Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet Lou
So has the narrative that we only got Lou because no one else would coach for Taylor died? Has Lou done enough yet for fans to say he actually was a great pick for DC, who struggled with Marvin's players his first year, and was devastating injuries his second year. Now in his 3rd year, he has a top 10 defense. Or will it take a good showing in Baltimore this week to change the narrative.
Reply/Quote
It's impossible to erase your past, but you can re-write your future.

Lou was considered a below average coach and mediocre/bad hire at the time based on his history in the league. But he seems to have put together a squad of guys who believe in his vision and he's showing that his early career struggles may have been due to personnel rather than him. Or, even better, he improved based on his past failures and is now a better coach for them.

Either way, the defense is playing great right now and Lou is a big part of that. I'm glad he's developed the way ZT envisioned.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals’ defense has been the biggest surprise in the entire NFL this season. However, the “big test” comes against the Baltimore Ravens this weekend. While Marvin Lewis had the Ratbirds’ number, a Zac Taylor coached team has yet to beat them. What the Steelers were to Marvin Lewis is what the Ravens are to Zac Taylor.

Now back to Lou Anarumo; I’m very impressed with all he’s done with the players he’s either drafted or brought in via free agency. Cincinnati is now allowing roughly HALF the points than the defense did under Teryl Austin.

Shutting down the Ravens is not easy and I’ve only seen one team in the past three years do it successfully. That would be the Tennessee Titans who found a way using delayed blitzes to shut down Lamar Jackson. Let’s not forget Baltimore’s offensive line is excellent and their offensive coordinator Greg Roman has figured a way to mold their offensive scheme to leverage Jackson’s strengths.

It would be a true accomplishment for Lou Anarumo if he shuts down the Ravens’ formidable passing and rushing attack.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I didn't see the Lions game, but they held them to 17-19. It can be done.
Reply/Quote
I recall last year in one of meetings
Lou did a fine job of holding the Ravens
Offense in check. He has grown as a DC.
This is a game that will really tell us
How much he has really came into his
Own as a DC.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 09:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't see the Lions game, but they held them to 17-19. It can be done.

Yep; + In the first meeting last year the Defense held Baltimore to just 20 point and completely shut down Lamar.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The 2020 defense scheme looked good but the beat up practice squad defensive line could not execute.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 09:26 AM)J24 Wrote: Yep; + In the first meeting last year the Defense held Baltimore to just 20 point and completely shut down Lamar.

I've referenced this a few times, as it was what gave me some hope w/ him going forward, and holding off on evaluating him until seeing how he worked with an actual competent personnel this season.   
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 08:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So has the narrative that we only got Lou because no one else would coach for Taylor died? Has Lou done enough yet for fans to say he actually was a great pick for DC, who struggled with Marvin's players his first year, and was devastating injuries his second year. Now in his 3rd year, he has a top 10 defense. Or will it take a good showing in Baltimore this week to change the narrative.

More than that, for me.
You can't replace 32 games (2019 and 2020) with just 6 or 7 games.
I wanna see how the defense plays through the season before I feel that he's a good DC.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 10:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: More than that, for me.
I wanna see how the defense plays through the season before I feel that he's a good DC.

I think it's completely fair to wait and continue to evaluate him, and actually agree.  However, I don't believe any defensive coordinator in the league could've looked good with the seasons you referenced.  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 09:15 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals’ defense has been the biggest surprise in the entire NFL this season.  However, the “big test” comes against the Baltimore Ravens this weekend.  While Marvin Lewis had the Ratbirds’ number, a Zac Taylor coached team has yet to beat them.  What the Steelers were to Marvin Lewis is what the Ravens are to Zac Taylor.

Now back to Lou Anarumo; I’m very impressed with all he’s done with the players he’s either drafted or brought in via free agency.  Cincinnati is now allowing roughly HALF the points than the defense did under Teryl Austin.

Shutting down the Ravens is not easy and I’ve only seen one team in the past three years do it successfully. That would be the Tennessee Titans who found a way using delayed blitzes to shut down Lamar Jackson.  Let’s not forget Baltimore’s offensive line is excellent and their offensive coordinator Greg Roman has figured a way to mold their offensive scheme to leverage Jackson’s strengths.  

It would be a true accomplishment for Lou Anarumo if he shuts down the Ravens’ formidable passing and rushing attack.

Ironically, I recall the Chargers doing a good job in a playoff game a few yrs ago VS Ravens and correct me if Im wrong but didnt the Bengals D do a solid job in our 1st game VS Balt and Lamar last season before the wheels came off  and allowed like 1000 yds on week 16? I think the recipe is there  and we now have a much better squad.   I think the recipe is there , I just hope sweet lou can spice it up and throw some unorthodox stuff at LJ. 
Reply/Quote
The defense has certainly come out with a different attitude this year. I haven't dissected what's different from the previous years to this, but it's a breath of fresh air to see. Everyone loves a high-flying offense, but I love seeing a tough defense on field. This week will absolutely be a test. And a few others down the stretch that will show just how far they've come. But I've loved watching them take the field, and seeing Lou improve as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 09:42 AM)Synric Wrote: The 2020 defense scheme looked good but the beat up practice squad defensive line could not execute.

This is the thing that consistently was mentioned by myself and others. In the NFL back ups are back ups for a reason and when you are running out the back ups to the back ups then you are going to look bad all over. Every position group compliments the other and when multiple groups, don't forget beyond Dline the secondary was wrecked, you are going to be bad no matter who the coach is.

In reality there were times last year I was really impressed with what he was doing schematically. Even times where it failed, and people claimed it was "stupid" or "boneheaded" to play that (they were wrong by the way) I could still appreciate why he was trying to do it. This year we have seen how well it works with a more capable cast of characters.
Reply/Quote
He’s not Mike Zimmer, who we knew was a good coach from year one when he was still finding success with guys off the streets.

Might have set him up for failure as he never really had a lot of money in his defensive units.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 10:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: More than that, for me.

That's how I feel.  Less than 2 months ago we were still thinking that Lou was behind ZT's terrible W/L record because "Even Bellichick couldn't win with Lou as his DC" and so on.

We have to at least see how the rest of this season plays out.   The fact that our defense being good is a tremendous surprise that has our jaws on the floor should be evidence as to how low the bar was going into the season.  Lou and ZT both look a lot better this year, but it's still a bit early to declare them out of the immense holes they've dug.

And yea, we can go on about how starting off so utterly terrible "wasn't their fault" but then we get into admitting that the Bengals' organization is utter crap, so meh...no real positive way to spin this.  So far so good, wait 'n' see etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 12:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's how I feel.  Less than 2 months ago we were still thinking that Lou was behind ZT's terrible W/L record because "Even Bellichick couldn't win with Lou as his DC" and so on.

We have to at least see how the rest of this season plays out.   The fact that our defense being good is a tremendous surprise that has our jaws on the floor should be evidence as to how low the bar was going into the season.  Lou and ZT both look a lot better this year, but it's still a bit early to declare them out of the immense holes they've dug.

And yea, we can go on about how starting off so utterly terrible "wasn't their fault" but then we get into admitting that the Bengals' organization is utter crap, so meh...no real positive way to spin this.  So far so good, wait 'n' see etc.

I don't think that is necessarily true. His first year he did not get a chance to pick his players and tried to implement his schemes with the wrong type players, which may have been on him, but there is no way you could blame them for the severe rash of injuries and covid opt outs that completely devastated this team. That was just happenstance.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 01:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think that is necessarily true. His first year he did not get a chance to pick his players and tried to implement his schemes with the wrong type players, which may have been on him, but there is no way you could blame them for the severe rash of injuries and covid opt outs that completely devastated this team. That was just happenstance.

So he's technically a rookie. 
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 02:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So he's technically a rookie. 

Not what I said at all....
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 02:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not what I said at all....

Ah mellow out, I'm just making some fun.  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2021, 02:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah mellow out, I'm just making some fun.  

I am mellow.... Wink
Reply/Quote