Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T. Boyd doesn’t get enough credit for the last 3 years.
Tyler Boyd accepting the WR3/slot role with no ego after Chase was drafted was a HUGE part of building what became the 2021-2022 AFC Championship Cincinnati Bengals. We all respect and love Boyd but i don’t think it’s ever really been a deep dive on what hes actually did the past 3 years.

2018-2020(3 seasons) he was our target leader. No matter who was QB, they were throwing to Boyd. He sees 3 straight seasons of 105+ targets each. When you need a 3rd down, you are looking his way 1st. When you need 4th and short he’s the guy you look to to route up a DB and get that ball. That feels good to a WR. His stats don’t jump off the page TD wise but he builds a reputation in the slot, league wide, as a top 5 slot WR and to many, the BEST slot WR in the league.

Then we draft Chase. But it’s not just drafting Chase. It’s drafting 2 WRs in back to back years in the top 2 rounds. Both with the ability to become better than Boyd. Tee was not better than Boyd day 1 but Chase was unanimously better than Boyd the second he arrived. Boyd goes from being THE GUY, getting all the targets, all the LOVE, all the commercials, all the stadium promos, all that comes with being a team’s beloved WR. And he loses it all within a 10 second podium announcement draft Thursday. It isn’t just targets he lost. He lost TV time. He possibly lost contract leverage, as he likely would’ve had 1 more big contract in him if he was still being used like 2018-2020. He lost the QB’s gaze. Not only did we draft a WR, we drafted Burrow’s FAVORITE WR from college. Chase is Burrow’s first look and EVERYONE knows it.

He’s not asked how he feels about it, or nothing. It just happens.

Then 2021 camp happens. And he puts on his hard hat and he gives his all to the team from day 1. Chase didn’t gradually become Burrow’s top guy over the 16 game season. He was that guy since day 1 of camp and Boyd knew it.

HE TOOK IT IN STRIDE. He took it upon himself to help Tee and Chase and he accepted the role he was cast in. He plays the 2021-2022 and it had to be frustrating. I remember a play, against Baltimore i believe where Boyd is in a bunch slot position to the right and ends up getting a step on the DB with the safety running to double Chase on the left. Burrow throws it to Chase instead of bombing to Boyd and Chase catches it for a 10 yard 1st, that could’ve been a TD to Boyd. Boyd doesn’t go to Burrow mad. He doesn’t do that BS WRs do where they slow sulk to the huddle with bad body language. He fist pumps because we got a first. He did that ALL SEASON.

I think we all acknowledge the loss of targets but i wanted to highlight what else being the guy at WR comes with and what Tyler Boyd willingly left behind. I am pretty sure Boyd could’ve forced his way out if he wanted but he didn’t even try. I always joke and say that he was just tired of facing number 1 cornerbacks for so long.

But i just wanted to make a TB thread because he was a big part of 2021-2022.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
By doesn't get enough credit do you mean by the media or the fans?  I can't speak for all fans myself but I certainly am aware of his contributions.  Plus I'll always remember when he ended the Ravens season in 2017.   Wink

He's signed through 2023 but will probably be moving on either via trade next year or for a pay day with another team in 2024.  He has been a great team player and a solid receiver. Hopefully he can be a part of a Super Bowl win this year before he moves on to his next pay day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I do applaud Boyd's lack of ego. There is a fact you left out. Boyd made more money in 2021 than Burrow, Chase and Higgins.

My point is he was highly compensated and is one of if not the hugest paid 3rd receivers in the NFL. I think that helped ease any potential ego issues so kudos to the FO for paying him well
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I can't get over him choking in the superbowl...
Reply/Quote
Over the last 4 seasons ('18-'21)  Boyd is

4th in NFL in receptions on 3rd/4th down behind only Devonte Adams, Keenan Allen, and Cooper Cupp.  

5th in first down conversion on 3rd/4th down.

#1 in the league in 4th down receptions (10) and #1 in first down conversions on 4th down (10).  Of the 24 players who have at least 10 targets on 4th down Boyd is #1 in first down conversion percentage (71.4).

