Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet Lou, Week Two
A trend from the last two years that I’m hoping we cleanse this Sunday is our week 2 woes on defense. In both years, we came in and looked great week 1, but took major steps back in week 2.

2019, kept russel in check most the game and I remember we were very excited by the defense that day despite the loss. We got demolished by the 49ers the following week. (They did go on to the Super Bowl and was a great team that year.)

2020, held the Chargers in check with a strong defensive effort. Then week 2 let Mayfield and the Browns drop 35 on us… the infamous late game drive where the D looked helpless if I remember correctly. (Browns were a great team last year as well, can’t forget.)

So, week 1 of 2021, defense looks great. But can Lou have this defense ready to stay on track in week 2? Is Lou better on a longer planning period (week 1, post bye week games) which then doesn’t translate to regular weeks?

Loved week 1 and how the defense looked, let’s see if they can maintain the momentum into week 2. For the record, I think they do, this years D is different.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 03:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: A trend from the last two years that I’m hoping we cleanse this Sunday is our week 2 woes on defense. In both years, we came in and looked great week 1, but took major steps back in week 2.

2019, kept russel in check most the game and I remember we were very excited by the defense that day despite the loss. We got demolished by the 49ers the following week. (They did go on to the Super Bowl and was a great team that year.)

2020, held the Chargers in check with a strong defensive effort. Then week 2 let Mayfield and the Browns drop 35 on us… the infamous late game drive where the D looked helpless if I remember correctly. (Browns were a great team last year as well, can’t forget.)

So, week 1 of 2021, defense looks great. But can Lou have this defense ready to stay on track in week 2? Is Lou better on a longer planning period (week 1, post bye week games) which then doesn’t translate to regular weeks?

Loved week 1 and how the defense looked, let’s see if they can maintain the momentum into week 2. For the record, I think they do, this years D is different.

What sets this year's team apart is the stout play up front. That hasn't been the case the last few years. If they continue to wreak havoc, I think we'll see an improved unit overall.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 03:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: A trend from the last two years that I’m hoping we cleanse this Sunday is our week 2 woes on defense. In both years, we came in and looked great week 1, but took major steps back in week 2.

I wondered how much of that was a conditioning issue in 2019, seeing the massive drop off in energy, but a lot of it was SF knew that the Bengals couldn't cover sideline to sideline, and they exploited it.  That, and the incredibly STUPID decision to wear the black jerseys in 90 degree heat.  

As far as 2020, it was a short week and both teams gave up a lot of points.  

They are healthier and they have more depth to rotate players in.  I hope we see more of Sample and Hodge on passing downs to keep them all fresh.  Dalton struggles with pressure in his face (who doesn't) and he doesn't have the speed to get away from the edge rushers.  
Reply/Quote
I think it changes this year as GCB said, this D is different and as Wyche said the stout front should be the difference.

This frees up the rest of the Defense to play instinctually and not have OL reaching our LB's at the 2nd level.

Besides Apple I also like our Secondary a lot. I know Hilton gave up that TD but that was a tough matchup they exploited.

Won't have to face a Thielen this week, that dude is as good a Slot WR as our guy.

If Fields starts, keep him in the pocket, contain Montgomery and Kmet and we win this game on the road IMO.
Reply/Quote
Yeah both of those years those teams were very good. I don't think the Bears will turn out to be nearly as good. Also I think we have a really good group on defense this year that'll keep us competitive in most of our games.
Reply/Quote
Lou has his guys now, fast and smart players who bought into his system. I expect they'll come out on fire again this week and it will continue to build. (now don't let me down guys)
Reply/Quote
The key defensive strategy I would use this week is to key on Montgomery.  That dude is a beast.  He'll get his, but just contain him and make the Bears QB's beat us over the top, if they can.  Our secondary is really good so it'll be easier said than done.  If Fields sees the field (no pun intended), don't let him beat us with the run.  Contain the pocket with our D-Line and let our LBs smother the backs out of the backfield and chase down the QBs.  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 10:03 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The key defensive strategy I would use this week is to key on Montgomery.  That dude is a beast.  He'll get his, but just contain him and make the Bears QB's beat us over the top, if they can.  Our secondary is really good so it'll be easier said than done.  If Fields sees the field (no pun intended), don't let him beat us with the run.  Contain the pocket with our D-Line and let our LBs smother the backs out of the backfield and chase down the QBs.  

Knew you would like Montgomery, damn good RB from the Cyclones. I don't know if he is quite Dalvin Cook but he is good.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 01:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Knew you would like Montgomery, damn good RB from the Cyclones. I don't know if he is quite Dalvin Cook but he is good.

They have another one coming up that’ll be playing on Sundays, if not next year, the year after. Breece Hall.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Isn't the bigger picture trend that they tend to hang with the decent to meh teams, and get pummeled by the really good teams? I know the past two weeks 1 and 2 align with that, but it's a trend in general. Luckily Chicago isn't a really good team. They were certainly more disruptive up front than they were last season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Well we got the monkey off our back losing close games in the season openers the last two years by winning the season open last week. This game will keep that theme going as the season of new good experiences for Bengal fans keeps rolling.
Reply/Quote
The Rams basically conceded the run and played to cutoff the big pass plays. Let's see what we do.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 03:57 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: They have another one coming up that’ll be playing on Sundays, if not next year, the year after.  Breece Hall.

Yeah, I like Breece Hall maybe even more than Montgomery. Great patience and vision.
Reply/Quote