Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TE - Michael Mayer

Imagine Burrow throwing to Chase, Tee, Boyd, and Mayer next year… Big Grin

But honestly I hope we aren’t picking high enough to get him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Would be over the moon if we could get him...

But I'd be cool with Whyle in the 3rd or 4th as well. Guy is a white whale on a black background, as a target and a decent blocker.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 0e6f8557011c0d1a4dcd5d4cde524990.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 02:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Imagine Burrow throwing to Chase, Tee, Boyd, and Mayer next year… Big Grin

I wonder if Taylor would rework the offensive game plan to include enough designed targets to the TE to even make having Mayer worth the draft pick it would take to get him?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 08:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder if Taylor would rework the offensive game plan to include enough designed targets to the TE to even make having Mayer worth the draft pick it would take to get him?

Hurst is on pace for 90+ targets, so it’s not like he wouldn’t get the ball. Especially since Mayer could actually stretch the field a bit compared to Hurst as just a check down/YAC guy.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 09:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hurst is on pace for 90+ targets, so it’s not like he wouldn’t get the ball. Especially since Mayer could actually stretch the field a bit compared to Hurst as just a check down/YAC guy.

I'll believe it when I see it out of the Zac Taylor offense.  We could have Travis Freakin' Kelce on this team and I'm not sure that he wouldn't just be an outlet/YAC guy in the Zac Taylor offense.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 09:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll believe it when I see it out of the Zac Taylor offense.  We could have Travis Freakin' Kelce on this team and I'm not sure that he wouldn't just be an outlet/YAC guy in the Zac Taylor offense.

Just think about the seam pass to CJ in the Wild Card game against the Raiders…

Give me more of that please.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 09:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Just think about the seam pass to CJ in the Wild Card game against the Raiders…

Give me more of that please.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the TE used down field more often. Showing the ability to hit the TE for a significant gain would likely result in one of the WRs getting left in single coverage at an opportune moment.  Not to mention how it would make defenses reluctant to stack the box, resulting in more YAC for the RBs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 02:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

It's his favorite team because he's from Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati and went to my high school!

I know him and his family pretty well. They're great people. His brother played quarterback at Miami (OH). I have a few pics with Michael on Facebook.

We need to trade up from 32 to draft him! He'd kill it in this division and he'd be Burrow's wet dream! Imagine a defense trying to cover him AND Chase!
Reply/Quote
Sad but true, we won't even be able to sniff Mayer in the draft because he'll go much higher. A real threat for any QB. He could always be the first non QB to pull an Eli Manning and force his way to Cincinnati.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I bet we would have to trade up for Mayer and I doubt we do that. Also I like Hurst and would like to bring
him back but he would be 30 years old so might be starting to fall off in a few years. TE is a need if Hurst leaves
via Free Agency and Mayer or Brock Bowers would be fantastic adds to this Offense.

Always nice having a Bengal fan playing on the Bengals like Tee. I agree with Sunset that if we did draft a TE like
Mayer, Zac would have to concentrate on using the TE more in the passing game and not just as a check down or
the last option for Burrow. I think with one of either Boyd or Tee leaving a pass catching TE could be affective for
our Offense if used correctly and to his talents.
Reply/Quote
I'm good if we pick last from winning the Super Bowl and don't get this guy. 
Reply/Quote
Let's not fall in love with another skill position player while we still have a gaping wound on the offensive line.

The team needs to spend a great deal of time looking in depth at OL prospects and not swing and miss or "push it off cause the draft is deep at OL."

We tried that and got exactly 0 help for the line from Carman and Smith. Find an elite LT prospect that loves the Bengals and let's get hyped about him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 11:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Let's not fall in love with another skill position player while we still have a gaping wound on the offensive line.

The team needs to spend a great deal of time looking in depth at OL prospects and not swing and miss or "push it off cause the draft is deep at OL."

We tried that and got exactly 0 help for the line from Carman and Smith. Find an elite LT prospect that loves the Bengals and let's get hyped about him.

Here we go again…

For the millionth time - teams should always be aiming to draft the BPA (especially in the 1st round), and utilizing free agency to fill needs. Now, if they feel the BPA is an offensive lineman, then by all means, take him. But they shouldn’t do it out of desperation. That’s how you get a Billy Price in the 1st round. If they have a player at another position ranked significantly higher than whoever the best tackle left on the board is at that time then the last thing I want them to do is settle. Not with a premium pick.

