Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Synric's Mock Me (Pre-Season)
I never do a pre-season mock but I thought it would be fun and might spark some interest in the draft section.

I have the Bengals picking in the back half of the top 10. (Even though I think it will be just outside 11-14ish)

1. Caleb Farley, CB Virginia Tech - Best Corner on the Board slides to the backhalf of the top 10 because of an ACL in 2017.

2. Jayson Oweh, Edge Penn State - Freak among Freaks edge rusher but has little playing time and won't get any this year due to the Big10 opting out. Oweh is still considered a top 50 player despite the lack of snaps.

3. Liam Eichenberg, OT Notre Dame - One of the better OT in the draft but he's better straight forward than laterally will need to improve his Zone blocking this year to climb into the second round.

4. Josh Sills, IOL Oklahoma State - Big Long OG that looks more like an OT moves well great fit for a zone blocking scheme. Nasty demeanor but tends to play upright when he gets tired.

5. Levi Onwuzurike, DT Washington - Very Light Nose Tacke in the Pac12. Excellent perpetrator but needs add weight and strength to hold up against doubles.

6. Leon O'Neal, S Texas A&M - Not the best athlete or the fastest player on the field he is a solid tackler and uses his length well in coverage.

7. Charleston Rambo, WR Oklahoma - Marvin Jones type player that can be a threat on all 3 levels...but hes thin like super thin lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 01:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I never do a pre-season mock but I thought it would be fun and might spark some interest in the draft section.

I have the Bengals picking in the back half of the top 10. (Even though I think it will be just outside 11-14ish)

1. Caleb Farley, CB Virginia Tech - Best Corner on the Board slides to the backhalf of the top 10 because of an ACL in 2017.

2. Jayson Oweh, Edge Penn State - Freak among Freaks edge rusher but has little playing time and won't get any this year due to the Big10 opting out. Oweh is still considered a top 50 player despite the lack of snaps.

3. Liam Eichenberg, OT Notre Dame - One of the better OT in the draft but he's better straight forward than laterally will need to improve his Zone blocking this year to climb into the second round.

4. Josh Sills, IOL Oklahoma State - Big Long OG that looks more like an OT moves well great fit for a zone blocking scheme. Nasty demeanor but tends to play upright when he gets tired.

5. Levi Onwuzurike, DT Washington - Very Light Nose Tacke in the Pac12. Excellent perpetrator but needs add weight and strength to hold up against doubles.

6. Leon O'Neal, S Texas A&M - Not the best athlete or the fastest player on the field he is a solid tackler and uses his length well in coverage.

7. Charleston Rambo, WR Oklahoma - Marvin Jones type player that can be a threat on all 3 levels...but hes thin like super thin lol.

I like Sills and Onwu.  Would not surprise me if they select WR in first as I do not think both Green and Ross will be back, may be one but not both. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Yea it's early but good mock. Are we set at TE? Maybe a pick going there at some point
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like Sills and Onwu.  Would not surprise me if they select WR in first as I do not think both Green and Ross will be back, may be one but not both. 

(09-11-2020, 09:08 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Yea it's early but good mock.  Are we set at TE?  Maybe a pick going there at some point

I was thinking about adding a pass catcher someone like the TE from Michigan but opted to shore up the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Jayson Oweh is one of my favorite guys this year and he fits exactly what the Bengals need in an outside edge player going forward. 

Eichenberg and Sills would fit well on the right side of the line. I'm a big Josh Sills fan and he seems like a guy Turner would draft. 6'5 325 and light on his feet.

Edit: Big game for Eichenberg today at 230. Notre Dame faces off against Duke so he will be going up against Chris Rumph and Victor Dimukeje
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like Sills and Onwu.  Would not surprise me if they select WR in first as I do not think both Green and Ross will be back, may be one but not both. 

Just my opinion, if the Bengals draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round in 2021, Tate will likely leave after his contract is up next season.
The reason is because he's trying to prove he's deserving of being a starting WR.
If the Bengals draft a WR in Rd 1 or 2, they'll want him to be a starter with Higgins and Boyd. No reason to draft a WR that high to be a depth guy.

Not saying I'm against picking WR that early, but know that if it's done, that likely means Tate will go elsewhere for better opportunity.

I am a fan of going OL+DL in the first 3 rounds and then going WR in Rd 4 or 5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:05 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just my opinion, if the Bengals draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round in 2021, Tate will likely leave after his contract is up next season.
The reason is because he's trying to prove he's deserving of being a starting WR.
If the Bengals draft a WR in Rd 1 or 2, they'll want him to be a starter with Higgins and Boyd. No reason to draft a WR that high to be a depth guy.

Not saying I'm against picking WR that early, but know that if it's done, that likely means Tate will go elsewhere for better opportunity.

Thinking of the Bengals Front Office approach in the past, they value skilled positions early in draft.  Although they drafted Price in round 1, it has been a while for them to draft OL in round 1.  Green looks done and Ross is not even on active roster.  If Chase or Waddle is there in round 1, they will draft WR.  I hope they draft 2 OL next draft and DE and DT as well.  Trey Smith is a beast and would solve many problems at Guard.  I could see them going WR-OL-DT-DE in that order.  Then there is the issue of DB's.  Not sure Bengals are set at safety and CB will be a major issue.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:56 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Thinking of the Bengals Front Office approach in the past, they value skilled positions early in draft.  Although they drafted Price in round 1, it has been a while for them to draft OL in round 1.  Green looks done and Ross is not even on active roster.  If Chase or Waddle is there in round 1, they will draft WR.  I hope they draft 2 OL next draft and DE and DT as well.  Trey Smith is a beast and would solve many problems at Guard.  I could see them going WR-OL-DT-DE in that order.  Then there is the issue of DB's.  Not sure Bengals are set at safety and CB will be a major issue.  

If they keep prioritizing WR over OL and DL, they'll never go deep in the playoffs (unless they address OL/DL in FA, which they don't).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:05 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just my opinion, if the Bengals draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round in 2021, Tate will likely leave after his contract is up next season.

The Draft is hard to predict. Position of Need players might not be where we need them to be early in the draft. In 2020 six Offensive Tackles went in the first round.

The good thing is I keep hearing that 2021 draft is going to be deep in offensive linemen that will be big for the Bengals if true. I know there are a few of them I really like alot... but I believe the Offensive Line is probably the hardest area to predict and scout in the draft.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 02:12 PM)Synric Wrote: The Draft is hard to predict. Position of Need players might not be where we need them to be early in the draft. In 2020 six Offensive Tackles went in the first round.

The good thing is I keep hearing that 2021 draft is going to be deep in offensive linemen that will be big for the Bengals if true. I know there are a few of them I really like alot... but I believe the Offensive Line is probably the hardest area to predict and scout in the draft.

That's definitely true nowadays, but when your organization doesn't look to bring in good FAs, you have no choice but to look at the draft.
And you (should) have a better shot at getting a good player in the early rounds vs the mid-to-late rounds.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:56 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Thinking of the Bengals Front Office approach in the past, they value skilled positions early in draft.  Although they drafted Price in round 1, it has been a while for them to draft OL in round 1.  Green looks done and Ross is not even on active roster.  If Chase or Waddle is there in round 1, they will draft WR.  I hope they draft 2 OL next draft and DE and DT as well.  Trey Smith is a beast and would solve many problems at Guard.  I could see them going WR-OL-DT-DE in that order.  Then there is the issue of DB's.  Not sure Bengals are set at safety and CB will be a major issue.
I don't think that means WR by any stretch.  They have taken more O-lineman than WRs in the first round in the last 20 years (6 O-lineman to 3 WR)
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 07:07 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think that means WR by any stretch.  They have taken more O-lineman than WRs in the first round in the last 20 years (6 O-lineman to 3 WR)

They only draft OT in the top half of Rd 1.
If they are picking in top half, I'd expect it's CB, WR, OT, or maybe DE (the last 1st round DE was Smith back in 2001).

Depending on where they pick and who's available when they pick, a trade back could also be an option. An extra early-round pick (or multiple) could definitely help.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I agree that they may need guys at the corner/pass rush spots, but they are obligated to improve the talent they have around their franchise quarterback. I'd be completely shocked to see them go defense in 1 and 2 unless they made some huge splash in FA on offense.

Personally, if they picked late top 10, I'd hope they go OL in 1 and 2 or OL/TE. I thin they need a DT badly, too, so I could see that happening.
Reply/Quote