Boyd is the main reason that over the last 4 years the Bengals are #2 in the league in total 4th down conversions and #2 in 4th down conversion percentage.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 01:36 PM)Tony Wrote: I can't get over him choking in the superbowl...

Burrow threw some bad passes in the Super Bowl.  You down on him for choking also?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 01:36 PM)Tony Wrote: I can't get over him choking in the superbowl...

That drop probably would not have mattered. Plus he didn't choke. Even the best receivers drop passes. Remember last preseason where everyone was talking about Chase? Shit happens. It was a drop but I would not call it a choke.

Plus out of the 3 starting receivers he lead in catch %, 83.3% in the Super Bowl 9.6 yards per reception. I would not call that a choke, just a bad play at the wrong time.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 01:09 PM)Housh Wrote: Tyler Boyd accepting the WR3/slot role with no ego after Chase was drafted was a HUGE part of building what became the 2021-2022 AFC Championship Cincinnati Bengals. We all respect and love Boyd but i don’t think it’s ever really been a deep dive on what hes actually did the past 3 years.

2018-2020(3 seasons) he was our target leader. No matter who was QB, they were throwing to Boyd. He sees 3 straight seasons of 105+ targets each. When you need a 3rd down, you are looking his way 1st. When you need 4th and short he’s the guy you look to to route up a DB and get that ball. That feels good to a WR. His stats don’t jump off the page TD wise but he builds a reputation in the slot, league wide, as a top 5 slot WR and to many, the BEST slot WR in the league.

Then we draft Chase. But it’s not just drafting Chase. It’s drafting 2 WRs in back to back years in the top 2 rounds. Both with the ability to become better than Boyd. Tee was not better than Boyd day 1 but Chase was unanimously better than Boyd the second he arrived. Boyd goes from being THE GUY, getting all the targets, all the LOVE, all the commercials, all the stadium promos, all that comes with being a team’s beloved WR. And he loses it all within a 10 second podium announcement draft Thursday. It isn’t just targets he lost. He lost TV time. He possibly lost contract leverage, as he likely would’ve had 1 more big contract in him if he was still being used like 2018-2020. He lost the QB’s gaze. Not only did we draft a WR, we drafted Burrow’s FAVORITE WR from college. Chase is Burrow’s first look and EVERYONE knows it.

Then 2021 camp happens. And he puts on his hard hat and he gives his all to the team from day 1. Chase didn’t gradually become Burrow’s top guy over the 16 game season. He was that guy since day 1 of camp and Boyd knew it.

HE TOOK IT IN STRIDE. He took it upon himself to help Tee and Chase and he accepted the role he was cast in. He plays the 2021-2022 and it had to be frustrating. I remember a play, against Baltimore i believe where Boyd is in a bunch slot position to the right and ends up getting a step on the DB with the safety running to double Chase on the left. Burrow throws it to Chase instead of bombing to Boyd and Chase catches it for a 10 yard 1st, that could’ve been a TD to Boyd. Boyd doesn’t go to Burrow mad. He doesn’t do that BS WRs do where they slow sulk to the huddle with bad body language. He fist pumps because we got a first. He did that ALL SEASON.

I think we all acknowledge the loss of targets but i wanted to highlight what else being the guy at WR comes with and what Tyler Boyd willingly left behind. I am pretty sure Boyd could’ve forced his way out if he wanted but he didn’t even try. I always joke and say that he was just tired of facing number 1 cornerbacks for so long.

Nice thread in honor of Tyler Boyd. He deserves it no question Housh. You know, he always reminded me of Housh with his
clutch play but as you say here, dude is just completely unselfish and all class. Like you said cannot say that about most WR's.

I remember seeing a few plays last year like you mention where Boyd was wide open and Burrow passed it to Chase instead 
when he could have had a TD with Boyd. Hope Burrow watches the film and sees these plays and adjusts so Boyd gets the 
ball in these situations this season. Think Burrow will do just that and Boyd has a bigger year than last year if he stays healthy.

