Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TE Austin Hooper
It is being reported that the Browns will be releasing TE Austin Hooper as a post Jun 1 designee. Hooper is 27 and had 38 receptions for 341 yards last season. His best year was 2019 in Atlanta with 75 receptions for 787 yards. CJ replacement?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:31 AM)pally Wrote: It is being reported that the Browns will be releasing TE Austin Hooper as a post Jun 1 designee.  Hooper is 27 and had 38 receptions for 341 yards last season.  His best year was 2019 in Atlanta with 75 receptions for 787 yards.  CJ replacement?

What does 'post June 1 designee' mean?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:33 AM)bwh Wrote: What odes 'post June 1 designee' mean?

Reduces the cap hit for this year. It spreads it out over multiple years.

Although these rules apply to many cuts, a different set of rules is in place for players released after June 1. In that case, a team can spread the cap hit across two seasons rather than one — for the current season, the prorated bonus figure stays at its original amount, with the remaining bonus balance accelerating onto the following season. Referring again to the above scenario, that means the player would count against the cap for $2MM in the league year in which he was cut, with the remaining $4MM applying to the following league year.

The guidelines for pre-June 1 and post-June 1 cuts are fairly straightforward, but things become a little more complicated when we take into account that teams are allowed to designate up to two players as post-June 1 cuts even if those players are released before June.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:34 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Reduces the cap hit for this year.  It spreads it out over multiple years.

Although these rules apply to many cuts, a different set of rules is in place for players released after June 1. In that case, a team can spread the cap hit across two seasons rather than one — for the current season, the prorated bonus figure stays at its original amount, with the remaining bonus balance accelerating onto the following season. Referring again to the above scenario, that means the player would count against the cap for $2MM in the league year in which he was cut, with the remaining $4MM applying to the following league year.

The guidelines for pre-June 1 and post-June 1 cuts are fairly straightforward, but things become a little more complicated when we take into account that teams are allowed to designate up to two players as post-June 1 cuts even if those players are released before June.

Thanks for the explanation. So, when this happens, he becomes a free agent immediately  ?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:40 AM)bwh Wrote: Thanks for the explanation. So, when this happens, he becomes a free agent immediately  ?

Yes, that is correct. The post June 1 designation is reserved for financial flexibility, and has nothing to do with the players availability to sign with a new team.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:44 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yes, that is correct.  The post June 1 designation is reserved for financial flexibility, and has nothing to do with the players availability to sign with a new team.

Thanks, again. The 'June 1 ' threw me off.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:46 AM)bwh Wrote: Thanks, again. The 'June 1 ' threw me off.

The new league year used to start on June 2nd, and you would see a lot of cap casualties around that time. Players like Jerry Rice and Kurt Warner were released on the middle of the summer, but the teams had to wait until
Then for salary cap relief. The new provision allows financial flexibility but also giving players a better opportunity to find a new hom.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:31 AM)pally Wrote: It is being reported that the Browns will be releasing TE Austin Hooper as a post Jun 1 designee.  Hooper is 27 and had 38 receptions for 341 yards last season.  His best year was 2019 in Atlanta with 75 receptions for 787 yards.  CJ replacement?

He would be a good candidate. I don't think the Browns used him as effectively as the Falcons.

Cleveland signed him after Njoku basically lost a season to injury. I'm not sure if they wanted to run a two TE system or if they had lost confidence in Njoku. But, the franchise tag on Njoku ($10.9M) and Hooper's salary of $9.5M indicates Hooper is a salary cap casualty. 
Reply/Quote
He was really good with the Falcons. Perhaps the quality of quarterback and run-heavy offense covered him up in Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:44 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yes, that is correct.  The post June 1 designation is reserved for financial flexibility, and has nothing to do with the players availability to sign with a new team.

I do believe though that if you designate someone as a Post-June 1 release, their cap stays on the books until June 1 arrives, right?
So it hampers the team in the short term but helps in the long term?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 01:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He would be a good candidate. I don't think the Browns used him as effectively as the Falcons.

Cleveland signed him after Njoku basically lost a season to injury. I'm not sure if they wanted to run a two TE system or if they had lost confidence in Njoku. But, the franchise tag on Njoku ($10.9M) and Hooper's salary of $9.5M indicates Hooper is a salary cap casualty. 

20 million on tight ends? No question the math doesn’t work
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 03:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I do believe though that if you designate someone as a Post-June 1 release, their cap stays on the books until June 1 arrives, right?
So it hampers the team in the short term but helps in the long term?

Right, and then it rolls over whatever wasn’t this year into next year
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 01:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He would be a good candidate. I don't think the Browns used him as effectively as the Falcons.

While not the locker room guy CJ was, either Hooper or OJ Howard could be potential Upgrades on the field.
Reply/Quote
the perfect scenario for us. a guy we can get on a 1-year prove-it deal that will benefit the team.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 03:39 PM)Okeana Wrote: the perfect scenario for us. a guy we can get on a 1-year prove-it deal that will benefit the team.

I’d try for a 2-3 year deal and lock that position up for the near/mid future. Hooper would be the best TE the bengals have had since a healthy eifert.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see the Bengals save some of their cap for the post June 1st cuts. They'll have a better feel of their team and be able to attack their weaknesses more aggressively.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 03:40 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’d try for a 2-3 year deal and lock that position up for the near/mid future.  Hooper would be the best TE the bengals have had since a healthy eifert.

I think drafting a TE is also possible. Get a stop gap who could work long term but is not a long term salary drag if we strike gold in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't be too excited for Hooper. Doesn't have to be Gronk either. a 1yr prove it deal as Okeana mentioned would be alright. Maybe draft McBride/Likely too.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I would take Hooper all day!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote