Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TE - Michael Mayer
(11-30-2022, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: Mayer isn't Kyle Pitts.  He will go in the 1st but not in the top 10. Atlanta hasn't gotten top 6 pick production from Pitts and now he's on IR

The Athletic's 1st mock draft, with no trades and as the standings currently are,  has Mayer falling to 23rd.  Coincidentally, 23rd is the Bengals' current draft position.  

Another connection for Mayer, his cousin is catcher Luke Maile, who just signed a contract with the Reds

That’s their own fault, not an indictment of the quality of player Pitts is. That kid should literally sue the team for malpractice they misuse him so badly.

Not to mention Mariota is as mediocre as it gets.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 02:25 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Still too early to say where players will go. Bengals had Eifert rated as the #8 player on their board in 2013 and never thought he'd drop to them. Crazy things happen in the draft.

Also, the Duke and Mike Potts pretty much said that the 2022 draft did not go the way they thought it would for the team. There were rumors from multiple media members that the Bengals were ready to take Trey McBride in the 2nd round and then the Cardinals snagged him.

In hindsight, I'm betting they were happy he was gone. If not, we'd not have a rookie to play for the injured Chido.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: Mayer isn't Kyle Pitts.  He will go in the 1st but not in the top 10. Atlanta hasn't gotten top 6 pick production from Pitts and now he's on IR

The Athletic's 1st mock draft, with no trades and as the standings currently are,  has Mayer falling to 23rd.  Coincidentally, 23rd is the Bengals' current draft position.  

Another connection for Mayer, his cousin is catcher Luke Maile, who just signed a contract with the Reds

Eh, Pitts isn't used right in Atlanta. He should have ten times the production that he has had and Mariota isn't a good
throwing QB. You never know about the Draft though, you are correct Pally. I also think we will be picking later than 23. Wink

(12-01-2022, 10:24 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: And he's a Bengals fan and Burrow is his favorite player. It will be interesting to see where he drops. Not saying he's a top 10 player but it will always depend just on who find him the most valuable.

All true.

(12-02-2022, 02:25 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Still too early to say where players will go. Bengals had Eifert rated as the #8 player on their board in 2013 and never thought he'd drop to them. Crazy things happen in the draft.

Also, the Duke and Mike Potts pretty much said that the 2022 draft did not go the way they thought it would for the team. There were rumors from multiple media members that the Bengals were ready to take Trey McBride in the 2nd round and then the Cardinals snagged him.

True about how crazy the Draft can be, anything can happen. Didn't know that about McBride. Happy we traded up and 
got CTB though, especially now after seeing what kind of player he can be. Love his physicality and the way he tackles.

He drove Tannehill backwards on that one tackle against the Titans and I thought it wasn't a 1st down. 

That was impressive. Tannehill is a big QB and he had all the leverage and still CTB out fought him with his technique 
and strength. Looks like a big Corner too, so he might be able to play Safety in a pinch.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Pitts isn't used right in Atlanta. He should have ten times the production that he has had and Mariota isn't a good
throwing QB. You never know about the Draft though, you are correct Pally. I also think we will be picking later than 23. Wink

All true.

True about how crazy the Draft can be, anything can happen. Didn't know that about McBride. Happy we traded up and 
got CTB though, especially now after seeing what kind of player he can be. Love his physicality and the way he tackles.

He drove Tannehill backwards on that one tackle against the Titans and I thought it wasn't a 1st down. 

That was impressive. Tannehill is a big QB and he had all the leverage and still CTB out fought him with his technique 
and strength. Looks like a big Corner too, so he might be able to play Safety in a pinch.

Honestly Nate, look at Emmanuel Forbes. Could be another 2nd round steal in the DB room for us and may allow us to make Chido a little more expendable (I don't want to say that but with his level of play, he may be reaching top echelon of CB money and I'd rather keep Teegins more I think).
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 06:01 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Honestly Nate, look at Emmanuel Forbes. Could be another 2nd round steal in the DB room for us and may allow us to make Chido a little more expendable (I don't want to say that but with his level of play, he may be reaching top echelon of CB money and I'd rather keep Teegins more I think).

Haven't seen Forbes play yet, what team?
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 06:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haven't seen Forbes play yet, what team?

Miss St. #13

RB Trey Benson looks good from what I can tell as well. I think he may be a later pick (Day 3) as I don't think he's started much.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 06:21 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Miss St. #13

RB Trey Benson looks good from what I can tell as well. I think he may be a later pick (Day 3) as I don't think he's started much.

Cool will check out Forbes highlights. Can never have enough good Corners. I just think another End who can rush the 
passer might be who we are looking at in the first or a weapon on Offense. Depending on if Ossai or somebody comes 
along or if we extend one of Tee or Boyd. I think Hurst will be back, so TE won't be as much of a need.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2022, 06:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool will check out Forbes highlights. Can never have enough good Corners. I just think another End who can rush the 
passer might be who we are looking at in the first or a weapon on Offense. Depending on if Ossai or somebody comes 
along or if we extend one of Tee or Boyd. I think Hurst will be back, so TE won't be as much of a need.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah KSU (I don't think he's explosive enough but I'm not a scout)

BJ Ojulari LSU (May have a slight frame)

Andre Carter II Army (Low level of competition, Military commitment but he has good get off imo and good burst, plus has played in space) 

The above would likely take 1st/2nd.

Someone else a YT i watch really likes Isaiah McGuire and watching his tape against Arkansas i can kinda see why.
Reply/Quote
So, after some thought on this topic, Mayer may not be a choice I'd draft in rd 1 if we have the chance and it entirely has to do with Hurst.

With him feeling at home and openly getting over his depression regarding him constantly being overtaken by Superstar TEs, unless you spoke with him at length before making the selection, I'd go in another direction.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 01:17 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: So, after some thought on this topic, Mayer may not be a choice I'd draft in rd 1 if we have the chance and it entirely has to do with Hurst.

With him feeling at home and openly getting over his depression regarding him constantly being overtaken by Superstar TEs, unless you spoke with him at length before making the selection, I'd go in another direction.

It depends on if we re-sign Hurst. I don't doubt that both sides want to get a new deal done in the offseason, but it also takes just one team to screw things up. Seattle's deal with Dissly really messed up the TE market last year. I truly believe we would've re-signed CJ if that deal never happened. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
He's skipping the bowl game and declaring for the draft:

Quote:Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer told ESPN that he's declaring for the NFL draft. Mayer is the top prospect at his position, No. 8 overall on Mel Kiper's Big Board, and leaves Notre Dame as the most productive tight end in school history.

Mayer, a true junior, told ESPN that he'll be skipping the Gator Bowl against South Carolina.

He said that his decision to head to the draft after his third season at Notre Dame comes down to him being ready to be a pro, something he said he realized could happen during his freshman year.

"I've really enjoyed my experience at Notre Dame," Mayer told ESPN. "The first reason I picked Notre Dame was the NFL, it was on my mind a very, very long time. I saw a lot of good tight ends in in the NFL from Notre Dame. That was one of the main reasons I went there."

This year, he broke his own single-season touchdown record for tight ends at Notre Dame with nine touchdown catches, besting his prior mark of seven. He finished the year with 67 catches and 809 yards despite being Notre Dame's most obvious receiving threat.

"I wanted to come and win games be a first-round draft pick at tight end," Mayer said. "I set my sights on it, and that's what I've been working toward the last three years."

Mayer is the consensus top tight end in this draft, according to the rankings of all of ESPN's draft experts. ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller said that Mayer and Texas running back Bijan Robinson project as the two "safest" picks in this draft, as their skills so obviously translate up to the NFL and they both have great character and football IQ.

"He's a do-it-all guy," Miller said of Mayer. "I would never want to compare someone to Travis Kelce, but he's similar in that he's a great blocker, athletic enough to play in space and a very consistent wide receiver. He's just all-around solid. He's a three-down true in-line tight end who should be a top-10 pick."

Mayer got the nickname Baby Gronk as a Notre Dame freshman. At 6-foot-5 and 265 pounds, he cuts an imposing figure on the field. He said he studies Kelce more than Rob Gronkowski, as he said that he appreciates the nuance in Kelce's tactical route running.

"If I sit down and watch Travis Kelce tape, I learn 10 new things," he said. "There's a ton of things that he does in routes. I really pride myself on the route-running game."

Mayer entered Notre Dame as a top-100 recruit from Covington Catholic (Ky.) High School in 2020 and said he appreciated the older leaders on the team such as Ian Book for embracing him and teaching him how things worked at the school. He said he appreciated his high school coach, Eddie Eviston, and both of his Notre Dame position coaches, John McNulty and Gerad Parker, for helping him to reach his potential.

