Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE Offseason Roster Question to Ask
Defens- Atkins, Dunlap, Lawson, Hubbard, Billings, Jackson, Dennard, and Bates
Offense- Glenn, Williams, Green, Boyd, Ross, and Mixon
Those are the guys that I think would be starters/Main contributors on a playoff team who are on the current roster.
Needs on D
Hawk/joker LB, SS, WLB, MLB
Needs on offense besides QB- RT, LG, and depth at WR.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 07:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's a great plan, but we all know that they aren't going to bring in anyone that requires tier 1 or tier 2 money.

Since its the Bengals, I wouldn't let Dre, Green or Glenn go because they won't replace those guys with anyone expect a garbage pile free agent or a low draft pick.  Might as well keep them.

Could be right, sucks though.

(01-24-2020, 09:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Jamie Collins and Karl Joseph both of them are Mike Brown type Free Agents and would be great additions to the defense.

Would be really happy with this Free Agency, then draft Burrow and a RT like Bechton in the 2nd round.

Then add weapons for Burrow.

(01-24-2020, 11:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know that the Bengals need to bring in TWO free agent LBs.  Once Brown was released, it seemed like Germaine Pratt's development curve took a strong upward curve, and Vigil seemed to just relax and make more plays.  I could see bringing in ONE quality free agent LB, as the Bengals are in a base set less than half of the time.  However, which LB to pick is something that must be studied upon, as he must be a guy that is going to be a not only a good athlete, but a good fit with the team, the scheme, and with the Bengals defensive study room.

Personally, I think a player like Danny Trevethon fits exactly what the Bengals need.  He's strong against the run, he can cover, he's good at executing the blitz.  But, his best attribute might be his leadership instincts.  That is something that the Bengals LB corps desperately needs right now, someone to both help Pratt get to the next level in his game, as well as help Vigil maximize his contributions on the field.

Sure, you can go with the hottest stat guys out there, pay them big money, and still not have things work out, because not everyone is a good fit on every team.  Look at Cleveland, they did a great job of putting together a collection of talented players, but they didn't meld into a cohesive team and live up to anyone's expectations of them.

Yeah, would like Trevathan as well. Pratt I have very high hopes for and Vigil did play well later on in the season once he got healthy. Any mixture of Trevathan and Karl Joseph or Jamie Collins and Joseph or Littleton and Joseph I would be very happy with.

The Defense would be much better I am sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Given the draft class this year it seems the best path is to use Free Agency to fix the defense and the draft to restock the offense.

Given all of our recent failures drafting linemen (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, etc), I'd feel more confident if we went the FA route for at least one solid lineman. There are several good linemen set to hit the market.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
A good list of upcoming free agents:

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Given all of our recent failures drafting linemen (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, etc), I'd feel more confident if we went the FA route for at least one solid lineman. There are several good linemen set to hit the market.

I remember someone on here saying we were interested in Scherff.

Think this would be an excellent pick up.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Given all of our recent failures drafting linemen (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, etc), I'd feel more confident if we went the FA route for at least one solid lineman. There are several good linemen set to hit the market.

I keep bringing this up but I believe it would be a great route to go..

I know everyone wants Jack Conklin but I believe Steelers RT Matt Feiler had a better year. Feiler is a RFA so they would have to outbid the Steelers for him but they don't have as much Cap space to work with so the Bengals could steal him from the Steelers or force them to spend more than they really can to keep him. Either way you hurt a division rival.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Just say F it and back a truckload of money to Scherff, Conklin, Littleton, and Schobert.

Bengals will have more money than they can spend once Dalton/Kirkpatrick/Glenn are off the books and I don't think there will be any ability to roll over salary cap space again. So it's time to stop F'ing around and fix the team. I don't trust this team to draft OL or LB (or much of anything, honestly) so being able to just plug in 2 high quality OL and 2 high quality LB would do wonders for this team.

- - - - - - 

...that said, there's a whole lot of talk about "not leaving their comfort zone" and "finding the right smart pieces that fit" that gives me zero confidence that the Bengals will do anything meaningful in FA or make any changes needed to not be last in the division again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 04:42 PM)Synric Wrote: I keep bringing this up but I believe it would be a great route to go..

I know everyone wants Jack Conklin but I believe Steelers RT Matt Feiler had a better year. Feiler is a RFA so they would have to outbid the Steelers for him but they don't have as much Cap space to work with so the Bengals could steal him from the Steelers or force them to spend more than they really can to keep him. Either way you hurt a division rival.

Worth a shot, but it seems far more aggressive than something the Bengals would typically do.

