Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprised Cuts
John Jerry is the only cut so far I've been surprised by.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:47 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: John Jerry is the only cut so far I've been surprised by.

What's surprising about that?  The guy got smoked more often than Newports, outside the Justice Complex.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's surprising about that?  The guy got smoked more often than Newports, outside the Justice Complex.

I'm still getting use to them making the right decision. Was Turner's guy and there wasn't much in the way of competition which seemed to have opened up a roster spot for him. Presume O'Shea Dugas now makes it and they'll be pouring over the waiver wire for any O-line with a pulse.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:02 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I'm still getting use to them making the right decision. Was Turner's guy and there wasn't much in the way of competition which seemed to have opened up a roster spot for him. Presume O'Shea Dugas now makes it and they'll be pouring over the waiver wire for any O-line with a pulse.

I'm guessing that Dugas is practice squad material, at best.  He didn't look very strong, but has some qualities worth spending developmental time on.  

But yes, I expect them to make a trade for an OL.  I have no news item to back that up, just my own intuition based upon the moves they have made thus far.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm guessing that Dugas is practice squad material, at best.  He didn't look very strong, but has some qualities worth spending developmental time on.  

But yes, I expect them to make a trade for an OL.  I have no news item to back that up, just my own intuition based upon the moves they have made thus far.

That's what I thought, which is why I expected them to keep Jerry. Dugas and Dolegala looked to be players you keep on the PS for a year and they compete for a place on the 53 next year. Maybe they both make it this year as there's not enough NFL caliber talent to fill up the roster.

Matthias Rankin was cut and I expect they'll make a waiver claim on him but think a few teams ahead of the Bengals will be putting in a claim too. The thing is with anyone you claim or trade for - it's going to be tough to feature without knowing the playbook. You're probably therefore making the move as much for 2020 as this year.
Reply/Quote
Another overrated bottom-of-the-depth-chart WR gets cut (Cody Core).

Who takes his place? Auden Tate?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Jets cut a 3rd pick from this year: Jachai Polite. Wasn't that long ago dude was in 1st RD talks. Vontaze Burfict anyone?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:43 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: That's what I thought, which is why I expected them to keep Jerry. Dugas and Dolegala looked to be players you keep on the PS for a year and they compete for a place on the 53 next year. Maybe they both make it this year as there's not enough NFL caliber talent to fill up the roster.

Matthias Rankin was cut and I expect they'll make a waiver claim on him but think a few teams ahead of the Bengals will be putting in a claim too. The thing is with anyone you claim or trade for - it's going to be tough to feature without knowing the playbook. You're probably therefore making the move as much for 2020 as this year.

Agreed, with the caveat that a guy acquired now, would be able to work his way in later in the season.  For an OL it shouldn't take all that long to figure out what the Bengals offense is asking of them.  Football is football, just different terms and specific assignments in varying systems.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 12:43 PM)pally Wrote: Cody Core has been released

I know Jefferson and Core were on the bubble but I must say that the new coaching staff is not messing around.  I am surprised in the sense that this is far-and-away what Lewis regime would have done.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Jets cut a 3rd pick from this year: Jachai Polite. Wasn't that long ago dude was in 1st RD talks. Vontaze Burfict anyone?

Wow.  I remember many on this forum wanted this guy.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Another overrated bottom-of-the-depth-chart WR gets cut (Cody Core).

I don't know Shake ? I don't think Tate is gonna be Jerry Rice 2.0 by any stretch, but the guy may be able to contribute.
Reply/Quote
I thought Schreck did well as TE, so I am a bit surprised he was cut. Maybe it was due to his injury history.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 08:25 AM)corpjet Wrote: Malik Jefferson, another wasted 3rd pick

Marvin’s draft record on 3rd round LB’s was terrible.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 06:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Wow.  I remember many on this forum wanted this guy.  

Character issues and poor testing. Pass
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 06:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know Shake ? I don't think Tate is gonna be Jerry Rice 2.0 by any stretch, but the guy may be able to contribute.

Sure, I guess one of these guys has to live up the Hobspin hype eventually. Maybe?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Another overrated bottom-of-the-depth-chart WR gets cut (Cody Core).

[Image: source.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 08:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: source.gif]

30 catches, 360 yards, 1 TD in 3 years, then cut. He sucked.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 30 catches, 360 yards, 1 TD in 3 years, then cut. He sucked.

That slap was for the Tate comment.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote