Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TDN's How to Fix the Cincinnati Bengals.
The Draft Network is doing a Who is to Blame" and "How to fix" series for different teams. This is how they would fix the Bengals.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/how-to-fix-the-cincinnati-bengals-over-the-2020-offseason

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals currently have the worst record in football and that’s exactly how Bengals’ fans should hope the season finishes. At the end of the road, the reward of receiving the first-overall pick in the 2020 draft means receiving LSU quarterback Joe Burrow, which should make Who Dey Nation very excited.

Burrow has exceptional accuracy to all levels of the field, field vision, football IQ, the ability to handle pressure, athleticism and intangibles. The season he has put together at LSU is arguably the greatest year an SEC quarterback has ever had. He’s met every moment and proven to be the difference-maker for the undefeated Tigers. He’s an Ohio native and he is perfect for Zac Taylor’s offense. And when you consider the Nebraska ties for both Burrow and Taylor, it’s truly an ideal marriage.

Entering the offseason, Cincinnati has the resources in terms of available cap space and draft capital at its disposal to make significant strides to improve the talent on the roster. Here’s what they should do.

FIRE LOU ANARUMO
Rarely do head coaches or coordinators deserve to be one-and-done but Anarumo’s unit has performed at a level that warrants the idea. The search to settle on Anarumo as the guy to lead Zac Taylor’s defense was exhausting. After the Bengals’ passed on Jack Del Rio, Florida’s Todd Grantham turned down the gig and the Bengals failed to secure an interview with Ohio State’s Jeff Hafley.

We have seen other young offensive-minded head coaches land gigs and each of them secured an established defensive mind to coordinate the defense. Sean McVay hired Wade Phillips. Matt LeFleur retained Mike Pettine. Kliff Kingsbury has Vance Joseph. And while Anarumo may be in his early 50s, his experience coordinating NFL defense is lacking.

Outside of a stint in 2015 as the interim defensive coordinator for the Dolphins, Anarumo’s experience comes as a defensive backs coach with the Giants (2018), Dolphins (2012-17), Purdue (20014-11), Marshall (2001-03) and Harvard (1995-2000).

As detailed yesterday, the Bengals defense has been among the worst in the NFL and did nothing to lift a struggling offense.

It was gashed in the run game, yielded big plays in the passing game, couldn’t get to the quarterback and didn’t create takeaways. The Bengals are among the bottom five in each of the following categories:

Sacks (21)
Yards Per Passing Attempt Allowed (8.4)
Yards Per Rushing Attempt Allowed (4.9)
Takeaways (12)
There is enough defensive talent on the Bengals’ rosters to reasonably expect better from this unit. The worst thing a team can do is cling to mistakes and Anarumo is proving to be an underperforming coach. It’s time for Taylor to try again to find the right lead man for his defense.

THREE CONTRACTS TO RENEW
With a projected $64 million in salary-cap space, Cincinnati does have several of its own free agents to consider for extensions. These three will need to come back.

A.J. Green

The A.J. Green situation has been a weird one to follow. Rostered for the entire season, Green never got healthy enough to play in a game. Green is on the wrong side of 30 and has missed 29 out of a possible 64 games since 2016 due to injury. With that said, Green’s production once healthy and what he can mean to a rookie quarterback is reason enough to keep him in Cincinnati.

Darqueze Dennard

A first-round pick in 2014, Darqueze Dennard hasn’t emerged into a lockdown corner but he is versatile, experienced and more than serviceable. While the Bengals shouldn’t break the bank (don’t worry, Mike Brown would never), being careful to not create more holes by letting Dennard walk would be wise.

Andrew Billings

Cincinnati has surrendered the most rushing yards in the NFL, so, on the one hand, it may appear odd to suggest re-signing Andrew Billings who literally exists on the roster to stuff the run. With that said, Billings is an ascending player who has played well in each of the last two seasons serving his role as an interior gap plugger. Poor linebacker play and a lack of depth have attributed more to the Bengals’ issues defending the run. A fourth-round pick in 2016, Billings has earned an extension.

One to let go: Andy Dalton

Andy Dalton helped the Bengals achieve uncommon success, but his run in Cincinnati should be over. The team has clearly peaked with him as the starter and he can be released after the season for a cap savings of $17.7 million while accumulating no dead cap space. Those savings will be helpful for the construction of the roster moving forward and Dalton may get a legitimate chance to compete to be another team’s starter.