Again, let me reiterate that I’m totally down to go tackle if that’s who they want, but I’m also completely open to other positions.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Here we go again…

For the millionth time - teams should always be aiming to draft the BPA (especially in the 1st round), and utilizing free agency to fill needs. Now, if they feel the BPA is an offensive lineman, then by all means, take him. But they shouldn’t do it out of desperation. That’s how you get a Billy Price in the 1st round. If they have a player at another position ranked significantly higher than whoever the best tackle left on the board is at that time then the last thing I want them to do is settle. Not with a premium pick.

Again, let me reiterate that I’m totally down to go tackle if that’s who they want, but I’m also completely open to other positions.

I get the BPA approach but when we get to the pick and the BPA is a LT or a skill guy and they are pretty equal in talent, the team needs to stop with the get the toy and just get the damn OL prospect.

Reaching is bad, I agree but the last time we had this debate, it wasn't a reach and right now again it'd be nice to see some write ups on the team's biggest need for the past 7 years now, 10 years?

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 01:20 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I get the BPA approach but when we get to the pick and the BPA is a LT or a skill guy and they are pretty equal in talent, the team needs to stop with the get the toy and just get the damn OL prospect.

Reaching is bad, I agree but the last time we had this debate, it wasn't a reach and right now again it'd be nice to see some write ups on the team's biggest need for the past 7 years now, 10 years?

This isn’t about you being opposed to more “shiny new toys.” You were also just in the Joey Porter Jr thread arguing against a CB as well. You’re once again completely locked into one position. Which drastically reduces the draft board.

There’s also the fact that we have Jonah for one more season since they picked up his 5th year option. They’re not cutting him and eating $12.6 million. Have you even looked at the free agent LT’s hitting the market in 2024? I personally haven’t, but if there’s another Terron Armstead caliber pickup available that could be a better option than developing one anyway.

Now, if they feel like they won’t be able to afford any big splash players like that since they have to pay Burrow and Chase, and they’re definitely ready to move on from Jonah, then I could see next year’s draft being a bit of a have to focus on need type situation.

But Jonah Williams is this team’s LT for 2023. That much is clear for now.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 01:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This isn’t about you being opposed to more “shiny new toys.” You were also just in the Joey Porter Jr thread arguing against a CB as well. You’re once again completely locked into one position. Which drastically reduces the draft board.

There’s also the fact that we have Jonah for one more season since they picked up his 5th year option. They’re not cutting him and eating $12.6 million. Have you even looked at the free agent LT’s hitting the market in 2024? I personally haven’t, but if there’s another Terron Armstead caliber pickup available that could be a better option than developing one anyway.

Now, if they feel like they won’t be able to afford any big splash players like that since they have to pay Burrow and Chase, and they’re definitely ready to move on from Jonah, then I could see next year’s draft being a bit of a have to focus on need type situation.

But Jonah Williams is this team’s LT for 2023. That much is clear for now.

While I agree with your sentiment about not forcing a LT just because you want to. But if a prospect comes in and can improve the team, I don't think this staff would make the change.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 01:20 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I get the BPA approach but when we get to the pick and the BPA is a LT or a skill guy and they are pretty equal in talent, the team needs to stop with the get the toy and just get the damn OL prospect.

I would rather we pick up an OL prospect in FA that has been coached up and is somewhat successful at the NFL level..

Our teams ability to scout and Draft Top of the Line OL has been very bad lately.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 02:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

There was a time earlier in the year I definitely wanted an offensive weapon in Rd 1. But that was because I was hoping/expecting the OL would be solidified.
There's still half a season remaining, but I am starting to lean toward getting a new OL in Rd 1.
Jonah is declining from last year, and Collins is not what he was in DAL.
On top of that, Carman did not ascend like I thought he might, and I haven't been too impressed with Volson (yet) to think he's solidified the LG spot.
The left side especially has allowed quite a bit of total pressures (sacks+hits+hurries) through 9 games:
Williams - 27
Volson - 20

The team and some/most fans are probably more positive about Volson than I am, so I can see the Bengals wanting to continue rolling with him as the starter for at least another season.
As such, it probably makes the most sense to target an OT who could push Williams for starting reps at LT, or at least be groomed as rookie while Williams plays out his final year under contract.
If Williams ended up turning things around and is re-signed, the draft pick could also try RT, as Collins will only be under contract through 2024 and is going to be 30 years old next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 02:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I would rather we pick up an OL prospect in FA that has been coached up and is somewhat successful at the NFL level..

Our teams ability to scout and Draft Top of the Line OL has been very bad lately.

Sadly this team can't even do that correctly at this point.

Collins seemed like a no-brainer of a move. The entire board and Bengal fanbase rejoiced, but sadly he has regressed here.

Reply/Quote