Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THIS is what black people be talking about…
As a disclaimer, please don’t even join the conversation if it’s just to be negative.

We gotta talk about Zac Taylor.

In the black community there’s kind of a running joke that a young white guy with a smile getting unearned benefits and opportunities. Iv been at jobs where a guy was promoted who had nowhere near the experience or work quality as the next guy and when it’s a younger white guy there’s resentment that ppl will have towards him because of the mindset that he only got the job because he was a young white guy.

Here comes Zac Taylor. Young coach with a solid resume but it shouldn’t have gotten him a NFL head coach job. Period. Upon looking at this career you find that maybe he shouldn’t have gotten any job he’s gotten and I’m being serious.

Let’s start…

He’s a college QB and was a pretty good one. Not a natural talent. Had stops in community college and eventually went to the University of Nebraska and set records. Was 2012’s Big 12 offensive player of the year. So his playing career is actually a story of hard work and grind and no one can take that from him. This also explains why Burrow likes him and why he connects with Burrow so much. While not the same they had similar stories. Never caught on in the NFL. Simply wasn’t good enough.

Now let’s go to his coaching career and this is where as a black man i have to give a side eye.

His 1st job was as a tight ends coach for his father in law Mike Sherman at Texas A and M………Yeah we know what this is. Does anyone have to say it? No, but i will anyway. He got a gift from family that he may or may not have deserved. No unbiased person can say he deserved that job. He coaches there for 3 years, i think, and Mike Sherman was fired after sucking too much. So his first stop, he didn’t get it done. Texas A and M weren’t known for their tight ends and tight end was not even a huge part of the Aggie offense.(Which explains why Sherman threw him there) Through his 3 years at A and M Zac Taylor coached 2 tight ends that would make the NFL. Martellus Bennett(Solid career) and Jamie McCoy(1 game). To my knowledge Martellus credits NOTHING to Zac Taylor’s coaching. If you find any stories of Martellus crediting Taylor for anything please let me know.

Let’s move on…

Joe Philbin got hired as the Dolphins head coach and Taylor spent 2012 as his assistant quarterbacks coach. Why do you ask? Take a guess who the offensive coordinator was. You’re right, MIKE SHERMAN. Why is no one else giving Taylor a job at this point? Because he isn’t good enough period. No unbiased person can come to any other conclusion. Taylor lasted in Miami a number of seasons and was promoted to quarterbacks coach. Now THIS is where i finally say he should’ve gotten the job. He was a solid college QB and had a good mind for the position. So imo we have a case of a guy getting gifts in the form of jobs but eventually getting into a spot he probably would’ve gotten to anyway. But the deal is he was helped and he got help black coaches just don’t get. The only black nepotism-like hire i can remember is Tomlin hiring Flores this year. And even in this case Flores is a great coach but it’s obvious Tomlin hired him so he’d have a job.(If there are more black nepotism hires you can name please tell me.) Under Zac Taylor, Dolphins QBs we’re average. Ryan Tannehill had good years statistically but the team was middling and hung around 8-8 and while Tannehill was decent, he never really took him to the next level. So for his stint in Miami you can say he did alright. A good caveat about his stint in Miami is he ended up being the offensive coordinator for the last 5 games of the 2015 season and the team went 2-3 in those 5 games and scored 15 points, 24, 14, 12 and 20 points. That’s 15ppg average. TRASH. Now remember this is a team that fired its coach and likely had injuries by the time Zac got the reigns at offensive coordinator but that point output is not even league average. Maybe you give him a pass cause he was new but it’s not like those 5 games where he was the man, set the world on fire or anything.

Let’s move on….

Zac spends 2016 at the University of Cincinnati. No BS here. He earned this job, had the resume to justify getting this job. Taylor while at UC had no talent like Tannehill at QB. The team was ass and his quarterbacks were bad. I can’t put that on Taylor for not making bad guys good. At UC he was OC and QB coach. Did not set the world on fire. UC went 1-7 in their conference and only averaged 19 ppg which is actually REALLY BAD in college but I’m cutting him slack because that roster was doo doo. Only 3 players on that offense would go on to even touch a NFL jersey.

Let’s move on.

