Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synric's Mock my First Round!
(03-25-2023, 03:50 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Gibbs will not be on the field in instances where the back may need to pick up the blitz or pass block. Not sure what you mean first to mention Spears but I have had my eye on him for sometime now. Spears actually was stated to stand out in blitz pickup by the Senior Bowl coaching staff so I would say that Spears is a bit more of a complete back.

I would say Jahmyr Gibbs is more than just a running back and that is why he is a top 30 prospect. I'm taking a versatile offensive weapon I can design plays around.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Tons of them but only 31 players will go first round and fit is important you dont just go down the list of players and take the next one fans forget that.

Klancey is a prime example. Where does he fit? Has to be a 4-3 team 3 tech only. He isnt going to play 0 1 2i, 4i, 5. You arent going to build your defensive line around him like I did with Mazi Smith to the Saints. His best fit is actually the Bengals at 28 because they run a fair share of even fronts and have established veteran DTs in front of him so he only has to rush the passer. 

Which is exactly what I stated. Depending on team preference it is extremely possible that any number of the players I have stated go in the top 32. Just like Atlanta moving to a multi front defense. They may very well find a fit for a guy like Kancey or one of the other defenders I stated. Corners are a prime commodity in the NFL and that continues to become even more true and that is not matter what front you run. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 04:03 PM)Synric Wrote: I would say Jahmyr Gibbs is more than just a running back and that is why he is a top 30 prospect. I'm taking a versatile offensive weapon I can design plays around.

The Bengals are not going to center their offense around Gibbs when they have the QB and receiving corps that they have. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 04:07 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The Bengals are not going to center their offense around Gibbs when they have the QB and receiving corps that they have. 

Never said center their offense around Gibbs. I said they can design plays for him because he is an 1st level offensive weapon you want to get the ball to in space... Gibbs is such a great fit for the Cincy spread air raid offense. They can get those Orbit Motions going like they did with Chase against Buffalo. We can see screens again and not just only to Ja'marr Chase. Gibbs I can get all those RB Bubbles Tunnels screens. All 100 of those swing pass targets we seen in 2022...

Giving Gibbs to Joe Burrow would be like when the Saints gave Alvin Kamara to Drew Brees. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 04:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Never said center their offense around Gibbs. I said they can design plays for him because he is an 1st level offensive weapon you want to get the ball to in space... Gibbs is such a great fit for the Cincy spread air raid offense. They can get those Orbit Motions going like they did with Chase against Buffalo. We can see screens again and not just only to Ja'marr Chase. Gibbs I can get all those RB Bubbles Tunnels screens. All 100 of those swing pass targets we seen in 2022...

Giving Gibbs to Joe Burrow would be like when the Saints gave Alvin Kamara to Drew Brees. 

Well I checked virtually every mock at Mock Draft Database and I found 4 that had Gibbs going in the first round and only 1 of those had him going in the draft before that Bengals and they had him going to Dallas at #26. The others that had him included in the first were #29 or #30. What the vast majority of these drafts did have was Kancey going in the first round.

Gibbs is not the only back in the draft that brings the possibility of these types of plays and I have already pointed out that Spears brings these same abilities as well as being valuable in picking up the blitz. So you apparently do not find that skill as an important portion of a RB profile?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 04:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well I checked virtually every mock at Mock Draft Database and I found 4 that had Gibbs going in the first round and only 1 of those had him going in the draft before that Bengals and they had him going to Dallas at #26. The others that had him included in the first were #29 or #30. What the vast majority of these drafts did have was Kancey going in the first round.

Gibbs is not the only back in the draft that brings the possibility of these types of plays and I have already pointed out that Spears brings these same abilities as well as being valuable in picking up the blitz. So you apparently do not find that skill as an important portion of a RB profile?

Pass protection can be taught. Samaje Perine was awful his first year in Cincy in pass protection. Giovani Bernard got lit up his first couple season in Cincy. Pass protection out of college means very little especially with all the air raid these guys are coming from. RB's two major traits are vision, contact balance. These days Receiving has become a major thing for RBs not alot of receiving backs this year.

