Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprising
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/clintons-wonky-policies-of-fine-grained-complexity-contrast-with-rivals-grandiose-ideas/2016/05/08/7a6f4b66-10a3-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html

So, here is what is surprising from the article above, in case you don't have time to read it.

They quote a guy from the Cato Institute. That is a libertarian think tank in case you don't know what it is.

He says that of the presumed candidates, one has no business being President: Donald Trump. He adds that Hillary is quite qualified to be President, even though he disagrees with her on virtually everything!

This is a surprising and remarkable statement. In effect he is saying he would vote for Hillary Clinton who diametrically opposes him on every issue as she is capable of being President and he would not vote for Trump with whom he agrees on at least some if not many things.

Yeah, he is just one voice, but this has to either shock and anger some folks or shock them and cause them to reassess the situation.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
The only policy of trumps that I like is his plan for immigration and illegals. Unfortunately I don't think he will follow through on that promise. Which will just be more of the same bs.
Clinton may actually have as much in common with him as Trump does. It depends on whether he puts more weight in the social libertarianism than he does in economic libertarianism.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-12-2016, 10:42 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Clinton may actually have as much in common with him as Trump does. It depends on whether he puts more weight in the social libertarianism than he does in economic libertarianism.

I don't keep up with it as much as I used to, but a few years ago Cato was focusing far more on economics than social issues. Your point is well taken, as Hillary is definitely a right winger on economics. But Cato folks had moved to the extreme right which would explain him saying he disagrees with her on pretty much everything.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(05-13-2016, 07:14 AM)xxlt Wrote: I don't keep up with it as much as I used to, but a few years ago Cato was focusing far more on economics than social issues. Your point is well taken, as Hillary is definitely a right winger on economics. But Cato folks had moved to the extreme right which would explain him saying he disagrees with her on pretty much everything.

Sometimes I read stuff from Cato and question if it's some faux libertarianism (Tea Party / Liberty), sometimes it reads as more liberal leaning libertarianism, and sometimes it reads as work from those obnoxious internet philosophers, the ones that jerk off to Rothbard and  are more interested in the theoretical and not the practical. 

I can't speak to his personal views, just to the reality that being libertarian does not mean you align more with Republicans, especially not Donald Trump who is just a populist running as a libertarian. I haven't voted for a Democrat or Republican for President. For Congressional elections and local elections, I sometimes vote Republican, I sometimes vote Democrat. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-12-2016, 08:17 PM)xxlt Wrote: He adds that Hillary is quite qualified to be President, even though he disagrees with her on virtually everything!

What is so shocking? The two are separate issues.
(05-13-2016, 10:48 AM)Vlad Wrote: What is so shocking? The two are separate issues.

I'd be willing to call it unprecedented. Yes they are separate issues, but I defy you to point to another election where one candidate from either major party was deemed to be completely incapable of holding the office by multiple politicos, including elected officials and advocates of the party whose standard that candidate would bear.

I've never seen a person say, 'I have no choice but to vote for this candidate with whom I agree on NOTHING because the other candidate is completely inept.' I've never heard anything like it from 'Joe Average' not to mention from someone from a political think tank.
(05-13-2016, 10:46 PM)xxlt Wrote: I'd be willing to call it unprecedented. Yes they are separate issues, but I defy you to point to another election where one candidate from either major party was deemed to be completely incapable of holding the office by multiple politicos, including elected officials and advocates of the party whose standard that candidate would bear.

I've never seen a person say, 'I have no choice but to vote for this candidate with whom I agree on NOTHING because the other candidate is completely inept.' I've never heard anything like it from 'Joe Average' not to mention from someone from a political think tank.

But your comparing this election to a traditional politician vs. politician. This entire election is unprecedented because one presumptive nominee is not a politician. It is unprecedented that a non politician has amassed the most primary votes in history.

Its reasonable and easy to suggest that a non-politician would be inept. I too think he will be inept if doesn't get the best advisors working for him. Trump has already conceded to that.
I'll take my chances with Trump. For one, listening to that hideous cackling voice for 4 years would be unbearable.
(05-13-2016, 11:18 PM)Vlad Wrote: But your comparing this election to a traditional politician vs. politician. This entire election is unprecedented because one presumptive nominee is not a politician. It is unprecedented that a non politician has amassed the most primary votes in history.

Its reasonable and easy to suggest that a non-politician would be inept. I too think he will be inept if doesn't get the best advisors working for him. Trump has already conceded to that.
I'll take my chances with Trump. For one, listening to that hideous cackling voice for 4 years would be unbearable.

I may have to rethink my position on the legalization of drugs.
(05-13-2016, 11:18 PM)Vlad Wrote: But your comparing this election to a traditional politician vs. politician. This entire election is unprecedented because one presumptive nominee is not a politician. It is unprecedented that a non politician has amassed the most primary votes in history.

Like you ever listen to anyone on the other side.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.