Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TDN: Bengals 7-Round Mock Draft.
The Draft Network gets around to Cincinnati in their 7-Round mock draft series.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/cincinnati-bengals-7-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-february

I like it.

I thought they should have went with the Z receiver before the slot but they do add both and the Bengals WR depth is meh.

Quote:ROUND 1 (NO. 5 OVERALL): PENEI SEWELL, OT, OREGON
Arguably the most popular mocked pick in the draft outside of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Trevor Lawrence, Sewell and the Bengals are a match made in heaven. Protecting Burrow must be the Bengals' No. 1 priority this offseason.  Prior to going down with an injury, Burrow was the most sacked player in the NFL—and with a talent like Burrow, that can’t be the case moving forward. Sewell is the best offensive tackle in this class and has rare traits that allow him to project as a high-level player almost instantly at the next level. Sewell can protect Burrow's blindside for the next decade.

ROUND 2 (NO. 37 OVERALL): JAYSON OWEH, EDGE, PENN STATE
The Bengals miss the days of Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson being one of the stronger edge rushing duos in the NFL. Last season, the Bengals had one of the least talented pass-rushing groups in the NFL, offering very little juice and difference makers. Adding a talent like Oweh would give the Bengals some much-needed talent at the defensive end position. Oweh has a freakish first step and has the length and bend to finish at the quarterback. Oweh may be a bit raw, but he offers double-digit sack production upside.

ROUND 3 (NO. 69): HUNTER LONG, TE, BOSTON COLLEGE
Surrounding Burrow with as much quality talent around as him as possible will be a big theme of this mock draft. The Bengals received very little production at tight end last season, and one could argue their collection of talent at the position is the worst in the NFL. C.J. Uzomah, who isn’t the worst player, tore his Achilles early in the year and can’t be counted as a starting tight end moving forward. I am a really big fan of Long and think he would excel in this offense. Long broke out this season for Boston College and displayed a strong NFL skill set. Long has great size and is an above-average athlete. He is competitive as a blocker and is a smooth athlete as a receiver with great hands and enough speed to win down the seam.

ROUND 4 (NO. 109): AMARI RODGERS, WR, CLEMSON
This would be a steal. Rodgers was one of the most consistent players in the country last season and is exactly what you are looking for in a slot receiver. He is quick, tough, smart, and has natural ball skills and excellent hands. Rodgers put his skill set on display throughout Senior Bowl week and raised his stock considerably. I expect him to go higher than this on draft day. For the Bengals, he is a perfect security blanket for Burrow in the slot next to Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd.

ROUND 5 (NO. 148 OVERALL): SADARIUS HUTCHERSON, G, SOUTH CAROLINA
Cincinnati needs to upgrade almost all of their offensive line. Outside of Jonah Williams, the team shouldn’t have much confidence in their returning starters. We already added Sewell to take over at left tackle, but now we need to address the interior of this offensive line, which really struggled in 2020. Hutcherson would provide great depth and has the skill set to develop into a strong starter.

ROUND 6 (NO. 186 OVERALL): THOMAS GRAHAM, CB, OREGON
Defending the pass was something the Bengals struggled to do all season. The team lacks playmakers at corner and can certainly use more depth at the position, especially as William Jackson is a pending free agent. Oregon’s Graham is a nice pick here in the sixth round. He is a tough, instinctual corner who is an excellent athlete. Graham can play outside or inside and will be an asset on special teams from day one.

ROUND 7 (NO. 229 OVERALL): IHMIR SMITH-MARSETTE, WR, IOWA
The Bengals are going to have to add a few receivers, as it's very likely that Bengals legend A.J. Green has played his snaps in the orange and black stripes. The team has two great young players in Boyd and Higgins but can still add some depth and give Burrow more weapons to distribute the football to. Smith-Marsette is exactly what the Bengals are missing. An explosive, deep threat who offers good speed and hands down the field. He can also be a difference-making kick returner, too. You know the phrase: "The more you can do."

ROUND 7 (NO. 247 OVERALL): TUF BORLAND, LB, OHIO STATE
The Ohio State Buckeye stays in Ohio. The Bengals have some talented young linebackers but are expecting to lose veteran Josh Bynes in free agency and could use some depth. Borland is exactly what you want in a late-round pick. He will make the 53-man roster as a competitive sixth linebacker who will be a standout on special teams. Borland can develop into a nice depth player.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hard to dislike this Draft.

I would of liked an interior 3-tech pass rusher but Long and especially Rodgers would be hard to pass up.

The picks of Sewell and Hutcherson would immediately help the team and Oweh is a great addition to our pass rush.

I like it a lot. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Solid draft without knowing our FA signing and FA pickups.., I like the addressing more pressing needs of Oline and Dline then looking at TE/WR...
Reply/Quote
I'm a bit suspect of Oweh in the second. Seems like another Margus Hunt to me.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Overall it looks good, but I'm going to nitpick the receivers taken.

From what I've observed on videos, Hunter Long possesses just average speed for a TE.
He has great mitts, size, and finds ways to make catches, but he's more like a security blanket rather than a featured weapon.
I'd prefer a more dynamic TE.

Rodgers seems like a slot-only guy. He's either going to have to play behind Boyd or Boyd will have to get forced outside, where he's less effective.

ISM was arrested back in early Nov for OVI and speeding. Per court documents, was going 74 mph in a 30 mph zone. He admitted to drinking and took a breathalyzer that measured BAC at 0.13.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Getting Sewell may seem enough to make this draft successful, but I am not convinced. I have seen better but realistic drafts elsewhere.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 06:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Getting Sewell may seem enough to make this draft successful, but I am not convinced.  I have seen better but realistic drafts elsewhere.

