Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synric's Mock Me (Way too early)
I'm trading Andy Dalton for a 3rd, Cordy Glenn for a 5th, and Alex Erickson for a 6th.

1. Joe Burrow QB LSU
2. Josh Jones OT Houston
3. Alton Robinson DE/OLB Syracuse
3. Troy Dye LB Oregon
4. Cesar Ruiz IOL Michigan
5. Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB LSU
5. Isaiah Hodgins WR Oregon State
6. Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
6. Marquez Callaway WR Tennessee
7. Kolton McKivitz OT/G West Virginia

I really wanted to get a defensive back into that group but I decided to double down and WR, LB, and OT.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have my reservations about taking QB, it doesn't have to do with Burrow, who I like. The rest of your draft is very solid!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 03:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have my reservations about taking QB, it doesn't have to do with Burrow, who I like. The rest of your draft is very solid!

What are your reservations?  
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 03:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have my reservations about taking QB, it doesn't have to do with Burrow, who I like. The rest of your draft is very solid!

Thanks.

(12-10-2019, 03:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: What are your reservations?  

I'm a big Joe Burrow fan but I still think we all should have reservations about taking a QB because they are high risk/high reward. Plus you are tied to him for at least 4 years likely 5 even if hes a dud.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 03:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: What are your reservations?  

O-line is the biggest. I'm sure we will try to shore it up, but we've heard that for a couple of years.
Reply/Quote
It would make a lot of sense for the Bengals to make some trades to get extra picks, as they desperately need them if they aren't going to approach FA with any sense of importance to get high-performing players.

They absolutely need:
- QB
- OT (at least a swing OT)
- LB (x2 if you don't have faith in Nick Vigil keeping his improved play over the past few weeks)
- DL (pass rusher who ideally would be heir to Atkins)

They could also use improvement at:
- OG (becomes an absolute need if Glenn isn't on team)
- WR (Can't rely on Green and/or Ross to remain healthy yet)
- DE (Could use a 4th DE to help rotation)
- DB (Could use another S if Wilson isn't retained, could always use CBs)
- K (It'd be nice to have a K who you don't have to cringe every time they attempt a 40+ yarder)

Typically, you shouldn't expect immediate contributors at all on offense/defense after the 4th round, so basically you need to address QB, OL, LB, and DL in the first four rounds. And you have to hit on every one of them.

Having extra picks would help fill these gaps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It would make a lot of sense for the Bengals to make some trades to get extra picks, as they desperately need them if they aren't going to approach FA with any sense of importance to get high-performing players.

They absolutely need:
- QB
- OT (at least a swing OT)
- LB (x2 if you don't have faith in Nick Vigil keeping his improved play over the past few weeks)
- DL (pass rusher who ideally would be heir to Atkins)

They could also use improvement at:
- OG (becomes an absolute need if Glenn isn't on team)
- WR (Can't rely on Green and/or Ross to remain healthy yet)
- DE (Could use a 4th DE to help rotation)
- DB (Could use another S if Wilson isn't retained, could always use CBs)
- K (It'd be nice to have a K who you don't have to cringe every time they attempt a 40+ yarder)

Typically, you shouldn't expect immediate contributors at all on offense/defense after the 4th round, so basically you need to address QB, OL, LB, and DL in the first four rounds. And you have to hit on every one of them.

Having extra picks would help fill these gaps.

I think the picks I traded were solid and I didnt reach for higher rounds. 

Burrow, Jones, Dye, Ruiz I believe could all start day one.

Jones in a experienced tackle with plenty of athleticism size and length. 

Troy Dye is sliding a little because of his people are questioning his play strength but he is explosive, solid in man and zone coverage, a sure tackler, and a good pass rusher. He may not have a power punch when taking on blockers yet but he uses his length very well when shedding blockers. Also he is a very fluid athlete able to cover not only TEs but WRs in the slot.

Ruiz is a high recruited starting center in the big10 with experience at RG. He can play in any system you want because he has size to move people in gap/inside zone but is athletic and has length to make reach blocks when running the outside zone.

Chazz Surratt a Junior is the one guy I dont think will be there because he won't declare. He just switched from QB to LB during the offseason and only has this year as experience...but he hits the prototype size length and speed for the position and was very productive even though you can tell he is very raw. He will most likely return to NC.

Reply/Quote
Are we thinking that Burrow would start year one or would we have Ryan Finley get another shot?

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 03:49 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Are we thinking that Burrow would start year one or would we have Ryan Finley get another shot?

There really isnt a reason to sit a highly drafted rookie QB anymore. You want them to get playing experience and take as much advantage of the rookie contract as possible.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 03:54 PM)Synric Wrote: There really isnt a reason to sit a highly drafted rookie QB anymore. You want them to get playing experience and take as much advantage of the rookie contract as possible.

Am I a pessimist if I point out all our first round picks end up sitting out, often time due to injury?

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2019, 04:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Thanks.

I'm a big Joe Burrow fan but I still think we all should have reservations about taking a QB because they are high risk/high reward. Plus you are tied to him for at least 4 years likely 5 even if hes a dud.

Not necessarily. Arizona just drafted a QB in 1 2 years in a row.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:24 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: Not necessarily. Arizona just drafted a QB in 1 2 years in a row.

Rarely happens and they still had to pay for Josh Rosen this year plus Kyler Murray. That's why you are usually tied to your first rounders because they cost more to cut or trade than keeping.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 02:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Rarely happens and they still had to pay for Josh Rosen this year plus Kyler Murray. That's why you are usually tied to your first rounders because they cost more to cut or trade than keeping.

But they don't break the bank anymore.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 03:49 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Are we thinking that Burrow would start year one or would we have Ryan Finley get another shot?

I believe that if they plan to sit a first overall pick quarterback, it would be to learn behind Andy.  

I'd rather they trade Andy for a draft asset, but this team doesn't always do what you expect.  I could see them using Andy as another Kitna.
Reply/Quote