Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE TD Pass to Boyd
I've always thought that when Andy is "ON" he can put the ball just about anywhere into the tightest of coverages, but when he's off it's a whole different guy out there. Protection is vastly under rated for QBs, but so is having receivers who can catch the ball thrown like a big league fastball between defenders.. It's not AS IF guys like Brady and Rogers throw the ball to themselves and stop defensive linemen by themselves..  Regardless, it's still a team sport. Heck...I'm always impressed that receivers can even catch footballs thrown as hard as some of them are thrown. I've never been able to haul em in like that even though I was pretty nifty with a glove and a baseball flying over 100 mph.. A football to me was always like trying to catch a Volkswagon going 100 mph.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: What are the odds we roll into 2020 with hope Dalton can get back to his 2015 self again? I guess we have more games to what how things shake out, but I'm going to assume at least one more year of Dalton.

That is a very safe — and realistic — assumption.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It was a great throw indeed.

It's like Dalton was out there just playing and not over-thinking stuff.

The irony of it all is ANDY learned so much watching FINLEY play  than from anyone else in the team.    :andy:
Reply/Quote
I thought the Jets game was the perfect example of the best and worst of Andy Dalton. That pass to Tyler Boyd was a thing of beauty threading the needle...but then there was a play when he was pressured by the LE beating Bobby Hart to the outside. The rest of the line was holding strong and there was enough space for Andy to move up through a gap between the LE and the DT keeping his eyes downfield instead Andy went backwards dropping his eyes rolled out to the outside and had to end up throwing it away.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:21 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's what I thought.

Risky low percentage throw that could've easily been an end zone turn over.

Let's see what happens going forward.

QBs can fit it in that window but it will come back to bite them against the right defense or a WR that can't snatch it.

Would you rather him throw it away, or take the risk?

People have been on his ass for playing it too safe, and throwing balls away. Now we're on his ass for taking a risk that paid off. I don't get it?

Personally, I like the gunslinger Andy best of all. That's what I saw Sunday. He missed on some deep shots, overthrown, but it sure looked better than conservative Andy to start this season. Looked to me like he said "eff it, I'mma sling this pill all over the field and see what happens." It got him and Boyd a nice TD, and a PI that set up another score. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:57 AM)Synric Wrote: I thought the Jets game was the perfect example of the best and worst of Andy Dalton. That pass to Tyler Boyd was a thing of beauty threading the needle...but then there was a play when he was pressured by the LE beating Bobby Hart to the outside. The rest of the line was holding strong and there was enough space for Andy to move up through a gap between the LE and the DT keeping his eyes downfield instead Andy went backwards dropping his eyes rolled out to the outside and had to end up throwing it away.

I saw that too. I agree, but he also made a nice throw, escaping the pocket, to Uzomah. There were some other instances where he manipulated the pocket better than he has in a couple years. Seems like the ol "internal clock" got reset a bit after watching for a few weeks. The line is playing better too.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: Would you rather him throw it away, or take the risk?

People have been on his ass for playing it too safe, and throwing balls away. Now we're on his ass for taking a risk that paid off. I don't get it?

Personally, I like the gunslinger Andy best of all. That's what I saw Sunday. He missed on some deep shots, overthrown, but it sure looked better than conservative Andy to start this season. Looked to me like he said "eff it, I'mma sling this pill all over the field and see what happens." It got him and Boyd a nice TD, and a PI that set up another score. 

I'm not saying Dalton played poorly.  Obviously he didn't

You gotta admit that throw was very risky for the coverage.  Just like I'll admit he threaded it nicely and Boyd made a clutch catch.

I'm not on his ass. 

A team with a record setting losing record. 

A QB who has been pulled from starting because the offense can't score. 

If the back isn't against the wall then I don't know when it will be for Dalton.

We all know good Andy.  We all know bad Andy.

It worked for him this time.

I wouldn't say it was the best read.  He made the play and slung it in there.

I wouldn't shit on Brett Favre but it's all well known that he made risky throws. 

Sometimes it worked.  Sometimes it was complete failure.

You remember Kitna right?  The biggest knock on him from High School to the Pros was him thinking he could force things into tight windows.

He did fit it in there occasionally.

Anyway Wyche.  I agree that it's nice to see Dalton gunsling and be accurate.  That's what we have and always have wanted.

Honestly going forward I think if they hired Jay Gruden at OC(or HC for that matter)and kept Dalton as starting QB for another year it's the best thing for the team going forward.

They could still pick another QB if they wanted in the draft without having to force him to start day one.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:31 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not saying Dalton played poorly.  Obviously he didn't

You gotta admit that throw was very risky for the coverage.  Just like I'll admit he threaded it nicely and Boyd made a clutch catch.

I'm not on his ass. 

A team with a record setting losing record. 

A QB who has been pulled from starting because the offense can't score. 

If the back isn't against the wall then I don't know when it will be for Dalton.

We all know good Andy.  We all know bad Andy.

It worked for him this time.

I wouldn't say it was the best read.  He made the play and slung it in there.

I wouldn't shit on Brett Favre but it's all well known that he made risky throws. 

Sometimes it worked.  Sometimes it was complete failure.

You remember Kitna right?  The biggest knock on him from High School to the Pros was him thinking he could force things into tight windows.

He did fit it in there occasionally.

Anyway Wyche.  I agree that it's nice to see Dalton gunsling and be accurate.  That's what we have and always have wanted.

Honestly going forward I think if they hired Jay Gruden at OC(or HC for that matter)and kept Dalton as starting QB for another year it's the best thing for the team going forward.

They could still pick another QB if they wanted in the draft without having to force him to start day one.

My thoughts too, and for the record, I know you're a fair poster that I enjoy having around these parts. You're objective in your criticism and give credit where it's due. I was mainly looking to start up some conversation with my post.

I completely agree with you about the best way to handle things moving forward.  I say draft Burrow, and let Dalton play out his contact. If Burrow beats him out, move Dalton before the trade deadline.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 12:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: My thoughts too, and for the record, I know you're a fair poster that I enjoy having around these parts. You're objective in your criticism and give credit where it's due. I was mainly looking to start up some conversation with my post.

I completely agree with you about the best way to handle things moving forward.  I say draft Burrow, and let Dalton play out his contact. If Burrow beats him out, move Dalton before the trade deadline.

It's no surprise for Andy to win this game and play well.

Especially if the line plays slightly better and gives him a little more time.

Even the people who want Dalton gone would admit that.

I get that there are some fans who just want a fresh start at QB.

There are some who think Andy has been thrown to the wolves with circumstances.

Some who feel like his ceiling isn't enough because of his inconsistent play and throws.

I'd say my feelings/thoughts are all of the above.

Then there are some who hate his guts and want him gone no matter what.

I'm not a Dalton hater.  I'm not in his army either. 

It's a tough spot to be on the fence with this guy because I feel this FO has no idea how to reset the team and they just lucked into the Green/Dalton combo era.

Call it the fear of the unknown(Akili pt 2 ?)or Dalton attempting to overcome his own demons.

Neither really leave me with any sense of confidence in the Bengals moving forward.

If they keep Dalton and draft Burrow perhaps they could smoothly transition.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 01:02 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: It's no surprise for Andy to win this game and play well.

Especially if the line plays slightly better and gives him a little more time.

Even the people who want Dalton gone would admit that.

I get that there are some fans who just want a fresh start at QB.

There are some who think Andy has been thrown to the wolves with circumstances.

Some who feel like his ceiling isn't enough because of his inconsistent play and throws.

I'd say my feelings/thoughts are all of the above.

Then there are some who hate his guts and want him gone no matter what.

I'm not a Dalton hater.  I'm not in his army either. 

It's a tough spot to be on the fence with this guy because I feel this FO has no idea how to reset the team and they just lucked into the Green/Dalton combo era.

