wonder if they won't offer a third rounder for one of those safeties.  It would take a third rounder in slot 11 or above to beat that.  
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 10:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: True, and the Bengals may have multiple picks in the later rounds again.  I wonder if they won't offer a third rounder for one of those safeties.  It would take a third rounder in slot 11 or above to beat that.  

Only one of those players is actually a safety and that is Bryant, Adonis is a big guy, but he is a CB. I mentioned before Adonis is a perfect fit in Seattle's press 3 defense, but outside that he will struggle. With that said neither guy mentioned is worth more than a 6th, Beal is the best player by far out of this group and I think a 4th is a little high for him and a 3rd is an over payment. 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 09:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: Alexander seems like a perfect fit for Seattle in a press heavy cover 3 as a CB, I would give up a 6th for him if I was Seattle. Beal is the only prospect I'd be interested in for the Bengals and even then I'm only giving up a 5th or 6th for him and I think someone gives a 4th for him (I wouldn't be terribly mad if we did go up to a 4th though). He is a legit press man corner, which is where we are heading, and could be a great insurance policy if we lose Dennard or Dre doesn't improve with the scheme change.

This is a great point, but also consider Dennard will likely command big money to sign, and we are already committed financially to Dre and WJIII.   My question is, would he be a good slot corner?  I don't see his body type as a great fit there, but the safety, Bryant might be.  I forget his name right now, but there was a kid out of Florida, Duke something, that I really wanted as a slot CB, but I am very happy with our draft overall.  
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 10:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is a great point, but also consider Dennard will likely command big money to sign, and we are already committed financially to Dre and WJIII.   My question is, would he be a good slot corner?  I don't see his body type as a great fit there, but the safety, Bryant might be.  I forget his name right now, but there was a kid out of Florida, Duke something, that I really wanted as a slot CB, but I am very happy with our draft overall.  

We don't actually have that much money in WJIII, he is on a rookie deal and we haven't even exercised his 5th year option yet. I think Phillips (5th round pick this year) can actually be a really good clot corner going forward as he was on the team with Beal and a better CB on tape. 

I don't think Dennard commands big money either unless he plays lights out this year, in which case I think we tag him. We could theoretically play him this year tag him next then cut Dre the following year with a smallish cap hit and move the money to Dennard.
Reply/Quote
I would go as high as a 2nd rounder on Mississippi State safety Brandon Bryant.

the other 2, 5th rounders. We really don't need the CB's, this year. But Bryant would help our Safeties out immensely.

I'm already worried that a few of our picks this year are going to make the team and might not even make our PS, so only grab a guy you think can replace someone on the 53 like Bryant.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 12:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I would go as high as a 2nd rounder on Mississippi State safety Brandon Bryant.

the other 2, 5th rounders. We really don't need the CB's, this year. But Bryant would help our Safeties out immensely.

I'm already worried that a few of our picks this year are going to make the team and might not even make our PS, so only grab a guy you think can replace someone on the 53 like Bryant.

Bryant doesn't make this team, that would be a horrible over reach. He can hit hard and run fast that's about it,He is a late round flyer at best. He worked in a 4 man safety rotation....you aren't in a 4 man safety rotation if you are a 2nd round level prospect. 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 09:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Correct.

Are they allowed to use comp picks in exchange?
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 01:41 PM)BengalD Wrote: Are they allowed to use comp picks in exchange?

No.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 01:41 PM)BengalD Wrote: Are they allowed to use comp picks in exchange?

No, but most teams have an idea as to what they’ll get in terms of comp picks on the next draft. Comp pick analysts have projected 3 6th round picks for next year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: We don't actually have that much money in WJIII, he is on a rookie deal and we haven't even exercised his 5th year option yet. I think Phillips (5th round pick this year) can actually be a really good clot corner going forward as he was on the team with Beal and a better CB on tape. 

I don't think Dennard commands big money either unless he plays lights out this year, in which case I think we tag him. We could theoretically play him this year tag him next then cut Dre the following year with a smallish cap hit and move the money to Dennard.

That may work for Dennard, but I think he will command high dollars elsewhere.  He was a very highly ranked CB, and well above the already paid Dre Kirk.  
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 10:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: The crazy thing is Darius Phillips (who we took in the 5th) was the best CB on that team last year and he also has a plus grade as a returner. Everyone saying Beal could get taken with a 2nd in the supplemental must be banking on a desperate team going big with slim pickings. 

Phillips was the better college player last year, true.  But Beal is considered by the "experts" to be the better NFL prospect -- he's bigger (6'1" v. 5'10"), younger by a year, projected to play outside, and he's a converted WR who has only played CB for two years.  So he's got the potential that draftniks love.

That said, I doubt anyone will use a 2 on him.  Teams are notoriously stingy when it comes to supplemental picks.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:15 AM)shanebo Wrote: Phillips was the better college player last year, true.  But Beal is considered by the "experts" to be the better NFL prospect -- he's bigger (6'1" v. 5'10"), younger by a year, projected to play outside, and he's a converted WR who has only played CB for two years.  So he's got the potential that draftniks love.

That said, I doubt anyone will use a 2 on him.  Teams are notoriously stingy when it comes to supplemental picks.  

Projections are just that, projections. Beal hasn't put together a season as good as Phillips playing against the exact same competition. This was supposed to be his year, however he won't play this year so you have to kind of compare what we have seen so far. Phillips actually was one of the best CB's in the country last year in passes defended. He just as easily could have bombed this year like so many guys do that are mocked super high in May do the next year haha. Rey Mauluga was a top 5 projected player the mock drafts right after the draft the year before he left.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:15 AM)shanebo Wrote:   Teams are notoriously stingy when it comes to supplemental picks.  

A lot of that has to do with why they are in the supplemental draft.  Usually it is a guy that gets kicked off a team or losses his eligibility for some reason.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of that has to do with why they are in the supplemental draft.  Usually it is a guy that gets kicked off a team or losses his eligibility for some reason.

Josh Gordon is kind of the poster child for why it's such a boom bust process.
Reply/Quote