Also I could care less about mock drafts most don't even take fit into account. I seen Klancy to Baltimore a couple times whats he going to do play the 4i or 5 nah not going to happen. As for Gibbs skillset no there is very few most can't just line up and win at WR. Gibbs can and does. 

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 04:36 PM)Synric Wrote: Pass protection can be taught. Samaje Perine was awful his first year in Cincy in pass protection. Giovani Bernard got lit up his first couple season in Cincy. Pass protection out of college means very little especially with all the air raid these guys are coming from. 

Also I could care less about mock drafts most don't even take fit into account. I seen Klancy to Baltimore a couple times whats he going to do play the 4i or 5 nah not going to happen. As for Gibbs skillset no there is very few most can't just line up and win at WR. Gibbs can and does. 

Most of the people doing these mocks have a good bit of knowledge of the game and in many cases a far more intimate relationship with teams than any of us will ever have. 

I will agree to disagree about Gibbs and from what I have seen of him blitz pickup does not seem to be in his near future. It sounds like you wish to have him more as a WR than a RB. What is your plan for running between the tackles or taking on a heavy front in short yardage? Even his scouting reports talk about his him not being particularly effective in traditional RB roles and more as a pass catcher. 

Quote:he could see his effectiveness diminished inside. Gibbs might be better off with a more measured carry count as an RB2, but his versatility and pass-catching prowess will give creative play-callers an opportunity to exploit certain personnel groupings and find mismatches in space.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jahmyr-gibbs/32004749-4219-8578-ca06-2b870fe6f731

So in essence you are talking about using your first round selection on a part time RB/WR?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 04:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I will agree to disagree about Gibbs and from what I have seen of him blitz pickup does not seem to be in his near future. It sounds like you wish to have him more as a WR than a RB. What is your plan for running between the tackles or taking on a heavy front in short yardage? Even his scouting reports talk about his him not being particularly effective in traditional RB roles and more as a pass catcher. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jahmyr-gibbs/32004749-4219-8578-ca06-2b870fe6f731

So in essence you are talking about using your first round selection on a part time RB/WR?

So lets recap.

We agree Jahmyr Gibbs is a top 30 prospect but you are saying he is a reach at #28 because 1) He is a running back. 2) He's not in other mock drafts. 3)  His pass protection coming out of college.  4) There's a possibility you can reach for Tyjae Spears at #60.

Yea I'm done Here. 

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 04:59 PM)Synric Wrote: So lets recap.

We agree Jahmyr Gibbs is a top 30 prospect but you are saying he is a reach at #28 because 1) He is a running back. 2) He's not in other mock drafts. 3)  His pass protection coming out of college.  4) There's a possibility you can reach for Tyjae Spears at #60.

Yea I'm done Here. 

I never once stated he was a reach. I stated that I do not believe the Bengals are going to use a first round selection for him. I then pointed out that even those who evaluate players for a living feel that his strength is that of a RB2 that is used situationally not as a feature back within in an offense. The difference in Gibbs and Spears is situational usage and 4 down running back.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Tons of them but only 31 players will go first round and fit is important you dont just go down the list of players and take the next one fans forget that.

Klancey is a prime example. Where does he fit? Has to be a 4-3 team 3 tech only. He isnt going to play 0 1 2i, 4i, 5. You arent going to build your defensive line around him like I did with Mazi Smith to the Saints. His best fit is actually the Bengals at 28 because they run a fair share of even fronts and have established veteran DTs in front of him so he only has to rush the passer. 

With almost every team using a nickel/dime for a majority of their snaps, I don't think it matters nearly as much these days.

If teams are convinced he can rush the passer, he's going to get drafted in the top 20.  
Reply/Quote
I like Gibbs. I wouldn't mind him at 28.

A TE in round 2 makes sense, but it's gotta be the BPA.