THREE KEY FREE AGENTS
The Bengals are typically quite passive when it comes to the free-agent market but the cap space is available for Cincinnati to add talent to a roster in need of it. The Bengals would be wise to consider these three additions.

Jack Conklin (TDN Analyst Ben Solak)

The Bengals offensive line needs major upgrades, especially at right tackle. The 25-year-old Jack Conklin has been an above-average starter since the Titans made him the eighth overall pick in the 2016 draft and would represent a massive improvement for Cincinnati. He is an athletic blocker that would fit well with the concepts of Taylor’s offense.

Beau Allen (TDN Analyst Kyle Crabbs)

The Bengals have to do a better job winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and Beau Allen is one of the more stout run defenders in the league. Whether Andrew Billings is extended or not, Allen would help beef up the interior defensive line and help fix the problematic run defense.

Cory Littleton (TDN Analyst Joe Marino)

An undrafted free agent in 2016, Cory Littleton has developed over the last four seasons into one of the better off-ball linebackers in the NFL. He is a sure tackler that has been excellent in coverage while showcasing impressive processing skills. Taylor is familiar with Littleton from his time in Los Angeles and he would go a long way in shoring up the second level of the Bengals’ defense that figures to be overhauled this offseason.

Draft Joe Burrow

Chase Young is a rare talent that is deserving of the first-overall pick, but he isn’t a quarterback. Burrow is a quarterback, also deserving of the top pick and this shouldn’t be a difficult decision for the Bengals.

They also have a 7 round mock draft included.

1. Joe Burrow QB LSU
2. Creed Humphrey IOL Oklahoma
3. Troy Dye LB Oregon
4. Justin Jefferson WR LSU
5. Eric Stokes CB Georgia
6. Jordan Scott IDL Oregon
7. Ladarius Hutchinson IOL South Carolina 

Their "Who is to Blame" article for the Bengals can be found here:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/blame-game--who-is-to-blame-for-the-2019-cincinnati-bengals
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds pretty good to me butt:

I'd also add Turner to the fire list and think long and hard about an experienced OC.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 09:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sounds pretty good to me butt:

I'd also add Turner to the fire list and think long and hard about an experienced OC.

I'm not in the camp of just firing people and expecting it to solve the problem because usually it takes time for players to get comfortable in a new system...now if there isn't an improvement at the end of year two then yea start handing out pink slips.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 09:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sounds pretty good to me butt:

I would rather get an "Assistant Head Coach" to take care of administrative crap and practice organizational things over replacing Taylor as OC.  He deserves a chance with a better offensive line and more than the weapons he had available this year.  

The key to this article is the FA, and they are spot on.  Go to an above average RT, add depth on the defensive line, and get a rangy, sure-tackling LB and this team is massively improved.  I have no idea who will be out there, but if there is a veteran safety that is savvy but still has some legs left, I would look at that as well.  

The draft will need to have some home runs, but since I don't see them trading away #1 and losing Burrow (and I pray they keep pick #1), I would strongly lean toward offering up that first pick in Rd 2 for more picks.  Unless there is a ridiculous talent that somehow slid, I would take two 2nd rounders over that one pick, if they were able to achieve it.  
Reply/Quote
Agree with the piece and also certainly agree we need a new OL coach and a freaking OC who calls plays.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would rather get an "Assistant Head Coach" to take care of administrative crap and practice organizational things over replacing Taylor as OC.  He deserves a chance with a better offensive line and more than the weapons he had available this year.  

The key to this article is the FA, and they are spot on.  Go to an above average RT, add depth on the defensive line, and get a rangy, sure-tackling LB and this team is massively improved.  I have no idea who will be out there, but if there is a veteran safety that is savvy but still has some legs left, I would look at that as well.  

The draft will need to have some home runs, but since I don't see them trading away #1 and losing Burrow (and I pray they keep pick #1), I would strongly lean toward offering up that first pick in Rd 2 for more picks.  Unless there is a ridiculous talent that somehow slid, I would take two 2nd rounders over that one pick, if they were able to achieve it.  

