Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sustainability vs. Win Now
I think we are on the cusp of winning a Super Bowl. That being said, for how long? It's great to add future talent, but we need to worry about winning now.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Vigil is a win now prospect... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 01:08 AM)Beaker Wrote: This thread is moot now. We drafted Nick Vigil. The Bengals have obviously adopted a win now attitude.

(04-30-2016, 10:51 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Vigil is a win now prospect... Ninja

Who could we have taken who would have helped us "win now"?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Who could we have taken who would have helped us "win now"?

Josh Perry OLB Ohio State.
Maybe a Safety, or a DT

Why should I argue anyways though, when your coup de gras is that the Bengals coaches and staff are infinitely better than us and whatever they chose was indefinitely more intelligent. No point in arguing with you when you will always come back to that.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:55 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Josh Perry OLB Ohio State.
Maybe a Safety, or a DT

Why should I argue anyways though, when your coup de gras is that the Bengals coaches and staff are infinitely better than us and whatever they chose was indefinitely more intelligent. No point in arguing with you when you will always come back to that.

In this case I am talking about all 32 NFL teams, not just the Bengals.

But it will take a could of seasons to settle these arguments anyway.  So they are kind of pointless.

I just wish we still had all the mock drafts from the last several years from the old site.  That way i could show how all of the "experts" here had been wrong about players just as often, if not more so, than the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 04:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals took another corner back in the draft yesterday. Many analysts say he was the best player on the board when it was the Bengals turn to pick. Many people would also agree that corner back wasn't really a huge need for the Bengals as how their team is currently constructed.

My question for you guys is, are you OK with picking for sustainability or would you rather be picking with more of a win now type of philosophy?

The Bengals themselves have said that they don't see WJ3 playing much this year, so are you OK with that? Would you have rather seen the Bengals make a pick that would have had an immediate impact on the roster? Would you have rather seen them take a linebacker or wide receiver that could step in and contribute this year rather than take a kid that's not going to play for at least another year?

I personally am fine with the pick, but sometimes I would like the Bengals to do something to press the issue and really get a sense or urgency to try and win now. Maybe trade up and get the best receiver in the draft. Just do something to try and really put this team over the edge.

I know its not their style, and their style has been working out for them lately so its kind of hard to question, but man, sometimes you just have to think what would happen if this team really went after a player that would make an immediate impact on the roster. We have so many pieces already, why not try and get that final piece of the puzzle instead of getting a duplicate piece of the puzzle?
We all want to win now, but each year is a different draft scenario. In 2016 with us drafting 24th, it would have cost us 5 picks to get to the top 5 in my opinion for a true impact player. Some may say Doctson would have cost us a 4th or 5th round so if you or the Bengals felt the loss of Doctson for Boyd and a second player was worth it, they would have done it. But, it is very risky giving up valuable picks. I missed the Bengals stating Jackson would not play much in 2016. But, he may not due to our veteran group or he may be ready by week 8 to contribute or be forced to play due to injury. It is tough, but I like the Bengals draft strategy and think it is why we are very competitive now every year where in the past,  it was 1 good team every 15 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:51 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Vigil is a win now prospect... Ninja

I know you are being sarcastic, but he will be a great special team player year one and I can see him helping us win. I knew about him, my guess is you did not. I suggest you take a look at his film, he has speed, toughness and a high motor. He is a play making 3 down LB.  I loved the pick as did others like Prisco who gave the Bengals an "A" for the Vigil pick. I hope in round 4 we go after the WR from Tulsa Keyarris Garrett who is big (6"s") and fast. He is another guy many have not heard of, but has some great physical skills.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:55 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Josh Perry OLB Ohio State.
Maybe a Safety, or a DT

We already have starting safeties and LBs. A safety would have been drafted for depth also, as would any other LB.
Reply/Quote
I think the OP's phrasing of the question misses the point entirely.

Nobody is advocating for the FO to do a full 180 and adopt a win-now mindset. Most people are only asking for a slight deviation from it; to not adhere to it 100% of the time, every time.

The fact that we've seen some teams do exactly that and win a super bowl a short year later makes the Bengals' religious adherence to "sustainability"  even more mind boggling. It's like working in a corporate office and hearing employees say "that's just the way we do things".

It's infuriating.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 01:15 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The fact that we've seen some teams do exactly that and win a super bowl a short year later makes the Bengals' religious adherence to "sustainability"  even more mind boggling. It's like working in a corporate office and hearing employees say "that's just the way we do things".

It's infuriating.

Nothing "mind boggling" or "infuriating" about it.

Lots of teams win championships without sacrificing the future to "win now", and lots of teams try the "win now" approach and fail miserably.

The only people who think that it is "mind boggling" just don't look around at what every other team in the league is doing.  If the formula was the ONLY way to win or if it worked EVERY TIME then then it would be "mind boggling" and "infuriating" but that is not the case at all.
Reply/Quote