I think we need more depth at corner and along the dline in the draft.

I see RB, TE, and Oline as biggest needs.
Need depth at guard. RT as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 06:33 PM)Synric Wrote: I did a full first round mock with 1 out of the box trade to "simulate" the how out of hand the trades can get lol.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave up a 4th round pick to move up 4 spots to get above the Washington Commanders for QB Will Levis. The Packers make the move to collect a pick and it really doesn't affect their board. I also traded Jonah Williams to the Patriots for pick #117. lol.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the First pick of the 2023 NFL Draft the...

1) Carolina Panthers - CJ Stroud QB, Ohio State
2) Houston Texans - Bryce Young QB, Alabama
3) Arizona Cardinals - Will Anderson Edge, Alabama
4) Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Richardson QB, Florida
5) Seattle Seahawks - Tyree Wilson Edge, Texas Tech
6) Detroit Lions - Christian Gonzalez CB, Oregon
7) Las Vegas Raiders Jalen Carter DL, Georgia
8) Atlanta Falcons - Myles Murphy Edge, Clemson
9) Chicago Bears - Broderick Jones OL, Georgia
10) Philadelphia Eagles - Devon Witherspoon CB, Illinios
11) Tennessee Titans - Peter Skoronski OL, Northwestern
12) Houston Texans - Jordan Addison WR, USC
13) New York Jets - Brian Branch S, Alabama
14) New England Patriots - Nolan Smith LB, Georgia
15) *Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Will Levis QB, Kentucky (Tampa Bay moves up for Levis over Washington)
16) Washington Commanders - Joey Porter Jr CB, Penn State
17) Pittsburgh Steelers - Darnell Wright OL, Tennessee
18) Detroit Lions -  Bijan Robinson RB, Texas
19) *Green Bay Packers - Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR, Ohio State (Green Bay gets a 4th round pick)
20) Seattle Seahawks - Lukas Van Ness, Iowa
21) Los Angeles Chargers - Michael Mayer TE, Notre Dame
22) Baltimore Ravens - Adetomiwa Adebawore DL, Northwestern
23) Minnesota Vikings - Quentin Johnston WR, TCU
24) Jacksonville Jaguars - Darnell Washington TE, Georgia
25) New York Giants - Deonte Banks CB, Maryland
26) Dallas Cowboys - Bryan Bresee DT, Clemson
27) Buffalo Bills - John Michael Schmitz OL, Minnesota

28) Cincinnati Bengals - Jahmyr Gibbs RB, Alabama - I've come full circle since December lol. Jahmyr Gibbs is one of the top playmakers in this draft class. The speed he adds to the first level of the Bengals Offense opens up plays downfield.

29) New Orleans Saints - Mazi Smith DL, Michigan
30) Philadelphia Eagles - Keion White DL, Georgia Tech
31) Kansas City Chiefs - Anton Harrison OL, Oklahoma

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

60) Luke Musgrave TE, Oregon State - With only two Tight Ends in the First Round I predict a slide for the athletic but in-experienced TE.

92) Tyler Scott WR, Cincinnati - Bengals continue to add speed to their offense. Scott will effect the spacing of defenses and give them another player they can get to ball in space.

*117) Sean Tucker RB, Syracuse - Tucker is a compact explosive running back. He is an instinctual runner but doesn't have much work as a receiver or blocker.

131) Jakorian Bennett CB, Maryland - Speed. Clone CTB and you have Bennett.

163)  Warren McClendon OL, Georgia - Three Year starter on a top program in the SEC. Lack of athleticism shows but he just does his job.

206) Brenton Strange TE, Penn State - Physical Player as a blocker and receiver. Was a rotational player at Penn State but took a spot from 2 guys ahead of him in 2022.

246) Dante Still DL, WVU - Rotation Interior pass rusher. Quick with a good first step will be able to twist very well but will be a liability in run defense.

Sure get some Offensive playmakers in this Mock. I like it and when you finally went D you went with Corner and 3-tech, well done. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote