Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE GAME... what should NOT happen.
(01-03-2023, 01:12 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: If was early in the year and we still had a bye week, then I’d agree, but there simply isn’t enough time.  What we play Thursday night and play the Ravens Monday?  

I agree with the above poster, and sorry if sounding harsh, but after the injured player was driven off to UC hospital, then the game should have resumed.  Million of dollars, people taking off work to travel, buying hotels.  The Show Must Go On!

I also felt bad for the 10-year old boy and his father who drove all the way from Lincoln, Nebraska.  The Bengals are the 10-yr olds favorite team and this was his first NFL game, and it’s a shame they’re driving half way across the country to have this experience..

Agree. Play the gdamn game --- this week , next week, or the next. 
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I disagree 100% with this. Those players literally just watched one of their teammates and friend legally die on the field and had to have been brought back to life. No way I am in any shape to play football 10 minutes later. 

Postponing the game was the right call. They still need to finish it, though. 

Last year, in the premier league soccer championship this same happened, and the game went on.  I have also seen this happen in the NHL.  A Columbus Bluejacket player received a hard check and went to cardiac attest on the bench. After they got him stabilized the game went on. After he was stabilized, he asked the team doctor if he could make it back to play in the 3-period.

The Show must go on.
Reply/Quote
If this were two teams at 3 or 4 wins, the NFL would just call it a no contest I think. But pretending a game of this magnitude didnt tale place in the standings isnt all that plausible because of the issues it creates.
Reply/Quote
What are the so-called "talking heads" on TV saying should be done about the game? Are they advocating for a "tie" ?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:28 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Last year, in the premier league soccer championship this same happened, and the game went on.  I also seen this happen in the NHL.  A Columbus Bluejacket player received a hard check and went to cardiac attest on the bench. After they got him to the hospital,  the game went on. After he was stabilized, he asked he doctors if he could make it back to play in the 3-period.

The Show must go on.

Which game is that? 

The other games I've seen a player have a cardiac arrest in the middle of were Denmark v Finland in Euro 2021, where Christian Eriksen had a heart attack. You might be referring to this one? The game was stopped for a few hours and they made the decision to finish it that same day. The match bore no relation to a European Championships match when it resumed, was clearly the wrong call. UEFA were largely derided for this call.

The other was when Fabrice Muamba collapsed in a game between Tottenham Hotspur and Bolton Wanderers in 2012. His heart stopped for 78 minutes I believe it was, the game was abandoned and replayed 10 days later. I don't believe either team played within that 10 day period, but I could be wrong. In any case, the decision to play it again another time was well received.

There obviously are lines to be drawn somewhere, but I definitely think you just stop a game in any sport if a player is suffering a cardiac arrest.
Reply/Quote
I say Buffalo and Cincinnati play This game this weekend then move Week 18 up another week.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:28 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Last year, in the premier league soccer championship this same happened, and the game went on.  I also seen this happen in the NHL.  A Columbus Bluejacket player received a hard check and went to cardiac attest on the bench. After they got him to the hospital,  the game went on. After he was stabilized, he asked he doctors if he could make it back to play in the 3-period.

The Show must go on.

It was a CBJ game but i think it was a Dallas Stars player.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote

The Show must go on.

Alright man. The show must go on, we get it. 

Imagine your co worker and friend going into cardiac arrest today at work. They take him to the hospital on a breathing machine - you don't know if he's dead or alive...then your boss makes you go back to your desk and work the rest of the day. The show must go on. 

There was nothing wrong with postponing the game last night. What happened was unprecedented in the NFL. The case in the NHL you are talking about the guy was resuscitated and brought back to consciousness right then and there - he wasn't wheeled off to the hospital on a breathing machine - there's a difference.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:36 PM)Science Friction Wrote: What are the so-called "talking heads" on TV saying should be done about the game?  Are they advocating for a "tie" ?

The same ones advocating for a no contest or a tie are from the cancel culture participation trophy crowd. 
Of course everyone's thoughts are with Hamlin. But deciding what to do about this game does not affect what happens to Hamlin. Continuing this game where it stopped is not insensitive or inconsiderate. 

The outcome of this game effects the rest of the regular season, playoffs and seeding, scheduling, the SB, Vegas, Fantasy football, etc, etc. 

I don't see how they don't finish the game at some point. Way too much at stake here. Unless BUF opts to forfeit.

No matter what they decide, someone is not going to like it. I don't particularly care for letting the WIN % be the deciding factor either. IMHO, a tie or no contest is the worst option. 

If we beat BUF and BAL, we have a shot at the #1 seed. LV played the best defense in SF really well and could possibly beat KC in Wk18.
And if not, finishing the season with 2 wins gives us the #2 seed. Which is much better than the #3.

Tiger
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Alright man. The show must go on, we get it. 

Imagine your co worker and friend going into cardiac arrest today at work. They take him to the hospital on a breathing machine - you don't know if he's dead or alive...then your boss makes you go back to your desk and work the rest of the day. The show must go on. 

There was nothing wrong with postponing the game last night. What happened was unprecedented in the NFL.  

I heard they are talking about rescheduling within the next 2 days on this site.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/nfl/bills-insider-claims-roger-goodell-likely-reschedule-bills-vs-bengals-game-within-next-2-days
Reply/Quote
Just throwing this out there, as of 7am this morning, all of the ESPN broadcast trucks, and equipment were still in place at the stadium!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Alright man. The show must go on, we get it. 

Depending on the company, there is a good chance that would happen. I’m not in anyway opposed to them stopping because in this field they can and assess what is best to move forward, but most jobs you would likely resume work especially in things like a factory. Not saying it’s right though.
Reply/Quote
Something tells me we might see a Thursday night game(and a shitload of prayer meetings, no doubt).
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
The game cannot be decided subjectively, if there was less than a minute left in the game and apart by more than 2 scores, possibly. but the game needs to be played out, extending the schedule is the only best ideal and fair solution. Would the players want to play it again? Who knows. I don't even know if either team will be motivated to play "as they can" the remainder of the season. This is in mind if his condition stays the same, I can only think it will be impossile if his condition goes the other direction with a tragic ending.
Reply/Quote

There was nothing wrong with postponing the game last night. What happened was unprecedented in the NFL. The case in the NHL you are talking about the guy was resuscitated and brought back to consciousness right then and there - he wasn't wheeled off to the hospital on a breathing machine - there's a difference.

So what if Hamblin is still in critical condition this Thursday or even Sunday?  Would you expect the NFL to postpone the Bill/Patriots game?  God forbid the young man doesn't make it, do we cancel the playoffs?
Reply/Quote

DOn't have to imagine it, that crap happened to me on more than one occasion. Only difference was my desk was a Crown Victoria
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:13 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: So what if Hamblin is still in critical condition this Thursday or even Sunday?  Would you expect the NFL to postpone the Bill/Patriots game?  God forbid the young man doesn't make it, do we cancel the playoffs?

Exactly. Bills have to put their big boy pants on and play football. World keeps turning... Harsh , but realistic.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 01:44 PM)cinci4life Wrote: It was a CBJ game but i think it was a Dallas Stars player.

You're correct, I just remember it happened at a Bluejackets game.  Also, it was the team doctor that resuscitated the player on the bench and provided him care in the locker room, to have the player object to going to the hospital b/c he wanted to get back into the game. Nonetheless, it was still cardiac arrest from a body check, but the game continued on.

Those hockey players are some tough SOBs. 
Reply/Quote
I think baseball is closest analogy.

Best option: Call it a rain out before the 5th. Count the stats but not the game. Bills/Bengals in 16 game seasons. Any kind of contract bonuses/etc get pro-rated down to 16 games.

Bengals win the division but are locked into the #3 seed. Bills would need the Chiefs to lose for #1.

Next best: Tennis.

Call it an injury retirement. Bengals win. But don't replay it. The problem here is that the NFL has already said THEY called the game (even if I doubt that), so they cannot put it back on the teams now. Now, if Cincy is ready to play today/Wed and Buffalo is not? Then that just feels like a dirty win. But I am OK with that. Now, if BOTH teams decide they cannot play, then no contest/tie is a fair result.

I just think playing the game, for bith teams, is more detrimental to their playoff chances than taking the loss.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 02:07 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I don't even know if either team will be motivated to play "as they can" the remainder of the season. 

These guys are professional football players, and they've played football for most of their lives.  What happened, while tragic, will have minimal effect on their ability to play... lessening with each passing day, I'm guessing.
Reply/Quote