(01-25-2020, 05:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just say F it and back a truckload of money to Scherff, Conklin, Littleton, and Schobert.

Bengals will have more money than they can spend once Dalton/Kirkpatrick/Glenn are off the books and I don't think there will be any ability to roll over salary cap space again. So it's time to stop F'ing around and fix the team. I don't trust this team to draft OL or LB (or much of anything, honestly) so being able to just plug in 2 high quality OL and 2 high quality LB would do wonders for this team.

- - - - - - 

...that said, there's a whole lot of talk about "not leaving their comfort zone" and "finding the right smart pieces that fit" that gives me zero confidence that the Bengals will do anything meaningful in FA or make any changes needed to not be last in the division again.

No doubt we have enough money to back up the Brink's truck, but we all know a lower tier free agent is more likely. Maybe Scherff is possible if his recent injuries drive his price down? I think a Travelle Wharton caliber free agent is possible, but you know we aren't getting any player who has real competition for his services.

I'm just hoping that Mike doesn't look at Jonah coming back and getting Burrow as "enough", but I know in his mind it might be. He always seems to settle rather than be anything remotely close to aggressive. My main hope is that with so much money freeing up (Dalton/Kirkpatrick/Glenn, etc), it might prompt them to do some spending. At least more than the last couple years.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You don't even have to stick with just the top two. How many Bengals would start for the Saints, Seahawks, Ravens, Texans, Vikings ? Not many

Like Nate and others have said trade Dalton. Trade or cut Kirkpatrick and Glenn even Hart if able ? It's not gonna bother me if they move on from Vigil, I feel he's a rotate in backup kinda guy.

But they need to face up to the fact we're not that good and embrace the rebuild. Get a top shelf free agent or two.

If you rebuild you dont do top end FAs that is a waste.. you stock up draft and look for a FA 2nd contract tier  guy with potential 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Trade Dalton, do not tag Green, let Kirkpatrick and Glenn's salary go. Right there is 45+ million to spend. Bring in Thuney, Whit and Amari Cooper on Offense to ensure that Burrow will have a shot this season. Bring in a LB like Jamie Collins for the Defense. I can dream.

Of our own guys, bring back Dennard, Billings, Mixon and Vigil.

BTW, Geno would start for either of those teams even if he wasn't all that great this last season. Dunlap and Hubbard would be in 
a rotation. Boyd would probably start, Mixon and a healthy Green would definitely start. WJ3 and Bates maybe.

Damn u immediately lost me when u said re sign vigil. I’m out
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Given the draft class this year it seems the best path is to use Free Agency to fix the defense and the draft to restock the offense.

Would it be better to surround Burrow with veteran talent? Especially since jonah will be a rookie.
Build the D through the draft.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Big money FAs? Just who do ya think is gonna pay for those first class accommodations on those Swiss skiing trips then? I mean, GOD forbid the Brown family stay at any sort of affordable hotels along the way! They might get bed bugs and THEN WHAT? Shocked Shocked Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 10:25 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Damn u immediately lost me when u said re sign vigil.  I’m out

We need to have some LB's man. I remember back in the day when Geathers had to start playing Linebacker cause we had none.

Vigil played good at the end of the year once he got healthy. FACT.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Trade Dalton, do not tag Green, let Kirkpatrick and Glenn's salary go. Right there is 45+ million to spend. Bring in Thuney, Whit and Amari Cooper on Offense to ensure that Burrow will have a shot this season. Bring in a LB like Jamie Collins for the Defense. I can dream.

Of our own guys, bring back Dennard, Billings, Mixon and Vigil.

BTW, Geno would start for either of those teams even if he wasn't all that great this last season. Dunlap and Hubbard would be in 
a rotation. Boyd would probably start, Mixon and a healthy Green would definitely start. WJ3 and Bates maybe.

With you everywhere but Amari Cooper...dude disappears too long for me.  I would rather get draft capital for Dre, Dalton, Glenn, and maybe even Green (for the right deal) and draft young, affordable players...but the rest:  Whit, Thuney, and maybe a LB that can range sideline to sideline would make this team contend overnight. 

People love to crap on this team and talk about how far they are but remember the impact of what a young Burfict had on this defense.  How much Eifert added to the offense when AJ, Marvin Jones Jr, and Sanu were out there.   Heck, they even had Gio catch 50 balls that year.  So many options.  

