Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense in rounds 2-4 per Hobson mock
Yes I realize one shouldn't put too much faith in what Geoff Hobson says, as it could either be intentional or unintentional misinformation but in two consecutive pieces he has said we'd draft defense after Joe for as long as we could get starters or that we would take defense in rounds 2-4 specifically. So let's see where that takes us (assumed no trades though I think it is likely we move Andy and even may not re-sign AJ):

1: QB JOE BURROW LSU

33: CB BRYCE HALL VIRGINIA

65: LB AKEEM DAVIS-GAITHER APP. ST.

104: EDGE JOSH UCHE MICHIGAN

147: G DARRYL WILLIAMS MISSISSIPPI STATE

180: WR KENDRICK ROGERS TEXAS A&M

215: LB FRANCIS BERNARD UTAH

I feel like we might still find some offensive line help at the top of the 5th at Guard. And I do wonder if they'll try to keep Corddy Glen for his last year and get something out of him to shore up the tackles (Jonah Williams is an unknown and Fred Johnson is just barely more than that). We're set at Center. I'm not impressed with Michael Jordan at Guard so maybe give him a bit of competition. I wanted to do more but given the concept of defense in those earlier rounds this is what I could do. 

Otherwise though I do feel like this draft improves are defense both in depth and in areas of need. One place I align with the Bengals is the belief that you can't have too many highly drafted corners. I'd keep 7 on the roster if we had the talent. As it is, picking 1st in the second round is like a late 1st round pick. Linebacker continues to improve (I added in my darkhorse 7th round favorite pick Francis Bernard who I think is going to make someone's roster next year).

Most of these were value picks per the mock simulator I used (fanspeak) so I feel pretty good about that. What do yall think?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Seems like a standard issue Bengals off-season. Retain as many players as you can (including AJ Green), fill the remaining holes through the draft, then take a guard in round 5 and a WR in round 6. Very typical, honestly. So I don't know if this is a prediction based on actual knowledge or based on our past tendencies.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What Hobs is ignoring is that when the Bengals take a franchise QB, they usually make sure he's surrounded by offensive talent.

I don't buy for one bit that we go defense 2-4 unless those guys are absolute no brainers. I just don't see it happening.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 12:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: What Hobs is ignoring is that when the Bengals take a franchise QB, they usually make sure he's surrounded by offensive talent.

I don't buy for one bit that we go defense 2-4 unless those guys are absolute no brainers.  I just don't see it happening.

I agree with this...with one caveat.
If the Bengals go get good talent in FA (unlikely), that would open the door for going all defense in Rds 2-4.
If they don't go get a couple good offensive guys and roll into 2020 with just Joe Burrow, Jonah Williams, and AJ Green as the only expected upgrades for offense, I don't see that turning a 2-14 team into a winning record.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with this...with one caveat.
If the Bengals go get good talent in FA (unlikely), that would open the door for going all defense in Rds 2-4.
If they don't go get a couple good offensive guys and roll into 2020 with just Joe Burrow, Jonah Williams, and AJ Green as the only expected upgrades for offense, I don't see that turning a 2-14 team into a winning record.

Yeah.  I think the odds of getting a free agent that will contribute is slim to none.  I will disagree on with you on the record.  If Jonah and AJ are both healthy and play to their potential, this team is easily a 6-9 win team.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 02:46 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Yes I realize one shouldn't put too much faith in what Geoff Hobson says, as it could either be intentional or unintentional misinformation but in two consecutive pieces he has said we'd draft defense after Joe for as long as we could get starters or that we would take defense in rounds 2-4 specifically. So let's see where that takes us (assumed no trades though I think it is likely we move Andy and even may not re-sign AJ):

1: QB JOE BURROW LSU

33: CB BRYCE HALL VIRGINIA

65: LB AKEEM DAVIS-GAITHER APP. ST.

104: EDGE JOSH UCHE MICHIGAN

147: G DARRYL WILLIAMS MISSISSIPPI STATE

180: WR KENDRICK ROGERS TEXAS A&M

215: LB FRANCIS BERNARD UTAH

I feel like we might still find some offensive line help at the top of the 5th at Guard. And I do wonder if they'll try to keep Corddy Glen for his last year and get something out of him to shore up the tackles (Jonah Williams is an unknown and Fred Johnson is just barely more than that). We're set at Center. I'm not impressed with Michael Jordan at Guard so maybe give him a bit of competition. I wanted to do more but given the concept of defense in those earlier rounds this is what I could do. 

Otherwise though I do feel like this draft improves are defense both in depth and in areas of need. One place I align with the Bengals is the belief that you can't have too many highly drafted corners. I'd keep 7 on the roster if we had the talent. As it is, picking 1st in the second round is like a late 1st round pick. Linebacker continues to improve (I added in my darkhorse 7th round favorite pick Francis Bernard who I think is going to make someone's roster next year).

Most of these were value picks per the mock simulator I used (fanspeak) so I feel pretty good about that. What do yall think?

Cordy Glenn will be gone and Hobson is correct,we are going defense rounds 2-4 unless someone is there that should have been drafted much earlier and they would have to take a long look at,we need to upgrade our horrible defense and that starts up front and the secondary,we allowed way too many long passes to be completed and that has to be stopped,.we need a dominate cornerback and safety,an passrusher that gets home and sacks the qb.Gotta have a top 10 defense this year,or better and there are some great defensive players in this draft.Linebackers are not considered gamechangers unless  they are tops on their teams and I believe we will address a starting linebacker in free agency.Its going to be exciting this coming season.The AFC-NORTH will dominate all other teams. The browns are going to be good,so will the steelers and the ravens are pissed they loss in the playoffs,Its going to be a fierce fight all the way.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 07:28 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote:  
Cordy Glenn will be gone and Hobson is correct,we are going defense rounds 2-4 unless someone is there that should have been drafted much earlier and they would have to take a long look at,we need to upgrade our horrible defense and that starts up front and the secondary,we allowed way too many long passes to be completed and that has to be stopped,.we need a dominate cornerback and safety,an passrusher that gets home and sacks the qb.Gotta have a top 10 defense this year,or better and there are some great defensive players in this draft.Linebackers are not considered gamechangers unless  they are tops on their teams and I believe we will address a starting linebacker in free agency.Its going to be exciting this coming season.The AFC-NORTH will dominate all other teams. The browns are going to be good,so will the steelers and the ravens are pissed they loss in the playoffs,Its going to be a fierce fight all the way.

I can't see any way we go defense 2-4.  Just won't happen.  There are too many holes on the O-line and injuries to the WRs year after year to ignore those spots.
Reply/Quote