Boyd should feast underneath along with Hayden Hurst with both Chase and Tee getting the most attention.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 4 seasons ('18-'21)  Boyd is

4th in NFL in receptions on 3rd/4th down behind only Devonte Adams, Keenan Allen, and Cooper Cupp.  

#1 in the league in 4th down receptions (10) and #1 in first down conversions on 4th down (10).  Of the 24 players who have at least 10 targets on 4th down Boyd is #1 in first down conversion percentage (71.4).

Boyd is the main reason that over the last 4 years the Bengals are #2 in the league in total 4th down conversions and #2 in 4th down conversion percentage.

Nice post Fred, pretty badazz right there... Cool
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 4 seasons ('18-'21)  Boyd is

Boyd has always been one of favorites. So many clutch catches.
Reply/Quote
From what I've, Boyd has been a good player and a team first guy. He has always seemed to be about winning first, personal goals second. I think that mindset helped him deal with the drafting of Tee and Chase. He accepts it because he knows those guys make the team better. It also helps that Chase and Higgins seem to have similar unselfish attitudes when it comes to targets.
Reply/Quote

That was his only drop the entire year lol

Yet it did come at a bad time, but dude is a model of consistency. 

To the OP, great post and glad to see TB getting some well deserved love.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I can easily get over and have long since done so what any Bengal did in the Super Bowl. The boys took a 4 win team to the Super Bowl. 

I remember when we used to jokingly say: "Hell it to the Super Bowl and some would still be mad". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think he gets a lot of credit personally. He's always mentioned when I talk Bengals.

Would love to see if he has another team friendly deal in him to stay the long haul. He'd be a sneaky selection one day for ring of honor maybe?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 01:09 PM)Housh Wrote: Tyler Boyd accepting the WR3/slot role with no ego after Chase was drafted was a HUGE part of building what became the 2021-2022 AFC Championship Cincinnati Bengals. We all respect and love Boyd but i don’t think it’s ever really been a deep dive on what hes actually did the past 3 years.

Very true.  In an era of "me-first" diva WRs, Boyd has been a model of consistency and professionalism.  I don't really know the story behind someone else driving his car and there was a blunt in it when Marv was coach.  That put him in a dog house his sophomore season, but whatever the story was, he put it behind him and just went to work. 

I think with teams almost certainly shifting their focus to avoid getting beat over the top this season by Chase or Higgins, I could see Boyd (and Hurst) becoming an even more integral part of this year's attack.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 07:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very true.  In an era of "me-first" diva WRs, Boyd has been a model of consistency and professionalism.  I don't really know the story behind someone else driving his car and there was a blunt in it when Marv was coach.  That put him in a dog house his sophomore season, but whatever the story was, he put it behind him and just went to work. 

I think with teams almost certainly shifting their focus to avoid getting beat over the top this season by Chase or Higgins, I could see Boyd (and Hurst) becoming an even more integral part of this year's attack.  

Yep, and Mixon and Evans 

Get em back pedaling on the deep stuff and torch em underneath. 
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, and Mixon and Evans 

With a solid o line i think we’re gonna get anything we want underneath. Defenses could really only guard us because the line was so bad. Having to cover for 2.5-3 seconds is waaaay different than having plays where you have to cover for up to 4-5 seconds
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, and Mixon and Evans 

Mixon had 31 receptions over his last 6 games. That is a pace for 88 receptions over a full season. I don't think he will get close to that but I bet he has a career high in receptions this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow threw some bad passes in the Super Bowl.  You down on him for choking also?
Oh was Boyd also running for his life from Donald and von Miller?

These are not comparable.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 03:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mixon had 31 receptions over his last 6 games. That is a pace for 88 receptions over a full season. I don't think he will get close to that but I bet he has a career high in receptions this year.

Yep

I can see Mixon and hopefully Evans eating on dump offs after Tee and Chase stretch the field. And Hurst for that matter.
Reply/Quote