Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre Nichols
This guy was killed by 5 police officers in Memphis. All are black including the police chief. The officers were arrested and charged with second degree murder. I watched the video and they beat him to death. This makes the police look bad and there will be protests. Some are claiming it was racist even though only blacks were involved. IMO the officers violated many protocols and let anger supersede reality. This will take a while for police to overcome.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 04:03 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: This guy was killed by 5 police officers in Memphis. All are black including the police chief. The officers were arrested and charged with second degree murder. I watched the video and they beat him to death. This makes the police look bad and there will be protests. Some are claiming it was racist even though only blacks were involved. IMO the officers violated many protocols and let anger supersede reality. This will take a while for police to overcome.

I did some tweets wondering why these officers were arrested and charged faster than say, almost every other officer involved in a job related death.  But I did not watch the video so I'm going to assume it was pretty brutal for this to happen so quickly.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 04:03 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: This guy was killed by 5 police officers in Memphis. All are black including the police chief. The officers were arrested and charged with second degree murder. I watched the video and they beat him to death. This makes the police look bad and there will be protests. Some are claiming it was racist even though only blacks were involved. IMO the officers violated many protocols and let anger supersede reality. This will take a while for police to overcome.

Yeah, Guy, the news media are treating us to a range of responses and diagnosis to this.

On the liberal side many, like Van Jones and Al Sharpton, see this as a problem of police culture informed by racism. But the response by Memphis' black female police chief looks decisive--fire the officers involved immediately and arrest them for manslaughter. Release the video as soon as possible, if that is what the family wants. Such action, signaling justice might be trending in this case, may prevent the kind of rioting which followed Rodney King, George Floyd, and others. We'll see.

On the right, diagnosis runs quite a different direction.

On Tucker last night a black conservative blames the whole mess on black men raised without fatherly authority and a police department run by a woman. Tucker thinks there is obviously no racism involved because it was blacks killing a black. 

Hannity sees it otherwise. Racism IS the cause, he says, but by that be means "REAL" racism--i.e., Blacks and liberal civil rights activists who still "see racism everywhere." 

Both Tucker and Hannity showed segments of the beating, but spent most of their time on impending protests and an Antifa flyer calling for people to gather and attack police buildings in New York. "Who is behind Antifa?" Tucker asks. "Why don't we know?" A Hannity guest laments the difficulty of hiring police officers now days, given the public criticism of police for killing unarmed men and women. An ex-policeman, his focus was mainly on flagging the lack of leadership on the site of the beating, and raised questions about the wisdom of a "scorpion squad."

Unarmed Ashli Babbit was "murdered" by Capitol police (as she was breaking through a door at the head of a violent mob in the Capitol seeking to execute Pelosi and Pence) and no one suspended the killer or released his name. Double standards and liberal hypocrisy.

It will be interesting to see how these narratives develop, complicate, and conflict in the wake of the video release and, eventually, the trial of the killers. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 01:37 PM)Dill Wrote: On Tucker last night a black conservative blames the whole mess on black men raised without fatherly authority 

This is rich coming from a show that legally claims that no one should take it seriously, yet has more influence over white people than their own fathers likely ever had.  Sounds like white folks have a primary issue within the home if they look towards a someone like Tucker to form their realities.
Reply/Quote
Saw the video. it's a shocking level of violence for a pretty extended period of time.

Idk all of the details, but I wonder what caused these officers to escalate things to that level. Reckless driving doesn't seem to warrant that kind outburst. I don't get it. It doesn't seem like he was a dude that was overly difficult to subdue.

Why would that many officers just snap like that all at once? They had to know someone would eventually see the video.
Reply/Quote
I can’t even watch these vids anymore

Glad to see they all were immediately charged with murder
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 06:11 PM)samhain Wrote: Saw the video. it's a shocking level of violence for a pretty extended period of time.

Idk all of the details, but I wonder what caused these officers to escalate things to that level. Reckless driving doesn't seem to warrant that kind outburst. I don't get it. It doesn't seem like he was a dude that was overly difficult to subdue.

Why would that many officers just snap like that all at once? They had to know someone would eventually see the video.

Steroids. It’s a huge problem in most police force’s in the country, especially large ones. These dudes need to be tested on the reg.
Reply/Quote
just awful. God give the family strength though this time.
Reply/Quote
I follow an influencer who is a former cop and very much a defender of police actions. I don't necessarily agree with him all of the time but I appreciate his point of view. Even he was talking about how the charges were the correct thing to do. These cops were absolutely in the wrong.