I only picked out parts of the article (not in order), but he's a great kid and an AMAZING TIGHT END!

We need to do what it takes to trade up to take him! Improve the line in free agency and trade draft picks if need-be because imagine teams trying to guard him, Chase, and Higgins! Burrow would put up historic numbers!
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 01:17 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: So, after some thought on this topic, Mayer may not be a choice I'd draft in rd 1 if we have the chance and it entirely has to do with Hurst.

You'd pass up Mayer if he fell to the Bengals because of Hurst's feelings? Hurst is a FA next season and will be 30 years old. Mayer's rookie contract likely lasts longer than Hurst's career has years left, probably even without the 5th year option included.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2022, 07:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You'd pass up Mayer if he fell to the Bengals because of Hurst's feelings? Hurst is a FA next season and will be 30 years old. Mayer's rookie contract likely lasts longer than Hurst's career has years left, probably even without the 5th year option included.

I definitely think we'd have to trade up regardless, but he'd be worth it. 

We're better off adding offensive linemen in the draft and Mayer would be Burrow's best friend against the pass rush anyways because (1) they'd have to double him with a backer and a safety, leaving less blitzes, and (2) he'd be a quick outlet if Burrow has to get rid of the ball quick.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 04:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I definitely think we'd have to trade up regardless, but he'd be worth it. 

We're better off adding offensive linemen in the draft and Mayer would be Burrow's best friend against the pass rush anyways because (1) they'd have to double him with a backer and a safety, leaving less blitzes, and (2) he'd be a quick outlet if Burrow has to get rid of the ball quick.

Oh yeah, I am all-in on team OL. I am just saying if the guy happens to fall down to the Bengals, you just change your plans a bit and take the superior talent. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2022, 07:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You'd pass up Mayer if he fell to the Bengals because of Hurst's feelings? Hurst is a FA next season and will be 30 years old. Mayer's rookie contract likely lasts longer than Hurst's career has years left, probably even without the 5th year option included.

Key statement is if we resigned Hurst. 

You'd have to be kidding yourself if he didn't think it was just a matter of time before he's supplanted by the rook, adding stress to a person who has already talked about the personal demons. That in turn could have an adverse effect on his other teammates if the team is a tight-knit as we all think (them trying to take notice to ensure Hurst's demons don't overtake him).

Again, I'd be for him if he's bona-fide the best player on the board but I'd have reservations because:
a. Hurst and how he's integrated into the team.
   -This could be alleviated if the coaching staff talks with him about the situation (ala don't pull a Packers with Love and surprise the kid) and the coaching staff integrates more 12 personnel instead of exclusively being a 11 personnel O
b. Other talents at other positions of need (be it poor talent, needing to get cheaper at a position, etc.) with same talent levels are available.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 08:11 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: 0e6f8557011c0d1a4dcd5d4cde524990.gif]

[Image: dd286954c12f7d67e9a5378a4309f2c4.gif]

Reply/Quote
I went down to my high school's basketball game last night and they took me and my friend with me up to some area overlooking the court because they said we'd be able to see better.

They open the door to the ledge and sitting there is Michael and his brother, AJ!

[Image: 319630730_456677413135020_48177757971203...e=639FFAEB]

I obviously didn't talk about the draft or anything for football besides for AJ saying that he had a few injuries, so he wasn't going to play at Arkansas State (pretty sure it was AS) in his last year of eligibility.

They're a great family and it only strengthened my desire to trade up to draft him!
Reply/Quote
That is just epic Brad lol

I hope Michael falls some for some odd reason and we trade up for him from 32. Wink
Reply/Quote
I get the hype and love for this guy, but I just don't seem him making to the Bengals pick at all. I see the occasional mock where he's in the 20+ range of the first round, but I speculate after the combine and pre-draft interviews this dude gets picked in the 10 to 15 range.

Joey B. isn't letting us pick in the top 15.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 10:07 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I get the hype and love for this guy, but I just don't seem him making to the Bengals pick at all. I see the occasional mock where he's in the 20+ range of the first round, but I speculate after the combine and pre-draft interviews this dude gets picked in the 10 to 15 range.

Joey B. isn't letting us pick in the top 15.

I've seen top 10 before. I've all but given up on the idea which is why I tried to make reasons why we shouldn't  Hilarious
Reply/Quote