Doug Rosfeld handles administrative crap and those organizational things already.  Zac also has an OC in Brian Callahan.  Maybe he needs to let Callahan be the play-caller and deal with just the HC duties

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Ok... I guess I'm ok with taking Burrow if they do all of that...

But they won't.

They thought we'd sign Littleton... Haha.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Surprised to not see Hopkins' name on the "Contracts to Renew" list.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 11:15 AM)jason Wrote: Ok... I guess I'm ok with taking Burrow if they do all of that...

But they won't.

They thought we'd sign Littleton... Haha.

Wrong. They are saying the Bengals SHOULD sign Littleton, not that they will.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Surprised to not see Hopkins' name on the "Contracts to Renew" list.

Agreed ^^^^^
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown will not do all of that. Sure he'll draft Burrow, but to go after 3 good free agents from other teams? Never

Also, Taylor has been given an opportunity to succeed and he's got 1 win to show it. Sure AJ's been out all year, but that should never lead to a 1-12 record. The team simply rarely comes to a game ready to play. Compare them to the Steelers who are missing more due to injury.

It is Taylor who wasn't ready and doesn't seem to be getting more ready has the season goes on.

It will be more draft-by-committee where the Brown family will make the key decisions. Expect more Sample and Ross like picks.

Reply/Quote
No way will we get Justin Jefferson in the 4th Round. No way.

He's end of 1st/Top of 2nd Round talent.
Reply/Quote
The thing about Jack Conklin is he will be getting a ton of high competitive offers because he is the best free agent tackle and damn near the only good one.

Now Linebackers there are options Mychal Kendricks, Jamie Collins, Joe Schobert.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 02:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No way will we get Justin Jefferson in the 4th Round. No way.

He's end of 1st/Top of 2nd Round talent.

I wouldnt say first but definitely second nny other year, but this year is stacked with ALOT of WR talent. It's going to push guys down the draft board.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wrong. They are saying the Bengals SHOULD sign Littleton, not that they will.

Well I say the should too...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Corey Littleton and Blake Martinez are 2 LB's I'd love for us to get at least one of them, preferably both, but MB will be partial to Virgil (you know we drafted him and have to keep him).

Wouldn't mind Leonard Williams on the DL either. Sign an RT/RG and leaves the draft open to a lot of possibilities.

If Amari Cooper hits FA, then I'd see no reason to bring back AJ Green when a little more could land this guy.

Lots of directions we could go in the draft Pass on Burrow move back in top 5, still land Andrew Guardner and Jalen Hurts, or Burrow and best OL in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 09:49 AM)Synric Wrote: The Draft Network is doing a Who is to Blame" and "How to fix" series for different teams. This is how they would fix the Bengals.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/how-to-fix-the-cincinnati-bengals-over-the-2020-offseason

They also have a 7 round mock draft included.

1. Joe Burrow QB LSU
2. Creed Humphrey IOL Oklahoma
3. Troy Dye LB Oregon
4. Justin Jefferson WR LSU
5. Eric Stokes CB Georgia
6. Jordan Scott IDL Oregon
7. Ladarius Hutchinson IOL South Carolina 

Their "Who is to Blame" article for the Bengals can be found here:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/blame-game--who-is-to-blame-for-the-2019-cincinnati-bengals
Remember it took high drama and many years for Marvin Lewis to get significant input on drafts, free agents, operations from Mike Brown.  Zac will be coming off at least a 14 loss season and will have zero leverage with Mike Brown.  Mike will do what he's always done, call the shots and the fans won't like it.  He made the call to ignore free agency this season too.  I expect a inactive off season with a stand pat draft and "affordable Mike Brown Style" FA's.  Again the fans won't like it.  But it works for Mike and his family.  Guys I wouldn't be shocked if Dalton stays on either.
Reply/Quote
So it's as easy as just drafting a bunch of good players and signing several high end starters?

WHO would have thought that?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 04:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So it's as easy as just drafting a bunch of good players and signing several high end starters?

WHO would have thought that?

The biggest issue with the whole article is there is no competition for those high end free agents. In real life they will have multiple teams with with competitive offers. Jack Conklin for example is going to get alot of high offers.

Reply/Quote
Something tells me Mike Brown will go after Tua Tagovailoa, not Joe Burrow. When was the last time the Bengals drafted someone in the first round who wasn't injured? Probably AJ Green in 2011!
Reply/Quote