Call it the fear of the unknown(Akili pt 2 ?)or Dalton attempting to overcome his own demons.

Neither really leave me with any sense of confidence in the Bengals moving forward.

If they keep Dalton and draft Burrow perhaps they could smoothly transition.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I do tend a little bit toward the FO failing him, and Palmer for that matter. That said, I certainly know his limitations. 

You said it, if you protect him, he can play well, very well with GOOD protection. That's why I was on board with seeing what Finley could do, because the team just couldn't protect the QB to start off this season, and they couldn't run. That's how you set a guy like Andy up to fail. People have always made the claim that he needed all of these weapons around him to succeed, but I feel like 2014 disproved that, and in some regard, 2016 as well.  However, when the protection is bad, he's bad. You couple that with losing targets left and right the last few seasons, Dalton is not going to just go out there and win by himself. 

My opinion is that it will do nothing but help this team moving forward if they keep him this off-season, AND draft the heir apparent. Like I said, if the youngster beats him out, you could always trade him.  Also, if he's cut and my memory is correct, there's no dead money.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:31 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Only 5 QB's in the NFL have a chance to complete that throw in that tight of a window. Maybe Dalton's most incredible throw since he's been a Bengal.

Yes, that was on a rope. As others have said i think the benching did him some good.

Much more urgent play from Dalton in this game and he played more freely and had fun all the while taking care of the ball
and not making big mistakes. He did go deep early in the game where a WR was wide open short though and he did have 
the one play where another QB could of spun and went to the left when the pressure occurred.

I still think Dalton panics too much at times and evades the pocket too quickly but he definitely played good in this game.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 04:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: I couldn't have said it better myself. I do tend a little bit toward the FO failing him, and Palmer for that matter. That said, I certainly know his limitations. 

You said it, if you protect him, he can play well, very well with GOOD protection. That's why I was on board with seeing what Finley could do, because the team just couldn't protect the QB to start off this season, and they couldn't run. That's how you set a guy like Andy up to fail. People have always made the claim that he needed all of these weapons around him to succeed, but I feel like 2014 disproved that, and in some regard, 2016 as well.  However, when the protection is bad, he's bad. You couple that with losing targets left and right the last few seasons, Dalton is not going to just go out there and win by himself. 

My opinion is that it will do nothing but help this team moving forward if they keep him this off-season, AND draft the heir apparent. Like I said, if the youngster beats him out, you could always trade him.  Also, if he's cut and my memory is correct, there's no dead money.

This is a reply to you but meant for everyone for conversation sake.

If you were a Vet QB that had never been benched your whole career and then it happend.

Who would you rather be benched/demoted for... a household name 1st round or even #1OA pick QB... or "just some guy" 4th round pick QB that no one ever heard of?

I'm not saying Dalton would be all peachy keen if they picked a QB and retained him.

However you'd gotta think he'd have a somewhat better acceptance if he was being shut down for or eventually lost his starting status to someone with pedigree.

Hard to say definitively but just a thought.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 04:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This is a reply to you but meant for everyone for conversation sake.

If you were a Vet QB that had never been benched your whole career and then it happend.

Who would you rather be benched/demoted for... a household name 1st round or even #1OA pick QB... or "just some guy" 4th round pick QB that no one ever heard of?

I'm not saying Dalton would be all peachy keen if they picked a QB and retained him.

However you'd gotta think he'd have a somewhat better acceptance if he was being shut down for or eventually lost his starting status to someone with pedigree.

Good point.....that might be why he was a little salty at first.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 04:15 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This is a reply to you but meant for everyone for conversation sake.

It certainly was even more of a diss after watching Finley play...
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 08:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, I know that all of you are familiar with the "Dead Cat Bounce" principle.

However, might I be able to interest you in the "Good Andy/Bad Andy" theory?   Cool

there is Good Andy  Bad Andy... I think we watched Mad Andy on sunday.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 06:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is Good Andy  Bad Andy... I think we watched Mad Andy on sunday.

Mad Andy might be the best Andy.....

Reply/Quote