Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprised Cuts
The Colts game (which was painful to watch) ends the preseason. The time is looming for some talented players who do not make the 53-man roster. I know Luvnit2 has final cuts but please List your surprised cuts here:

I will have to go with Malone. I thought he would be a surprised break out player but I do not feel he accomplished enough to make the 53-man roster.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Agree that Malone appears to be the odd man out at WR. I had high hopes when they drafted him that he could become the next Marvin Jones here. He just never put it together. Core outplayed him this preseason and deserves the final WR spot if they keep 7.
Reply/Quote
Cody Core, only because I want to rile up people.

I can hear it now... "Cody Core is the best special teams player ever, we cant cut him!"
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 08:05 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Cody Core, only because I want to rile up people.

I can hear it now... "Cody Core is the best special teams player ever, we cant cut him!"

Why would anyone be upset?  He's had 3 years, and now a 4th training camp, in order to show something that obviously isn't there.  Personally, I think that it's a strong likelihood that both Core and Malone get cut.  

Both of those guys have been outplayed, out hustled, and shown less fire and desire than the current batch of UDFA/late round pickups.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Malik Jefferson, another wasted 3rd pick
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 08:25 AM)corpjet Wrote: Malik Jefferson, another wasted 3rd pick

Another one that I agree with, that should also not come as a surprise.  I don't know how the Bengals got onto drafting LBs based purely upon physical traits, rather than football instinct and acumen.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 08:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why would anyone be upset?  He's had 3 years, and now a 4th training camp, in order to show something that obviously isn't there.  Personally, I think that it's a strong likelihood that both Core and Malone get cut.  

Both of those guys have been outplayed, out hustled, and shown less fire and desire than the current batch of UDFA/late round pickups.

Because there are many on here that put way too much emphasis on a guy who's "good" at special teams, and thats been alot of the arguments for keeping Core over..... Malone, Tate, etc.
Reply/Quote
I can see John Jerry getting cut depending on other teams cuts and if a better option becomes available.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 08:37 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Because there are many on here that put way too much emphasis on a guy who's "good" at special teams, and thats been alot of the arguments for keeping Core over..... Malone, Tate, etc.

Bah!  Special teamer's are developed every year.  Unless someone really makes it their entire reason for being, ala Cedric Peerman, the ST's excuse is a lame one for keeping lame players around.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bah!  Special teamer's are developed every year.  Unless someone really makes it their entire reason for being, ala Cedric Peerman, the ST's excuse is a lame one for keeping lame players around.

Agreed

Core has 30 receptions and 1 TD in three full NFL seasons. It's time to move on
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bah!  Special teamer's are developed every year.  Unless someone really makes it their entire reason for being, ala Cedric Peerman, the ST's excuse is a lame one for keeping lame players around.

I feel you man. I think its silly, but regardless there's still people on here claiming Core should get a spot over others because of "special teams value".

I was saying this when we had Peerman as well, dude was atrocious when he was asked to take snaps at running back, but no we couldn't cut him because he was our best special teamer. I'm sure most players when given a chance could contribute to special teams, unless they are completely allergic to basic blocking and tackling.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:08 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I feel you man. I think its silly, but regardless there's still people on here claiming Core should get a spot over others because of "special teams value".

I was saying this when we had Peerman as well, dude was atrocious when he was asked to take snaps at running back, but no we couldn't cut him because he was our best special teamer. I'm sure most players when given a chance could contribute to special teams, unless they are completely allergic to basic blocking and tackling.

That may be true in some situations, where it is a toss up between two players of nominal value on Offense or Defense, and one has demonstrated outstanding willingness and desire to make plays on Special Teams.  I don't know that I've ever seen anything particularly special out of Core or Malone, as it applies to ST's contributions.  They seem just like another pair of empty helmets out there..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 08:05 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Cody Core, only because I want to rile up people.

Cody Core is the reason the sun shines in the morning.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:22 AM)Destro Wrote: Cody Core is the reason the sun shines in the morning.

Maybe in his Mama's eyes..  Around here, not so much.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That may be true in some situations, where it is a toss up between two players of nominal value on Offense or Defense, and one has demonstrated outstanding willingness and desire to make plays on Special Teams.  I don't know that I've ever seen anything particularly special out of Core or Malone, as it applies to ST's contributions.  They seem just like another pair of empty helmets out there..

It's like keeping your 7 best marksmen to defend a position while the rest of the company attacks over here. Well let's keep this guy as No. 7, he can't shoot worth a damn but he sure can cook up some chow.  :paul:
Reply/Quote
So do y'all keep 6 WR or someone not named Core or Malone?
Reply/Quote
Special Teams are the least of our worries, keep the best players that can contribute in the 2 main facets of the game.

'Fat" Randy is our Special Teams GOD!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 08:25 AM)corpjet Wrote: Malik Jefferson, another wasted 3rd pick

I am thinking the same.
Malone too.

I heard the team was looking at converting Trayvon Henderson from S to LB. Perhaps he gets the final LB spot and is used as backup nickel LB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of Core or Malone. They've been here for a few years and have been underwhelming. This team should be all about a new energy. I'd be completely fine with the 7 WR ESPN picked for us to keep.

A.J. Green, John Ross, Tyler Boyd, Damion Willis, Auden Tate, Alex Erickson, and Ventell Bryant
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:44 AM)Second Down Wrote: I'm not a fan of Core or Malone. They've been here for a few years and have been underwhelming. This team should be all about a new energy. I'd be completely fine with the 7 WR ESPN picked for us to keep.

A.J. Green, John Ross, Tyler Boyd, Damion Willis, Auden Tate, Alex Erickson, and Ventell Bryant

That list would not surprise me one bit.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote