Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synric's Mock Me (The Nightmare before Christmas)
The last two weeks have been a Nightmare for Bengals fans. The Bengals have gone from a solid chance at the #1 Seed in the AFC to on the outside of the playoffs looking in with a tough schedule to finish the season. Currently the Bengals are projected to pick #17 in the first round the highest of the season so I thought it would be fun to get in a mock draft.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1: Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner CB, Cincinnati - Sauce is a very talented, long, Zone heavy corner that is also solidin man coverage. His size and length are a need and he's a scheme fit. Really his only negative is hes a pull down tackler and not a hitter.

Round 2: Nicholas Petit-Frere OT, Ohio State - Former 5 Star OT Recruit that has an up and down career for the Buckeyes right when everyone thought he would take that next step he was moved to Left Tackle and it continued his inconsistencies. Petit-Frere is scheme versatile with alot of athletic ability but also size length and power.

Round 3: Dohnovan West C/G, Arizona State - West may or may not come out. He's experienced at all 3 IOL positions but is likely Center2 in this draft class. He is scheme versatile with the athletic ability to play wide zone and the size and power to run inside zone or gap/power.

Round 4: Zion Tupuloa-Fetui Edge, Washington - If you were looking at Edge rushers in 2020 you may have seen this guys name at Washington. Tupuloa-Fetui had 7 sacks and 7 TFL in only 3 games. He blew out his achilles in April of 2021 and has only played a couple games this year.

Round 5: Quay Walker LB, Georgia - Athletic ability through the roof and has played a variety of positions stack linebacker, Slot Corner, Edge Defender. His instincts are stunted because of all the moves but can start out on special teams while learning.

Round 6: Reggie Roberson WR, SMU - Injured 2 years in a row before 2021 but has put up a ton of numbers on the outside for the Mustangs. He is very limited in his route tree but has a variety of releases outside. He will have to show he has speed.

Round 7: C.J. Verdell RB, Oregon - Flashes of greatness and then on the bench with injury may go higher but is risky.

Round 7: Britain Covey WR/PR/KR, Utah - One of the best returners in College football and a very good pure slot receiver. Problem is Covey is about 5 flat and 110 lbs (5'8 170) He is also old enough to collect social security.

Edit: Just realized how heavy Pac-12 I went lol. That's a first.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:57 PM)Synric Wrote: The last two weeks have been a Nightmare for Bengals fans. The Bengals have gone from a solid chance at the #1 Seed in the AFC to on the outside of the playoffs looking in with a tough schedule to finish the season. Currently the Bengals are projected to pick #17 in the first round the highest of the season so I thought it would be fun to get in a mock draft.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1: Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner CB, Cincinnati - Sauce is a very talented, long, Zone heavy corner that is also solidin man coverage. His size and length are a need and he's a scheme fit. Really his only negative is hes a pull down tackler and not a hitter.

Round 2: Nicholas Petit-Frere OT, Ohio State - Former 5 Star OT Recruit that has an up and down career for the Buckeyes right when everyone thought he would take that next step he was moved to Left Tackle and it continued his inconsistencies. Petit-Frere is scheme versatile with alot of athletic ability but also size length and power.

Round 3: Dohnovan West C/G, Arizona State - West may or may not come out. He's experienced at all 3 IOL positions but is likely Center2 in this draft class. He is scheme versatile with the athletic ability to play wide zone and the size and power to run inside zone or gap/power.

Round 4: Zion Tupuloa-Fetui Edge, Washington - If you were looking at Edge rushers in 2020 you may have seen this guys name at Washington. Tupuloa-Fetui had 7 sacks and 7 TFL in only 3 games. He blew out his achilles in April of 2021 and has only played a couple games this year.

Round 5: Quay Walker LB, Georgia - Athletic ability through the roof and has played a variety of positions stack linebacker, Slot Corner, Edge Defender. His instincts are stunted because of all the moves but can start out on special teams while learning.

Round 6: Reggie Roberson WR, SMU - Injured 2 years in a row before 2021 but has put up a ton of numbers on the outside for the Mustangs. He is very limited in his route tree but has a variety of releases outside. He will have to show he has speed.

Round 7: C.J. Verdell RB, Oregon - Flashes of greatness and then on the bench with injury may go higher but is risky.

Round 7: Britain Covey WR/PR/KR, Utah - One of the best returners in College football and a very good pure slot receiver. Problem is Covey is about 5 flat and 110 lbs (5'8 170) He is also old enough to collect social security.

I love reading these as my college football watching is reserved for the MAC and the year end big games. It's a fun way to become familiar with future NFL players. Thank you for posting!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:57 PM)Synric Wrote: The last two weeks have been a Nightmare for Bengals fans. The Bengals have gone from a solid chance at the #1 Seed in the AFC to on the outside of the playoffs looking in with a tough schedule to finish the season. Currently the Bengals are projected to pick #17 in the first round the highest of the season so I thought it would be fun to get in a mock draft.

Don't forget, we should be getting a compensatory pick for Ross! Wink

Aside from Petit-Frere (who I wouldn't hate in the slightest, just not a huge fan), can get on board with this. Roberson is underrated, IMO.

(12-15-2021, 11:28 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I love reading these as my college football watching is reserved for the MAC and the year end big games. It's a fun way to become familiar with future NFL players. Thank you for posting!

That's an interesting tidbit; if you don't mind me asking, is this due to an alma mater affiliation or do you just enjoy the MAC more than other conferences?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 11:49 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Don't forget, we should be getting a compensatory pick for Ross! Wink

Aside from Petit-Frere (who I wouldn't hate in the slightest, just not a huge fan), can get on board with this. Roberson is underrated, IMO.

That's an interesting tidbit; if you don't mind me asking, is this due to an alma mater affiliation or do you just enjoy the MAC more than other conferences?

I have several degrees from various schools & thus the MAC affiliations (& I might add I'm not some irresponsible person with lots of college debt, I have none and have never taken a student loan lol). It gets real interesting when a matchup occurs where I'm earned a degree from both schools. I cherry pick who I root for.

It's also fun to follow the little guys. I root for MAC players when they go pro and I always give them a round one win for my NCAA tourney brackets.

Edit: I also favor the Ohio MAC schools. Down with NIU, geographical Michigan institutions, and Buffalo!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 12:00 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I have several degrees from various schools & thus the MAC affiliations (& I might add I'm not some irresponsible person with lots of college debt, I have none and have never taken a student loan lol). It gets real interesting when a matchup occurs where I'm earned a degree from both schools. I cherry pick who I root for.

It's also fun to follow the little guys. I root for MAC players when they go pro and I always give them a round one win for my NCAA tourney brackets.

Edit: I also favor the Ohio MAC schools. Down with NIU, geographical Michigan institutions, and Buffalo!

That's awesome! Figured it was an affiliation of sorts, so cool Big Grin

I will say, I did 8 years of post-secondary education here in Canada and I paid off my student loan in 3 years (less, actually), never missed a payment and the rest of my schooling was paid for through me working full-time hours in conjunction with going to school (my last year of University, just couldn't come up with the scratch, so had to go the loan route).

I hate credit lol.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. I'll shut up.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 11:49 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Don't forget, we should be getting a compensatory pick for Ross! Wink

Ross has to have 25% or more offensive snaps by season's end for that to happen, but yes currently on track I believe.
Currently at 33%, but it's been trending down after Nov 1. He's only played above 20% snaps one game - 12/5 (32%).

I also read that the Bengals should get a comp pick for Lawson, but it's going to be a Day 3 pick because he didn't get to play this year due to injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 12:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's awesome! Figured it was an affiliation of sorts, so cool Big Grin

I will say, I did 8 years of post-secondary education here in Canada and I paid off my student loan in 3 years (less, actually), never missed a payment and the rest of my schooling was paid for through me working full-time hours in conjunction with going to school (my last year of University, just couldn't come up with the scratch, so had to go the loan route).

I hate credit lol.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. I'll shut up.

Nothing wrong with rambling, it's what makes an online forum fun. That's awesome you paid it off and probably feels good. I was fortunate in getting help with my undergrad and my grad degrees were covered through employer reimbursement/waivers.

Back to the MAC, I'm guessing most followers of MAC football either attended the institution, work at it, or live within proximity of the area. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ross has to have 25% or more offensive snaps by season's end for that to happen, but yes currently on track I believe.
Currently at 33%, but it's been trending down after Nov 1. He's only played above 20% snaps one game - 12/5 (32%).

I also read that the Bengals should get a comp pick for Lawson, but it's going to be a Day 3 pick because he didn't get to play this year due to injury.

A guy on Twitter wrote a post that (I believe) is now in JN, where the 25% figure is kinda irrelevant now, but regardless, we should be getting a pick at some point now, which is always a good thing :)

(12-16-2021, 01:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Nothing wrong with rambling, it's what makes an online forum fun. That's awesome you paid it off and probably feels good. I was fortunate in getting help with my undergrad and my grad degrees were covered through employer reimbursement/waivers.

Back to the MAC, I'm guessing most followers of MAC football either attended the institution, work at it, or live within proximity of the area. 

Yeah, the first year and a half were paid through RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan) that was setup for me when I was born, but for some stupid reason, I paid my parents back every penny that was spent from the RESP (I have 0 idea why I did that), as I was under the assumption that, "they contributed to it my whole life, so it was essentially their money." If I only knew about finance then, what I do now...

But yeah, half of year 2, all of 3 and 4 were paid with the money I had saved up from working (was working the job 1 1/2 years before I got into Uni, when I was still in HS, so had built up a fair amount) and to further my degree, had to take another year's-worth of credits and I just didn't have the amount needed, so needed to get the loan. My final 3 years of getting my grad certificate, I paid out of pocket as well, so was able to focus on the loan once I got my first FT job and it got paid down within a year of me starting that job :)

I've always been a casual observer of the MAC, simply because the schools are close to Canada and the Bengals have had a few players come from the member school, throughout the years (of course; all teams have). Bowling Green as well, is a favourite, as you can see the stadium off of I-75, on the way to Cincinnati and one of these days (when I come down for a game), I will either come down on a Friday (I usually leave on Saturday) or early Saturday, so I can catch a BGSU game and see what NCAAF is all about, live Wink.

The MAC plays during the week so often though, it's hard to align it all up!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 02:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I've always been a casual observer of the MAC, simply because the schools are close to Canada and the Bengals have had a few players come from the member school, throughout the years (of course; all teams have). Bowling Green as well, is a favourite, as you can see the stadium off of I-75, on the way to Cincinnati and one of these days (when I come down for a game), I will either come down on a Friday (I usually leave on Saturday) or early Saturday, so I can catch a BGSU game and see what NCAAF is all about, live Wink.

The MAC plays during the week so often though, it's hard to align it all up!

BGSU's stadium, Doyt Perry, is nice. The Falcons have struggled though to have a winning program and their attendance is not good. Toledo, right up I75 is basically the better of the two programs in the NW Ohio region. 

Edit: I suppose if we continue MAC football talk it shouldn't be in a draft thread!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 01:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Nothing wrong with rambling, it's what makes an online forum fun. That's awesome you paid it off and probably feels good. I was fortunate in getting help with my undergrad and my grad degrees were covered through employer reimbursement/waivers.

The MAC is what most of the Ohio schools play in.

Miami
BGSU
OU
Kent St
Akron
Toledo

50% of the MAC is Ohio schools.
If you're looking for Ohio in-state rivalries, this is the conference that has them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 03:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The MAC is what most of the Ohio schools play in.

Miami
BGSU
OU
Kent St
Akron
Toledo

50% of the MAC is Ohio schools.
If you're looking for Ohio in-state rivalries, this is the conference that has them.

Yup, I root for these schools over Buffalo, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, and Ball State. I have my fandom-cheering to win order with the Ohio schools where Miami is on top.

MAC football was close to expanding, but the process recently came to a halt. Schools discussed were Western Kentucky and UMass.

Anyhow, perhaps a MAC thread should be me in the NCAA forum.
Reply/Quote

Gardner: I'll give you my thoughts on taking him in the 1st on 01 JAN 22

2nd-3rd: We've gone oline early quite a bit the last 4-5 years. I'd happily take either a 2nd or a 3rd, but not both

4th- Does he have any ability to stand up if needed

5th- Need lbs so why not this guy

6th-7th: Just looking for bodies at this point. Is it time to start looking at Huber's replacement in these late rounds?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 04:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gardner: I'll give you my thoughts on taking him in the 1st on 01 JAN 22

2nd-3rd: We've gone oline early quite a bit the last 4-5 years. I'd happily take either a 2nd or a 3rd, but not both

4th- Does he have any ability to stand up if needed

5th- Need lbs so why not this guy

6th-7th: Just looking for bodies at this point. Is it time to start looking at Huber's replacement in these late rounds?

Have a very strong feeling that Chrisman is the P of the future.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 04:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gardner: I'll give you my thoughts on taking him in the 1st on 01 JAN 22

It will interesting to see how he plays against Alabama, but one game is still one game. Ja’Marr Chase absolutely torched AJ Terrell in the National championship, and Terrell has been an absolute stud in the NFL so far.

Reply/Quote

I have my hesitations with Ohio St OL of recent years, but NPF might be able to break the trend.
I'd have to go back to find the tape, but I believe he got beat quite a bit against Hutchinson a couple weeks ago. But even if that's true, Hutchinson is a beast and expected to become one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It will interesting to see how he plays against Alabama, but one game is still one game. Ja’Marr Chase absolutely torched AJ Terrell in the National championship, and Terrell has been an absolute stud in the NFL so far.

AJ Terrell didn't play the likes of Tulane, Tulsa, and Navy, during his final season.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 03:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: AJ Terrell didn't play the likes of Tulane, Tulsa, and Navy, during his final season.

He also didn’t play multiple ranked teams like Notre Dame and Houston either. In fact, I don’t think Clemson played a single ranked team during that 2019 regular season. Or at least any teams that ended up still being ranked by the end.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 10:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He also didn’t play multiple ranked teams like Notre Dame and Houston either. In fact, I don’t think Clemson played a single ranked team during that 2019 regular season. Or at least any teams that ended up still being ranked by the end.

BuT tHe AcC iS a P5 cOnFeReNcE!
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 01:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: BuT tHe AcC iS a P5 cOnFeReNcE!

It dOeS mAtTeR:

In 19 Clemson played:

Texas A&M 

Florida State

Louisville

Virginia

Ohio State

LSU

The year prior they played all the above (minus OSU) plus:

Notre Dame

Alabama

Now feel free to believe Sauce Gardner has faced the same level of competition the last couple years if you want. As to me; I'll be courious to see how he fares against the likes of Williams, Metchie, and Bolden 

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 01:31 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It dOeS mAtTeR:

In 19 Clemson played:

Texas A&M 

Florida State

Louisville

Virginia

Ohio State

LSU

The year prior they played all the above (minus OSU) plus:

Notre Dame

Alabama

Now feel free to believe Sauce Gardner has faced the same level of competition the last couple years if you want. As to me; I'll be courious to see how he fares against the likes of Williams, Metchie, and Bolden 

Not talking about Sauce, talking about how the ACC really has nobody, outside of (recently) NC State, Pitt and Clemson.

BC has had a good run of things recently, but they aren't great historically.

It's a weird conference, with a ton of past, "legendary," teams, but for the last 15 years or so, the teams in the conference have done nothing, outside of Clemson and none have even sniffed the playoff, outside of the Tigers and FSU (once).
Reply/Quote