If they make the FA moves to beef up the line, get another burner WR to push/replace Green, and improve the LB position, the team can be very strong right away.  I know, I know...everyone will say those things will never happen and you are probably right, but I am going to be optimistic until the FA and Draft passes before I assume another losing season. 
Reply/Quote
The question to ask is whether the team or not will be active enough in free agency to fill the voids and put the team in a better place to compete in 2020? That is the question to ask.
Reply/Quote

Exactly how I would do it.
Defensive players that play in the same scheme from another team don't take long to adjust.
Offensive Linemen usually do, because they need to learn how the person on each side of them and the QB play as well.  Not to say we should not grab a good a FA OL, but better to use draft and let them grow together.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 10:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you everywhere but Amari Cooper...dude disappears too long for me.  I would rather get draft capital for Dre, Dalton, Glenn, and maybe even Green (for the right deal) and draft young, affordable players...but the rest:  Whit, Thuney, and maybe a LB that can range sideline to sideline would make this team contend overnight. 

People love to crap on this team and talk about how far they are but remember the impact of what a young Burfict had on this defense.  How much Eifert added to the offense when AJ, Marvin Jones Jr, and Sanu were out there.   Heck, they even had Gio catch 50 balls that year.  So many options.  

If they make the FA moves to beef up the line, get another burner WR to push/replace Green, and improve the LB position, the team can be very strong right away.  I know, I know...everyone will say those things will never happen and you are probably right, but I am going to be optimistic until the FA and Draft passes before I assume another losing season. 

Yeah, the only reason I listed Cooper was this would be IF we wanted to pay for a veteran talented WR, he would be a better 
option then paying 18 mil for one season for AJ who has been injured all the time. Cooper is younger and has been healthy.

But, sure, it is a great Draft for WR's, draft one or two.

Fix the O-line and the LB's and this team will contend, ignore these positions and we probably will not even with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
"Can it be proven that Bungles Football caused my anal warts?"
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 03:44 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: "Can it be proven that Bungles Football caused my anal warts?"

Those can spread via physical contact. You might want to be careful about what other body parts you touch or you might have some ‘splainin to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Re-sign: AJ, Dennard, Eifert, Vigil, Billings, Tupou, Mcrae, Fej, Cethan Carter, Redmond

Outside FA: Linebacker honestly looks pretty weak in FA and the draft, but FA is our best bet maybe? Or a trade: Dalton for a linebacker?
I see a lot of the guys on the upcoming free agents list re-signing with their teams, but we can possibly nab a B Linebacker in FA.
The other position I would look towards is offensive guard but there isn't a lot available.
We could look at an upgrade along the defensive line here, as there are a lot of players hitting FA, but maybe we'd rather develop our own.
I see TE Ebron is available too, maybe he is an upgrade over Eifert--probably re-signs with the Colts though (or signs elsewhere like the Pats)

Draft: Burrow to start
I could see us nabbing a WR in 2-4 as the draft is filled with them.
LB is not a strength, if we could grab a guy similar to Pratt this year that would be nice, but I'm not counting on it happening. Still have to draft
someone (reaching won't get you anywhere though)
Could we see a defensive line prospect fall to us in round 2?
I could see us grabbing a CB in the high middle rounds too.
Successful Draft: draft Burrow and hit on 3 other picks: 2nd-3rd round Guard, WR, CB/Defensive line/Linebacker

We are in a tough spot because our biggest weakness (linebacker) probably gets pushed to next year again, unless we can pull off an unlikely trade.
I don't see linebacker being solved until next year if we get lucky. Best situation for us is we get slightly better, and are in position to draft a good linebacker in the 1st round 2021.

If we can get another G/T in the 2nd or 3rd round I would feel good about the future of the offensive line.

I feel good about our skill position group. Would feel great if they drafted another young WR for depth. Feel great about our running backs.
I feel great about our QB of the future in Burrow.

The defense is what worries me, but if we can truly fix the offensive line and run a dynamic offense our defensive inadequacies will be masked a bit.
What worries me is our aging core of players. In a couple years Dunlap and Atkins are getting too old and now we are left with a pretty average defensive line. In order to get an elite defensive line we either have to draft at the top of the draft every year, or hit on some picks late like Marv did. Is our coaching staff/ scouting dept. capable of doing this? Should we look to FA? or are those FAs too old as well?

I think AJ has 5 years left in him. So I'm not too worried there quite yet. Mainly worried about our defensive core. Can we actually get a quality 1st round linebacker next year? Will one or two be available in FA? Can we hit on some late Defensive line gems? Or do we need to grab Dline at the top of the draft in 2022?

We can win now if the offensive line gets fixed. But in a couple years we will have had to revamp the defense.
Reply/Quote