Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas hasn’t asked a question in a decade
(02-23-2016, 12:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: The State of the union is as appropriate a time as any when you ar POTUS.

Not like he could go and argue with them at the court.

Yeah that's on purpose.  It was completely inappropriate, and I'd bet the justices on the left were not thrilled either.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-23-2016, 12:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah that's on purpose.  It was completely inappropriate, and I'd bet the justices on the left were not thrilled either.

Understand also that Thomas hasn't gone in years.

Probably afraid he'll have to ask a question?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-23-2016, 01:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: Understand also that Thomas hasn't gone in years.

Probably afraid he'll have to ask a question?

Now that i think about it, the President's representative can argue in front of the court.  so he can have a say there if it involves his office.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-23-2016, 12:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah that's what it was.  Just regular criticism.  Or maybe it was a two year old who didn't like a decision and decided to whine about it at an inappropriate time.  

Or maybe you are the crybaby and don't like the fact that the president disagrees with you.

Why would this topic be off limits in the SOTU address?  The president has every right to disagree with the Supreme Court.
(02-23-2016, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe you are the crybaby and don't like the fact that the president disagrees with you.

Why would this topic be off limits in the SOTU address?  The president has every right to disagree with the Supreme Court.
Uh yeah I'm really bummed the President disagrees with me.  We had a great streak going until then.

To address them directly?  That was ridiculous.  Supreme Courts make decisions Presidents disagree with all the time, and I have never seen one pull that.

(02-23-2016, 01:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: To address them directly?  That was ridiculous.  Supreme Courts make decisions Presidents disagree with all the time, and I have never seen one pull that.

Ronald Reagan called the Roe v Wade decision an outrage and was constantly campaigning to have it overturned by legislation.  Basically the exact same thing that Obama did with Citizens United.

So does that make Reagan a "crybaby"?
(02-23-2016, 01:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ronald Reagan called the Roe v Wade decision an outrage and was constantly campaigning to have it overturned by legislation.  Basically the exact same thing that Obama did with Citizens United.

So does that make Reagan a "crybaby"?

Did Reagan call out the SCOTUS at the State of the Union?
(02-23-2016, 01:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did Reagan call out the SCOTUS at the State of the Union?

Don't know what difference that would make, but in his final State of the Union Address he not only addressed legis;lation to overturn the court on abortion, but also plugged his "School Prayer Amendment" to overturn the Court on that issue as well.
(02-23-2016, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know what difference that would make, but in his final State of the Union Address he not only addressed legis;lation to overturn the court on abortion, but also plugged his "School Prayer Amendment" to overturn the Court on that issue as well.

I was curious, that's all.

I'm of the opinion it takes more balls to say you disagree in front of a group than at a fundraiser.
(02-23-2016, 02:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: I was curious, that's all.

I'm of the opinion it takes more balls to say you disagree in front of a group than at a fundraiser.

It takes no balls when the people can't respond to you there.  

(02-23-2016, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It takes no balls when the people can't respond to you there.  

This is getting ridiculous.

What about when the president makes a comment to the media and no one is around to disagree with him?

Obama could cure cancer tomorrow and guys like Michaelsean would be ripping him for taking too long and letting so many people die.
(02-23-2016, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It takes no balls when the people can't respond to you there.  

I see what you are saying, but I disagree to a point.  

It takes massive balls to tell someone in the room they were wrong...when half the people in the room are ready to jump up and boo you anyway.

It is easier to do it on a friendly talk show like the View or the morning FOX show where everyone will agree with it.
(02-23-2016, 02:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting ridiculous.

What about when the president makes a comment to the media and no one is around to disagree with him?

Obama could cure cancer tomorrow and guys like Michaelsean would be ripping him for taking too long and letting so many people die.

No when they are sitting right there in the front row and you call them out on it looking right at them, it is in bad taste. 

Look through the threads and see how much I am ripping on Obama. 

(02-23-2016, 02:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No when they are sitting right there in the front row and you call them out on it looking right at them, it is in bad taste. 

I still don't see how this topic is off limits in the SOTU address.  It was a big issue.  I don't think he should be muzled just because the justices were in the room.  Doesn't the President usually also criticize laws the congress has passed when they are in the room also.
(02-23-2016, 02:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I still don't see how this topic is off limits in the SOTU address.  It was a big issue.  I don't think he should be muzled just because the justices were in the room.  Doesn't the President usually also criticize laws the congress has passed when they are in the room also.

Congress aren't invited guests.  They are who the SOTU is for.   I found it in bad taste.  You didn't.  

In case anyone hasn't heard, Justice Thomas broke his silence today.