Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TE coach James Casey working McBride
(03-31-2022, 01:02 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Most of the best TE of this era had/have a strong, long-term relationship with their QB. Gronk and Brady, Gates and Rivers, Kelce and Mahomes, Witten and Romo, the list goes on. Another thing to keep in mind- With WR contracts going up, it may be difficult to keep both Chase and Higgins. One way to replace some of those targets is to incorporate the TE into the game plan more and give him more targets. Obviously that's a bridge to cross another offseason but food for thought.

All great points. Would be all for McBride for these very reasons and the fact that Hurst is only on a one year deal.

This Draft is deep at Corner. If we can trade back out of the first grab McBride while adding picks and add a CB and DT next...

Heck yeah. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All great points. Would be all for McBride for these very reasons and the fact that Hurst is only on a one year deal.

This Draft is deep at Corner. If we can trade back out of the first grab McBride while adding picks and add a CB and DT next...

Heck yeah. Cool

I'd think opportunity exists to trade back. Teams might want to jump ahead of the Lions at 32 and snag a QB with the Bengals 31st pick. If the second round nets us McBride and a CB, that might be a solid win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My dream scenario- Seahawks miss out on Baker, Niners refuse to deal Jimmy in-division, then they take a non-QB at 9. Then, they give us 40 and 41 to get a QB they like at 31, and then we draft McBride, Chad Muma, and Coby Bryant with the 3 second rounders. Highly unlikely but let me dream for a minute or two.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 01:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I believe Kolar will end up being the best TE in this class!

He's a fine fav. Something I recently discovered about CK that I was not aware of:

He graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.99 GPA and is currently studying Finance in the Graduate Program. Dude is mega smart
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 02:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is he a TE? Is he white? Then he's Gronk 2.0/Baby Gronk.

Ninja
I think Antonio Gates is the best comp for McBride, as I previously said, but everybody uses Gronk as a comp because “reasons”. Ninja
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
Just hindsight, we had a chance to draft Gronk in 2010. We drafted TE Jermaine Gresham in round 1 while the patriots snagged Gronk in round 2. The knock on Gronk was that he had back issues..... or maybe because he came from Univ. Arizona (party central). What a difference between the careers of both these players.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 12:32 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Why does the entire offense have to change because of the TE? 

Good question. It’s exactly my point.

Quote:This is quite a bit of speculation on your part. Are you suggesting we didnt run any 12 Personnel this year? Are you suggesting Zac would not like to have 2 pass catching TE's...? McBride would be the future TE but while Hayden is still here it would be a luxury.

We may not draft the guy, but I can tell you that they really like him, but hell every team does, as does any average fan who has seen the guy and read up on him.

Did I write the Bengals don’t use 12 personnel? No.

The Bengals have run 11 personnel more than any other team in the NFL two out of three years under Taylor. The one year they didn’t lead the league in 11 personnel, they finished second. That means Taylor has used 11 personnel more than any other HC during the past three seasons.

11 personnel 76% of offensive snaps (NFL rank 1st)
12 personnel 18%

11 personnel 76% (1st)
12 personnel 15%

11 personnel 77% (2nd)
12 personnel 15%

Those are statistics based upon what actually happened. Not speculation. Taylor runs 11 personnel 5x more than 12 personnel. That is a significant difference.

Taylor’s offense is based upon 11 personnel offensive group. Suggesting they switch from 11 to 12 based upon drafting one TE is conjecture without evidence; the very definition of speculation.

So why would those numbers flip flop because of one TE? As much as you can tell me you know they like him, I don’t think a TE from this draft will change Taylor’s offensive philosophy, a three year precedent in Cincinnati, and increase his use of 12 personnel by over 60% in a single season.
Reply/Quote
Re Gronkowski in the 2010 draft, Mike Brown has stated that his back was the issue in passing on him and choosing Gresham.

One thing to keep in mind with the Bengals and tight ends -- they have never utilized the concept of a "move" tight end. Unless they change their philosophy (hell, we're apparently getting a practice dome, anything's possible) any tight end they consider is going to have to be at least adequate as a blocker. McBride seems to be a decent blocker. Likely is more of a wide receiver/tight end hybrid. Dulcich maybe with the most upside. Depends on what they want.
Reply/Quote
McBride seems like a luxury more than a need this year with the addition of Hurst. I would not complain one bit, I just hope someone good at CB falls to us in the 2nd.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 10:15 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: McBride seems like a luxury more than a need this year with the addition of Hurst. I would not complain one bit, I just hope someone good at CB falls to us in the 2nd.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but going from Hurst to Sample is a mighty steep drop. If they are eyeing McBride as a major piece in the draft they find a trade partner either moving out of the first or trading up in the 2nd. He sould be a really good player to get for this offense.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 12:29 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’m not saying you’re wrong, but going from Hurst to Sample is a mighty steep drop. If they are eyeing McBride as a major piece in the draft they  find a trade partner either moving out of the first or trading up in the 2nd. He sould be a really good player to get for this offense.

Same way I am thinking plus Hurst is only on a one year deal and I bet he has his best year in the NFL so far with Burrow.

Hurst could be expensive to retain if this is the case.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 05:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same way I am thinking plus Hurst is only on a one year deal and I bet he has his best year in the NFL so far with Burrow.

Hurst could be expensive to retain if this is the case.

Yep and then he'll get 7-10 mill a year.
Reply/Quote