No draft is really successful unless you can get 3 or more key contributors on offense/defense. That's my view anyway.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 06:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Overall it looks good, but I'm going to nitpick the receivers taken.

From what I've observed on videos, Hunter Long possesses just average speed for a TE.
He has great mitts, size, and finds ways to make catches, but he's more like a security blanket rather than a featured weapon.

Rodgers seems like a slot-only guy. He's either going to have to play behind Boyd or Boyd will have to get forced outside, where he's less effective.

ISM was arrested back in early Nov for OVI and speeding. Per court documents, was going 74 mph in a 30 mph zone. He admitted to drinking and took a breathalyzer that measured BAC at 0.13.

What is average TE speed? Low 4.6s is solid 40 time for a TE but its more about their Shuttles and 3-cone.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 06:44 PM)Synric Wrote: What is average TE speed? Low 4.6s is solid 40 time for a TE but its more about their Shuttles and 3-cone.

I posted a separate thread on 40 speed by position, but 4.70 is average for TE.
I wasn't just referring to 40 time though with my statement. He doesn't seem to be very agile either, so I don't expect him to have a great shuttle or 3-cone. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 06:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Overall it looks good, but I'm going to nitpick the receivers taken.

4.7 is avg TE  time ,Hunter is in 4.5 range so above avg also is less one dimensional than other TEs, great pic to me
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 07:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 4.7 is avg TE  time ,Hunter is in 4.5 range so above avg also is less one dimensional than other TEs, great pic to me
https://walterfootball.com/draft2021TE.php

4.79 is not even close to 4.5   Hunter Long doesn;t have Pitts speed and it's not even close.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 04:30 PM)Synric Wrote: The Draft Network gets around to Cincinnati in their 7-Round mock draft series.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/cincinnati-bengals-7-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-february

I like it.

I thought they should have went with the Z receiver before the slot but they do add both and the Bengals WR depth is meh.

How about this?

2. Kadarius Toney WR

3. Patrick Jones DE

4. Quintin Morris TE
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 08:55 PM)pulses Wrote: https://walterfootball.com/draft2021TE.php

4.79 is not even close to 4.5   Hunter Long doesn;t have Pitts speed and it's not even close.

Walterfootball are guessing at 40 times.

Until Boston Colleges Pro Day on March 26th we have no idea what are Hunter Long's Measureables.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 09:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Walterfootball are guessing at 40 times.

Until Boston Colleges Pro Day on March 26th we have no idea what are Hunter Long's Measureables.

Well from watching tape you can tell Long is not even close to the same speed as Pitts.   Only TE's to run in the 4.5's will probably be Pitts and Yeboah.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 08:55 PM)pulses Wrote: https://walterfootball.com/draft2021TE.php

I read a 4.58 but that was a recruiting site so i would agree that seems low... but if you are going off walterfootball.. Pitts is not brazing TE.. at 4.68 either.. again i don;t buy into all the 40 times especially a TE who is in the mix much more with defenders coming off the line than WRs.. but I don;t consider as the post previous suggested Long slow at all.. and we are not comparing him to Pitts, we are talking about a 3rd round pick and he would be an excellent catch in 3rd round after we have picked a Oline and Dline in 1/2 round.. don't you agree ?
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 09:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I read a 4.58 but that was a recruiting site so i would agree that seems low... but if you are going off walterfootball.. Pitts is not brazing TE.. at 4.68 either.. again i don;t buy into all the 40 times especially a TE who is in the mix much more with defenders coming off the line than WRs.. but I don;t consider as the post previous suggested Long slow at all.. and we are not comparing him to Pitts, we are talking about a 3rd round pick and he would be an excellent catch in 3rd round after we have picked a Oline and Dline in 1/2 round.. don't you agree ?

I'd rather have Yeboah personally.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 09:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Walterfootball are guessing at 40 times.

This is of course, best case scenario, being hand timed. 

Leonard brought his stopwatch to the next tryout for a 40-yard dash. “I personally timed him at 4.59 (seconds). We knew we had something. He ate up this defensive back who was a Michigan commit. We were holding our breath hoping someone like Penn State or Don Brown at Michigan wasn’t seeing this.”

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score-36660693

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2021, 01:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This is of course, best case scenario, being hand timed. 

Leonard brought his stopwatch to the next tryout for a 40-yard dash. “I personally timed him at 4.59 (seconds). We knew we had something. He ate up this defensive back who was a Michigan commit. We were holding our breath hoping someone like Penn State or Don Brown at Michigan wasn’t seeing this.”

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score-36660693

Fans forget Charley Casserly hand timed everyone at the NFL Combine and it was always very close to the laser timer. If Hunter Long is 6'5 250+ runs a low 4.6 with a 10 yard split of like 1.61 and a 3 cone around 7.0 that is great TE measurables plus he shows up on tape. People are just Kyle Pitts crazy right now.

As for the Mock Draft Jayson Oweh is a big time boom or bust prospect and Rodgers is a slot receiver. Like I mentioned in the OP I would have rather had someone like Dyami Brown in that spot a true Z with production.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2021, 03:15 AM)pulses Wrote: I'd rather have Yeboah personally.
Hmm he seems more project driven to me and not as fine tuned as Long , but if we miss on Long 2nd day, he is probably there on 3rd day.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2021, 03:15 AM)pulses Wrote: I'd rather have Yeboah personally.

Cause of his forty time?

I just don't understand this thought anymore and I was for the John Ross pick....
Reply/Quote