Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synric's Mock Me
Free Agency always comes before the draft.

Vonn Bell
Eli Apple
Samaje Perine
Mitchell Wilcox

George Fant OT
Foster Moreau TE
Drue Tranquill LB

I wanted to add 3 expectedly cheaper outside free agents the Bengals could peruse to really open up the draft for them. I feel George Fant, Foster Moreau and Drue Tranquill could all come in and fill a major role but not break the bank. Its also smart for each player George Fant comes to a team that is in an offensive tackle flux with Collins and Williams. For Foster Moreau if Hayden Hurst prices himself out of Cincinnati that will be two TE's in two years to earn big contracts. Drue coming off his first year as a starter played really well but a short prove it deal in a good defense could earn him a big contract. Also a plus for all three Free Agents is the current Bengals successful trend brings more exposure to them.

Its a good year to target mid level free agents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 NFL Draft:

1. Luke Musgrave TE Oregon State
2. Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland
3. Tyjae Spears RB Tulane
4. Riley Moss CB Iowa
5. Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green
6. Mohamed Ibrahim RB Minnesota
7. Brenton Strange TE Penn State

I understand I will get blow back with the first pick and that's ok but it is a possibility. Luke Musgrave is possibly the biggest mismatch nightmare of this draft class. They are predicting he has an athletic profile close to Tee Higgins at 6'5.5 255lbs. Blocking will come up when mentioning Musgrave and he has the size length athleticism to be a very effective blocker. I don't expect him to be a people mover but the will  be able to hold his own. As expected his value lies in his receiving ability as a player you can line up all over the field, motion, and just a general headache. 

I am struggling over where Jaelyn Duncan should be slotted. He had such a great Senior Bowl week and shown he is one of the few possible starting LT's in this draft class but his overall tape is very inconsistent wild hands wild feet etc. Duncan does bring range to the offensive line that doesnt have any right now. I because of his tape Duncan had slid to the 3rd round for me but after his senior bowl week I really like the way he came in prepared and looked good. Question Marks but his arrow is pointing up.

Baltimore brought in Roquan Smith Bengals raise them Luke Musgrave and Tyjae Spears. Like Musgrave Spears brings much needed speed to the first level of the offense. Spears isn't an every down back but he is a weapon the Bengals can use to attack the constant cover 2. He can really stress the edges of defenses that the Bengals have been missing the last couple years. Joe Burrow really found a grove when it comes finding his RB's quickly as an outlet. They will have to get Spears into the Giovani Bernard school of pass blocking though lol.

This corner group caused me to rearrange this mock draft several times slotting in different guys in different places because there are so many guys in this years class because of that a really good corner Riley Moss is going to slid due to length. Moss is a very smart corner with alot of experience. He can be depth at all 3 corner spots and play special teams.

Another casualty of a deep class Karl Brooks. Because he played at Bowling Green Brooks played strong side edge at 290-300lbs. Surprised how much speed and bend he had for a guy his size and showed more pass rush moves than you'd expect for a smaller school guy. He will need to work on his vision though he loses sight of the football in the run game and struggles when asked to 2gap.

If this was two years ago we would probably be talking about Mohamed Ibrahim in the 2nd round. He is a natural runner just collects yards in stacked boxes. He isn't going to threaten the outside but duo of Spears and Ibrahim with Perine would rebuild the room. Ibrahim does have a bit of wear and tear with an Achilles tear in 2021 but came back and was very productive in 2022. He could go higher if a team is comfortable with his injury history and workload.

Describe Brenton Strange in one word? Violent. He is a nasty inline blocker at a moderate size 6'2 250ish. Stranges ceiling as a receiver is a dangerous check down option. He catches and runs in space like an old school fullback... also he can play fullback lol. Very fun to watch. He was a rotational guy at Penn State.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Really like the Strange pick in the 7th. This team could use a sledgehammer, weather in situational defense, hammering blocker from H-back, catching passes in the flats, and all around Special Teams demon.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I see you are on the Musgrave train! I am afraid that both Musgrave and Kincaid will be gone by #28.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
If our goal with those FA is to be cheap, Moreau is projected at 9M per. I'd rather bring Hurst back before that.

