Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TE - Michael Mayer
I'd have no problem with Mayer, but I'd wonder if the team is suddenly going to utilize the TE more. Hurst does seem like the exact kind of TE that Zac and Co want. I imagine they'll extend him and look for a blocking TE to replace Sample.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 02:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I would rather we pick up an OL prospect in FA that has been coached up and is somewhat successful at the NFL level..

Our teams ability to scout and Draft Top of the Line OL has been very bad lately.

This. Get proven vets for the OL rather than wasting picks on OL in the first round. More of a sure thing by a long shot.

A weapon is much more likely to make an immediate impact than a rookie first round pick on OL. Look at our history here.

(11-16-2022, 01:33 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sadly this team can't even do that correctly at this point.

Collins seemed like a no-brainer of a move. The entire board and Bengal fanbase rejoiced, but sadly he has regressed here.

Because of injury, he is coming around.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 02:00 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd have no problem with Mayer, but I'd wonder if the team is suddenly going to utilize the TE more. Hurst does seem like the exact kind of TE that Zac and Co want. I imagine they'll extend him and look for a blocking TE to replace Sample.

Probably correct Bengal Dude, but I would still prefer it if we drafted a TE that can be a weapon in the passing game too.

I want a versatile TE to backup Hurst for a couple years after we extend him.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably correct Bengal Dude, but I would still prefer it if we drafted a TE that can be a weapon in the passing game too.

I want a versatile TE to backup Hurst for a couple years after we extend him.

I don't see us going for an athletic TE unless we need help in the slot. As long as Boyd is here, the slot is taken care of. Even then, I see us drafting an eventual successor for Boyd.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:43 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't see us going for an athletic TE unless we need help in the slot. As long as Boyd is here, the slot is taken care of. Even then, I see us drafting an eventual successor for Boyd.

Boutte.

Keep them LSU boyzzzzz together.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 02:43 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't see us going for an athletic TE unless we need help in the slot. As long as Boyd is here, the slot is taken care of. Even then, I see us drafting an eventual successor for Boyd.

Makes sense, or a successor to Tee, or both. Cannot keep all these guys and WR's are easier to replace through the Draft
than other positions, as we have seen lately. Slot WR's are a lot easier to come by than big outside WR's that run crisp routes
with great hands. I would keep Tee if we can, might lose both though after next year unless we Tag one of them which is 
entirely possible. I do think we extend Hurst after this season.

Hayden has proven to be a natural Bengal.

Also Trenton Irwin hasn't been spoke about in this thread yet, but man Burrow and the team seem to just love the guy.

(11-21-2022, 03:08 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Boutte.

Keep them LSU boyzzzzz together.

How you pronounce that? lol
Reply/Quote
They call him Booty, but I'm 99% it's pronounced "boot." You could say, "bootay," too, but there's no accent on the e.

Great, GREAT slot receiver; also has middling stats this year because LSU's offense doesn't suit his playstyle anymore, unlike the spread that did the previous 2 seasons (which is a lot like our scheme).

The best/most-realistic replacement for Boyd, IMO.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 02:00 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd have no problem with Mayer, but I'd wonder if the team is suddenly going to utilize the TE more. Hurst does seem like the exact kind of TE that Zac and Co want. I imagine they'll extend him and look for a blocking TE to replace Sample.

Sure feels like they use the TEs just as much as the TEs are good. When AJ Green missed all of 2019 but they had both Eifert and Uzomah, Taylor/Callahan's offense threw at TEs 112 times. In 2020, they lose Eifert and add Higgins and they throw at TEs 72 times. If they had Travis Kelce in this offense, they'd probably throw at TEs 150 times.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 03:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: They call him Booty, but I'm 99% it's pronounced "boot." You could say, "bootay," too, but there's no accent on the e.

Great, GREAT slot receiver; also has middling stats this year because LSU's offense doesn't suit his playstyle anymore, unlike the spread that did the previous 2 seasons (which is a lot like our scheme).

The best/most-realistic replacement for Boyd, IMO.

Thanks Truck, sounds like the perfect WR to go after in the next draft. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I don't think we'll be getting Meyer or any top TE in the draft because we'll pick too late in round 1 for the talent.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2022, 01:18 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't think we'll be getting Meyer or any top TE in the draft because we'll pick too late in round 1 for the talent.

Trade up. 

Mayer is very worth it.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2022, 03:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Trade up. 

Mayer is very worth it.

Considering there are mocks with Mayer in top 10, that would be too expensive for my tastes when we can get an OL and WR for the same value along with not forgoing our future
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2022, 03:32 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Considering there are mocks with Mayer in top 10, that would be too expensive for my tastes when we can get an OL and WR for the same value along with not forgoing our future

Same, too spendy. Need to add skill players from the Draft and more than just 1 like Mayer in case Tee, Boyd and Mixon 
all leave which I find likely.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2022, 02:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same, too spendy. Need to add skill players from the Draft and more than just 1 like Mayer in case Tee, Boyd and Mixon 
all leave which I find likely.

I'm looking at maybe getting Edge then WR like Mims as a TB83 replacement. Maybe we go the route of late round RB (McBride from UAB after reading about him from BR as an anti-Mix [low treads, keeps balance with getting hit]) to cut Mixon salary. With Hursts love for the town/team, I'm hoping a hometown discount keeps him so we aren't pigeonholed into an early TE.

I have hopes CTB replaces Apple (or he comes back again at discount for depth) and then using draft correctly to restock leaving talents. Hill for Bates, CTB for Apple, rookie to backfill/give breather for Trey. One can hope.

Something like:
1. Foskey Edge ND
2. Mims WR OU
3. Duncan OT Maryland (needs technique work but has traits from what I can tell. Could be either OT replacement).
4. LaPorta TE Iowa
5. McBride RB UAB
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2022, 03:25 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I'm looking at maybe getting Edge then WR like Mims as a TB83 replacement. Maybe we go the route of late round RB (McBride from UAB after reading about him from BR as an anti-Mix [low treads, keeps balance with getting hit]) to cut Mixon salary. With Hursts love for the town/team, I'm hoping a hometown discount keeps him so we aren't pigeonholed into an early TE.

I have hopes CTB replaces Apple (or he comes back again at discount for depth) and then using draft correctly to restock leaving talents. Hill for Bates, CTB for Apple, rookie to backfill/give breather for Trey. One can hope.

Something like:
1. Foskey Edge ND
2. Mims WR OU
3. Duncan OT Maryland (needs technique work but has traits from what I can tell. Could be either OT replacement).
4. LaPorta TE Iowa
5. McBride RB UAB

Sounds great to me. Completely agree with all your thoughts WVUHomer. Plus Perine coming around and playing 
very well also helps in insuring good RB play along with adding McBride. Is Foskey a talented Edge? I haven't really
watched ND that much this year. I like what I have seen from quite a few Ends this season in college. There are 
some really good ones we can get around 32.

And yes, I think Hurst sticks around at a discount because he loves it here.
Reply/Quote
I think Bengals go CB round 1 but Mayer is one of those rare players that would take Bengals offense to next level. I do not think Bengals re-up Boyd after his contract is up. Mayer and Hurst, with Higgins, Chase would be devastating to opposing teams with a QB like Burrow.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 03:08 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Bengals go CB round 1 but Mayer is one of those rare players that would take Bengals offense to next level.  I do not think Bengals re-up Boyd after his contract is up.  Mayer and Hurst, with Higgins, Chase would be devastating to opposing teams with a QB like Burrow.

Yeah, but Mayer won't be there past the 10th pick and it would cost us big time to trade up for him.

I just think he is out of the question with us picking really late in the first.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 03:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, but Mayer won't be there past the 10th pick and it would cost us big time to trade up for him.

I just think he is out of the question with us picking really late in the first.

Mayer isn't Kyle Pitts.  He will go in the 1st but not in the top 10. Atlanta hasn't gotten top 6 pick production from Pitts and now he's on IR

The Athletic's 1st mock draft, with no trades and as the standings currently are,  has Mayer falling to 23rd.  Coincidentally, 23rd is the Bengals' current draft position.  

Another connection for Mayer, his cousin is catcher Luke Maile, who just signed a contract with the Reds

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: Mayer isn't Kyle Pitts.  He will go in the 1st but not in the top 10. Atlanta hasn't gotten top 6 pick production from Pitts and now he's on IR

The Athletic's 1st mock draft, with no trades and as the standings currently are,  has Mayer falling to 23rd.  Coincidentally, 23rd is the Bengals' current draft position.  

Another connection for Mayer, his cousin is catcher Luke Maile, who just signed a contract with the Reds

And he's a Bengals fan and Burrow is his favorite player. It will be interesting to see where he drops. Not saying he's a top 10 player but it will always depend just on who find him the most valuable.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 03:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, but Mayer won't be there past the 10th pick and it would cost us big time to trade up for him.

Still too early to say where players will go. Bengals had Eifert rated as the #8 player on their board in 2013 and never thought he'd drop to them. Crazy things happen in the draft.

Also, the Duke and Mike Potts pretty much said that the 2022 draft did not go the way they thought it would for the team. There were rumors from multiple media members that the Bengals were ready to take Trey McBride in the 2nd round and then the Cardinals snagged him.
Reply/Quote