Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TE coach James Casey working McBride

This guy could be Joe's Gronk for the next decade.

Hear me out... the next couple of years we run 12 Personnel (double TE's, 2 WR, 1 RB)

We have great blocking in case we want to run Mixon, we can keep both TE's for max protect, release either TE, or both, on passing plays.

This guy is very good.

Question is do we sacrifice CB early to pull this trigger?

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote:

Hear me out... the next couple of years we run 12 Personnel (double TE's, 2 WR, 1 RB)

We have great blocking in case we want to run Mixon, we can keep both TE's for max protect, release either TE, or both, on passing plays.

This guy is very good.  

No.

He may be the top TE -- and Casey should certainly know after getting up close and personal -- but I doubt he is first-round good.

Take the CB at 31.  Trade up in the second (yes, Bengals, this is allowed) if you want him that badly.  Or wait and take Dulcich, Likely, or whomever.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:22 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: No.

He may be the top TE -- and Casey should certainly know after getting up close and personal -- but I doubt he is first-round good.

Take the CB at 31.  Trade up in the second (yes, Bengals, this is allowed) if you want him that badly.  Or wait and take Dulcich, McBride, or whomever.

I would prefer a trade back, but McBride will be gone by 63.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I would prefer a trade back, but McBride will be gone by 63.

Either a trade back to 2 or up in 2. Bengals can’t stay out if they have McBride as a target
Reply/Quote
McBride is intriguing. It would be an interesting pick especially since at Hurst's press conference he seemed confident with his trust that Zac was giving him the starting job. Of course, there isn't any reason why two TEs can't be on the field.

There is no way McBride makes it to us in round 2, right? Hell, I'd not be shocked to see the Pats take this dude in round one and surprise all the so called experts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This guy could be Joe's Gronk for the next decade.

Gronk was about 3" taller and 20 lbs heavier. McB. would be more like JB's Zach Ertz and that's not a bad thing. I see Kolar closer to a Gronk comp. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote:

This guy is very good.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/08/rams-bengals-sean-mcvay-zac-taylor-offensive-tendencies/

That isn’t Taylor’s offense. That isn’t the offense Burrow operated at LSU. I don’t think you change the entire offensive scheme that just took them to the Super Bowl for a TE that doesn’t even have a first round grade and has yet to take a meaningful NFL snap.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 12:04 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/08/rams-bengals-sean-mcvay-zac-taylor-offensive-tendencies/

That isn’t Taylor’s offense. That isn’t the offense Burrow operated at LSU. I don’t think you change the entire offensive scheme that just took them to the Super Bowl for a TE that doesn’t even have a first round grade and has yet to take a meaningful NFL snap.

Why does the entire offense have to change because of the TE?  This is quite a bit of speculation on your part. Are you suggesting we didnt run any 12 Personnel this year? Are you suggesting Zac would not like to have 2 pass catching TE's...? McBride would be the future TE but while Hayden is still here it would be a luxury.

We may not draft the guy, but I can tell you that they really like him, but hell every team does, as does any average fan who has seen the guy and read up on him.

Reply/Quote
If we're going to compare McBride to anybody I think Gates is the one. They're both 6'4, and ran similar 40 times. Still a really good comp, and if McBride can be to Burrow what Gates was to Rivers for over a decade then that's good value at the end of the 1st.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 12:40 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: If we're going to compare McBride to anybody I think Gates is the one. They're both 6'4, and ran similar 40 times. Still a really good comp, and if McBride can be to Burrow what Gates was to Rivers for over a decade then that's good value at the end of the 1st.

The analogy was more along the lines of a longterm relationship like Brady-Gronk have had - I agree, lol, if McBride could produce like Gates that would be very much acceptable.

Reply/Quote
He could make it to us in round 2. Never know. I do not think we will move around. We normally don't. I like that he can do it all but he is not worth taking at 31.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 12:51 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The analogy was more along the lines of a longterm relationship like Brady-Gronk have had - I agree, lol, if McBride could produce like Gates that would be very much acceptable.

Most of the best TE of this era had/have a strong, long-term relationship with their QB. Gronk and Brady, Gates and Rivers, Kelce and Mahomes, Witten and Romo, the list goes on. Another thing to keep in mind- With WR contracts going up, it may be difficult to keep both Chase and Higgins. One way to replace some of those targets is to incorporate the TE into the game plan more and give him more targets. Obviously that's a bridge to cross another offseason but food for thought.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
As we all know, the draft is a complete crapshoot. McBride could easily drop, like a lot of prospects, to us in the 2nd round. I could see us pulling the trigger on him at 63. Hurst could still be the primary TE for us this season and use it to get a decent deal from another team next season. Then you have McBride take over TE duties.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gronk was about 3" taller and 20 lbs heavier. McB. would be more like JB's Zach Ertz and that's not a bad thing. I see Kolar closer to a Gronk comp. 

I believe Kolar will end up being the best TE in this class!
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gronk was about 3" taller and 20 lbs heavier. McB. would be more like JB's Zach Ertz and that's not a bad thing. I see Kolar closer to a Gronk comp. 

Is he a TE? Is he white? Then he's Gronk 2.0/Baby Gronk.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
McBride excels running the typical TE routes we used to see 10 years ago when Under-center PA was still a thing. Hurst is more of an H-back.

He’s been my guy since day one but I understand we have defensive needs, but that combo could be deadly - Burrow likes a modularized run n’ gun concept with advanced routes.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 01:00 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: He could make it to us in round 2. Never know. I do not think we will move around. We normally don't. I like that he can do it all but he is not worth taking at 31.

I doubt he is there at 63 and I'd probably only like it on a move back.  

Reply/Quote
also rumored to be looking at Grant Calcaterra.

#SMU and former #Oklahoma TE Grant Calcaterra has met with a plethora of teams either formally at the combine, virtually via Zoom, and has top-30 visits coming up. He's consistently heard from #Broncos, #Titans, #Colts, #Bengals and #Cowboys.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 01:02 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Most of the best TE of this era had/have a strong, long-term relationship with their QB. Gronk and Brady, Gates and Rivers, Kelce and Mahomes, Witten and Romo, the list goes on. Another thing to keep in mind- With WR contracts going up, it may be difficult to keep both Chase and Higgins. One way to replace some of those targets is to incorporate the TE into the game plan more and give him more targets. Obviously that's a bridge to cross another offseason but food for thought.

Excellent take.

Reply/Quote