If we're going 2 TE in the draft after adding one in FA, I would rather go Durham in 3 and grab another RB later considering the draft class this is. Hell, maybe we can get Spears in 4 (or trade up slightly for him).

As to Fant, honestly would prefer just getting Taylor and not picking up Moreau.

I'm opening up to the idea of Musgrave but I need to do more research. Also, I know he's NOW healthy but him having a relatively season injury scares me away from round 1.

Duncan scares me for the same reasons you mentioned. I was having hope of Bergeron but that SB week made me hesitant.

I'm finding it hard to see Brooks last that long but if he does, chefs kiss.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:21 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: If our goal with those FA is to be cheap, Moreau is projected at 9M per. I'd rather bring Hurst back before that.

If we're going 2 TE in the draft after adding one in FA, I would rather go Durham in 3 and grab another RB later considering the draft class this is. Hell, maybe we can get Spears in 4 (or trade up slightly for him).

As to Fant, honestly would prefer just getting Taylor and not picking up Moreau.

I'm opening up to the idea of Musgrave but I need to do more research. Also, I know he's NOW healthy but him having a relatively season injury scares me away from round 1.

Duncan scares me for the same reasons you mentioned. I was having hope of Bergeron but that SB week made me hesitant.

I'm finding it hard to see Brooks last that long but if he does, chefs kiss.

Foster Moreau has 2 seasons with 30 catches and is a solid blocker. He could come out and be a guy be there is nothing in his history to say hes a long term nearly 10m per year player. I'm guessing a 1 year 6m prove it deal at a place he can get out from under Darren Waller's shadow.

Free Agency comes first I used short term contracts from mid range guys that will serve as short term deals but nothing to lock in or sway the draft class. Jawaan Taylor will be a large long term locked in deal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I see you are on the Musgrave train!  I am afraid that both Musgrave and Kincaid will be gone by #28.

I'm in the get Joe Burrow a variety of weapons when the opportunity presents itself train lol. The Offense will be undergoing a big transformation over rhe next few years where you can see the only skill position that could remain on the roster is Ja'Marr Chase. A guy like Musgrave could make that transition so much easier.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Foster Moreau has 2 seasons with 30 catches and is a solid blocker. He could come out and be a guy be there is nothing in his history to say hes a long term nearly 10m per year player. I'm guessing a 1 year 6m prove it deal at a place he can get out from under Darren Waller's shadow.

Free Agency comes first I used short term contracts from mid range guys that will serve as short term deals but nothing to lock in or sway the draft class. Jawaan Taylor will be a large long term locked in deal.

I based my statement on Moreau's potential contract on the PFF projections (the same ones I'm assuming where everyone is basing Hurst's projected contracts on). They have Moreau as 3 $27M 16.5 Guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Foster Moreau has 2 seasons with 30 catches and is a solid blocker. He could come out and be a guy be there is nothing in his history to say hes a long term nearly 10m per year player. I'm guessing a 1 year 6m prove it deal at a place he can get out from under Darren Waller's shadow.

As to Taylor, I am of the mindset, shore up the OL (with JW contract expiring next year), provide future continuity and then at most you have to replace JW instead of potentially over paying JW to keep continuity on the OL and still filling RT.

And assuming the draft worked out as you have it listed, Duncan can step in, in year 2,while the rest of the OL already has the pre-built chemistry. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:58 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: As to Taylor, I am of the mindset, shore up the OL (with JW contract expiring next year), provide future continuity and then at most you have to replace JW instead of potentially over paying JW to keep continuity on the OL and still filling RT.

And assuming the draft worked out as you have it listed, Duncan can step in, in year 2,while the rest of the OL already has the pre-built chemistry. 

Risking this turning into Free Agency thread lol. I'm not behind the idea of locking in long term to an average at best right tackle at top 5 right tackle money. Jawaan Taylor is about to get way overpaid. 

Reply/Quote