Rams. We all know how this went. Assistant WR coach, promoted to QB coach. Never was the OC in LA. I have no idea why Mcvay hired Zac. Mike Sherman was not involved to my knowledge and I’m having a hard time WHY Zac was chosen. Everything I’m seeing just says McVay thought Zac was smart, which is fine. Well the Rams explode. They have great seasons and a decent offense(Sean McVay is head coach and he’s calling the plays.) Zac Taylor’s footprint here is still up in the air. Goff was decent with Taylor as QB coach. No unbiased person can say anything other than Taylor succeeded here. Especially seeing how limited Goff is.

We move on to Cincinnati and the verdict is still out. His all time record with us is 16-32-1 and if you erased the Super Bowl run he’s been trash as hell. His first 2 years we ranked 29th and 30th in offense. His best year which was 10-7 we ranked 11th and most ppl say Joe Burrow is the only reason this happened. Not anything Taylor or his coaching staff did.

I say all this to say that THIS is the shit black ppl talk about when the conversation of white privilege and nepotism come up. By all accounts Zac is an average to possibly bum ass coach but he got a foot in the door through his father in law. And even more disrespectfully he didn’t kick that ***** down. He got his foot in the door and has continued to slowly squeeze through that mofo trying not to hear it squeak.

Wether you like it or not Zac Taylor is a shining example of coaches getting jobs they don’t deserve. Sean McVay is too lowkey but at least he got his foot in the door and kicked that mofo down. I respect that.

I made this thread to tell you guys whenever you see black ppl claiming white guys have it easier than everyone else, we’re talking about Zac Taylor’s ass. Gifted jobs, and along the way picked up enough credentials to justify his position but he did not get it from the dirt like other coaches have. But we all knew this.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Most coaches have gotten jobs because they know other higher level coaches. It's the whole concept of a coaching tree. To suggest that Taylor benefits from this system and not other coaches is wrong. It's how most of the NFL and D1 operates.

That said, I do agree with you is that this model of coach hiring can negatively impact diversification overall. It's another case of not getting in on the ground floor having ripple effects. If you're not from one of a handful of coaching trees, then you're chances of breaking into D1 or NFL coaching is lower.

I think your post highlights the nepotism of the coaching world well. It has also been shown time and again that nepotistic modes of talent acquisition will enforce a status quo of times gone by whether consciously or not.

I think Taylor happened to be the benefactor mainly of being in the McVay coaching tree at that point in time and being unaccomplished enough that working under our infamous FO was worth a shot to makes a name for himself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think to prove racial bias exists you don't have to look any further than Eric Bienemy. I think he'll get a job and he may or may not be a good head coach. But if he was a white dude he would've already been hired.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think to prove racial bias exists you don't have to look any further than Eric Bienemy. I think he'll get a job and he may or may not be a good head coach. But if he was a white dude he would've already been hired.

He's been arrested like 5 times (granted in the past), which scares off a lot of teams. He also turned down a college HC job in 2020.

He also has the misfortune of being the OC while not being a playcaller for a HoF coach. Same problem Pete Carmichael has with the Saints when he was under Sean Payton as the OC (but not the playcaller) since 2009.

...and I was one who was pulling hard for Bienemy over Taylor.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
That's what I call racism. I don't think his skin color had anything to do with it.

https://www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/zac-taylor

"Taylor's coaching career began at Texas A&M University, where he served as offensive graduate assistant and tight ends coach under head coach Mike Sherman from 2008-11. The Aggies shared the Big 12 South Championship in 2010 and played in three bowl games during Taylor's time in College Station.

As a player, Taylor began his college career at Wake Forest (2002-03) before transferring to Butler County Community College in Kansas ('04) and then playing his final two seasons ('05-06) at the University of Nebraska. Taylor had a decorated career with the Cornhuskers, setting numerous school records and passing for 5850 yards and 45 touchdowns. In his 2006 senior season, he was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year after passing for 3197 total yards and leading the Cornhuskers to a 9-3 record, an appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game and a berth in the Cotton Bowl. He was inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame in 2017.

Taylor joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a college free agent in 2007, but he was waived prior to the start of training camp and never saw NFL action. Later that year, he joined the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League, where he spent one season (did not play).

His father, Sherwood, was a defensive back and captain at the University of Oklahoma, playing under Sooners head coach Barry Switzer from 1976-79. Sherwood Taylor later served as an assistant coach at Oklahoma and Kansas State University. Taylor's brother, Press, played quarterback at Marshall University and currently is the offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguar."

His whole life has been football, he has good leadership skills, the players like him, and he works his ass off. That's what got him the job here.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:46 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That's what I call racism. I don't think his skin color had anything to do with it.

https://www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/zac-taylor

"Taylor's coaching career began at Texas A&M University, where he served as offensive graduate assistant and tight ends coach under head coach Mike Sherman from 2008-11. The Aggies shared the Big 12 South Championship in 2010 and played in three bowl games during Taylor's time in College Station.

As a player, Taylor began his college career at Wake Forest (2002-03) before transferring to Butler County Community College in Kansas ('04) and then playing his final two seasons ('05-06) at the University of Nebraska. Taylor had a decorated career with the Cornhuskers, setting numerous school records and passing for 5850 yards and 45 touchdowns. In his 2006 senior season, he was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year after passing for 3197 total yards and leading the Cornhuskers to a 9-3 record, an appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game and a berth in the Cotton Bowl. He was inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame in 2017.

Taylor joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a college free agent in 2007, but he was waived prior to the start of training camp and never saw NFL action. Later that year, he joined the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League, where he spent one season (did not play).

His father, Sherwood, was a defensive back and captain at the University of Oklahoma, playing under Sooners head coach Barry Switzer from 1976-79. Sherwood Taylor later served as an assistant coach at Oklahoma and Kansas State University. Taylor's brother, Press, played quarterback at Marshall University and currently is the offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguar."

His whole life has been football, he has good leadership skills, the players like him, and he works his ass off. That's what got him the job here.
Is this the Bengals.com run down of his career? Lol

They were being really really nice to Zac if they write this lol

All i have to say to the racism claim is of course him getting gifted jobs isn’t racism. It’s nepotism.

The race aspect i guess comes in more so in the NFL. His 1st college job he wasn’t credentialed for and got it gifted to him. No one could possibly say otherwise. TE coach when he never played a lick of tight end. We know what that is. Mike Sherman barely used his tight ends too so he gave Zac a softball job. I think one year Zac coached the TEs his starter had like 14 catches. That’s basically nothing.

The race aspect comes in when you see this resume and realize it got him a head coach job in the NFL.

Name the black coach with such a shit resume that got a NFL job.

Wherever Zac went where he was in complete charge he made that offense shitty.

His career highlight is being on the same staff as Sean McVay.

I hope the whole myth he’s some undercover football genius is dispelled by now right?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
So the team that had a black head coach for fifteen years is racist against black head coaches? You can say the NFL this and that, but in the end it was the Bengals organization that hired him, and it was the Bengals organization that had a black head coach for fifteen years.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So the team that had a black head coach for fifteen years is racist against black head coaches?  You can say the NFL this and that, but in the end it was the Bengals organization that hired him, and it was the Bengals organization that had a black head coach for fifteen years.

Yeah you guys are reading this thread wrong.

The accusation isnt of pure racism. Its of favoritism and grading on a different scale for white coaches.

Zac Taylor had the resume of a trash college coach and is now a head coach. I just ran down his resume from start to finish so this cannot be debated.

Name the black Zac Taylor. I dont think ANY NFL owner is checking out a coach similar to Zac and telling themselves "Phew if he were white id hire him." I think the bias is subconscious but that doesnt make it better. Zac isnt the only one either. Cliff Kingsbury, Sean McVay(Even tho hes a beast) are all guys that have trash resume's but were given a chance.

But we look at black coaches with actual resumes and every excuse is made to NOT hire them.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:19 PM)Housh Wrote: Yeah you guys are reading this thread wrong.

The accusation isnt of pure racism. Its of favoritism and grading on a different scale for white coaches.

Zac Taylor had the resume of a trash college coach and is now a head coach. I just ran down his resume from start to finish so this cannot be debated.

Name the black Zac Taylor. I dont think ANY NFL owner is checking out a coach similar to Zac and telling themselves "Phew if he were white id hire him." I think the bias is subconscious but that doesnt make it better. Zac isnt the only one either. Cliff Kingsbury, Sean McVay(Even tho hes a beast) are all guys that have trash resume's but were given a chance.

But we look at black coaches with actual resumes and every excuse is made to NOT hire them.

There may not be a black Zak Taylor, but name the white Marvin Lewis.  Name the coach that stays fifteen years without a playoff win.  I'm going to say he doesn't exist in the history of the NFL. I'm not speaking for the rest of the NFL here.  The Bengals are a bit different than others, and what they value is not the same as the rest of the league. and a lot of times it shows.  I just don't think using them as an example is a good argument.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:56 AM)Housh Wrote: His career highlight is being on the same staff as Sean McVay.

That pretty much seems to be enough to get a job in the NFL right now. 4 Head Coaches, 2 Offensive Coodinators, 2 Defensive Coordinators, and 2 Special Team Coordinators all are from McVay's staff and McVay's only in his 6th year as a HC (those numbers obviously aren't counting the Rams current OC/DC/STC.)

Reply/Quote
Most black grievances are pretty legit if you look back in time..NFL is no exception. It is what it is, a multi billion dollar enterprise owned exclusively by white families, but they own it. Yeah it's a dirty business, but so are supermarkets and fast food joints and every other large industrial scale enterprises. Until the underlying power structure changes it'll remain what it is and that ain't happening in my lifetime. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 01:42 PM)grampahol Wrote: 300,000 give or take a few hundred thousand corpses..
Russian logistics absolutely sucks big time. They sent 120000 in February utterly unprepared for winter in February so they announced this nonsense heading into winter..
We'll be sending huge amounts of winter gear and equipment plus weapons. This is looking like sending lambs to the slaughter. I'm guessing these guys will get minimal training with next to no motivation and morale with old materiel to fight with along with the world's worst logical lines..Poor kids, but a lot of them are going to be well past being kids.. War is not and never has been an old man's gig.. 
But Putin has put himself between a rock and a hard place. Can't back down and can't succeed. I think we've gone well beyond the point of no return for anyone to back out.. 
As far as I'm concerned it's well past time to absolutely crush Russia so it takes them 50 years to recover..We let them off the hook in the 90s..

... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 01:55 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: ... Mellow

Oops..wrong post.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 06:51 AM)grampahol Wrote: Most black grievances are pretty legit if you look back in time..NFL is no exception. It is what it is, a multi billion dollar enterprise owned exclusively by white families, but they own it. Yeah it's a dirty business, but so are supermarkets and fast food joints and every other large industrial scale enterprises. Until the underlying power structure changes it'll remain what it is and that ain't happening in my lifetime. 

Almost exclusively, 30/31 owners.

[Image: Shahid_Khan_2015.jpg]

Doesn't change your point/post, though.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 06:51 AM)grampahol Wrote: Most black grievances are pretty legit if you look back in time..NFL is no exception. It is what it is, a multi billion dollar enterprise owned exclusively by white families, but they own it. Yeah it's a dirty business, but so are supermarkets and fast food joints and every other large industrial scale enterprises. Until the underlying power structure changes it'll remain what it is and that ain't happening in my lifetime. 

I don’t think it’s a discussion anymore. While Zac Taylor is getting excuses to why they will be a good head coach, good coaches are getting excuses to why they CANT be head coach

The fact that the worse franchise in the league had a black guy means nothing to me.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 03:31 PM)Housh Wrote: I don’t think it’s a discussion anymore. While Zac Taylor is getting excuses to why they will be a good head coach, good coaches are getting excuses to why they CANT be head coach

The fact that the worse franchise in the league had a black guy means nothing to me.

I did think there was a lot better qualified candidates than the guy that was near Sean McVay on his SB run

Like guys that have been OC or DC or ST coach..
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati Bengals employed an African-American Head Coach longer than most of the teams NFL... to suggest the hiring of Zac Taylor had anything to do with race is silly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 03:31 PM)Housh Wrote: I don’t think it’s a discussion anymore. While Zac Taylor is getting excuses to why they will be a good head coach, good coaches are getting excuses to why they CANT be head coach

This makes no sense.  You really need a better example.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 02:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Almost exclusively, 30/31 owners.

[Image: Shahid_Khan_2015.jpg]

Doesn't change your point/post, though.

What the hell are we supposed to do about that?

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 04:58 PM)Synric Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals employed an African-American Head Coach longer than most of the teams NFL... to suggest the hiring of Zac Taylor had anything to do with race is silly.

Read the thread again. Iv said this twice already

How could the hiring of Zac be racist when this team just had Marvin for 15 years?

I thought i made it clear where exactly the race aspect comes in at. I’m not getting snippy either

It’s just the thread will take a weird turn if ppl are thinking I’m accusing the Bengals of racism.

I’m accusing ZT of benefitting from nepotism and I’m accusing the whole NFL of bias and POSSIBLY racism with how white coaches are able to have worse resumes than black ones and get jobs
-Housh
Reply/Quote