I do want to comment on the discussion around the racism commentary occurring in this situation, though. There have been people discussing the actions of these cops being rooted in racism and, as a result, mockery occurring from some segments because the perpetrators and the victim were all black. What is missed in this discussion is that racism is a systemic issue that produces these sorts of mentality. Because the officers were in a position of authority that power dynamic exists as a result of these racist attitudes and policies. That all being said, these officers will also likely be victims of the racist systems in this country as there is zero doubt that they will face harsher reactions from the courts and the public than white officers would face.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:04 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I follow an influencer who is a former cop and very much a defender of police actions. I don't necessarily agree with him all of the time but I appreciate his point of view. Even he was talking about how the charges were the correct thing to do. These cops were absolutely in the wrong.

I do want to comment on the discussion around the racism commentary occurring in this situation, though. There have been people discussing the actions of these cops being rooted in racism and, as a result, mockery occurring from some segments because the perpetrators and the victim were all black. What is missed in this discussion is that racism is a systemic issue that produces these sorts of mentality. Because the officers were in a position of authority that power dynamic exists as a result of these racist attitudes and policies. That all being said, these officers will also likely be victims of the racist systems in this country as there is zero doubt that they will face harsher reactions from the courts and the public than white officers would face.

Can't wait to see the media's portrayal of these officers when compared to an officer like Chauvin.
Reply/Quote
You know a police murder is bad when even conservatives are calling it a murder.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:33 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Can't wait to see the media's portrayal of these officers when compared to an officer like Chauvin.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sixth-officer-relieved-duty-tyre-nichols-death-memphis-police-say-rcna68192

Quote:A sixth Memphis police officer has been relieved of duty after the traffic stop that led to Tyre Nichols' death earlier this month, police said Monday.

Body camera video released Friday shows the officer, identified by police and his attorney as Preston Hemphill, firing a stun gun at Nichols as he initially ran from officers during the Jan. 7 stop.

“I can confirm that I represent Memphis Police Officer Preston Hemphill who was the third officer at the initial stop of Mr. Nichols. Video One is his bodycam footage,” Attorney Lee Gerald said in a statement.

He added: “As per departmental regulations Officer Hemphill activated his bodycam. He was never present at the second scene. He is cooperating with officials in this investigation.”

Five other officers — Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills Jr. and Justin Smith — were fired on Jan. 20 after an administrative investigation found they had violated department policy on the use of force. They were hired between 2017 and 2020.

The former officers were charged with second-degree murder, two counts of official misconduct, two counts of aggravated kidnapping, one count of official oppression and one count of aggravated assault, prosecutors announced last week.
[Image: 230130-Preston-Hemphill-ew-212p-a504e1.jpg][color=var(--caption--color)]Memphis Police Officer Preston Hemphill.[color=var(--caption--source--color)]Memphis Police via Facebook[/color][/color]
Asked why the department did not announce disciplinary action against Hemphill on the same day it announced the firing of the five officers, a police spokesperson said: "The other 5 officer’s names were announced when they were charged departmentally, then subsequently charged criminally. Officer Hemphill has not received departmental or criminal charges. 
As we have advised, the investigation is ongoing. Officer Hemphill’s name came out after it was heard in the video from the Tyre Nichols scene, that was released Friday evening. We are simply confirming that he is relieved of duty.”

That answer was not sufficient for Nichols' family attorney Ben Crump.

“The news today from Memphis officials that Officer Preston Hemphill was reportedly relieved of duty weeks ago, but not yet terminated or charged, is extremely disappointing. Why is his identity and the role he played in Tyre’s death just now coming to light?” he asked.

Crump added: “We have asked from the beginning that the Memphis Police Department be transparent with the family and the community — this news seems to indicate that they haven’t risen to the occasion. It certainly begs the question why the white officer involved in this brutal attack was shielded and protected from the public eye, and to date, from sufficient discipline and accountability. The Memphis Police Department owes us all answers.”

At least one city official said the discipline against Hemphill does not go far enough.

“For the record, relieving someone of duty is not firing them,” Memphis City Council Vice Chair J.B. Smiley Jr. tweeted, ending the post with "#FirePrestonHemphill" and "#JusticeForTyre."

A representative with the union representing rank-and-file officers, the Memphis Police Association, could not be reached for comment.
[Image: TYRE_NICHOLS_FULL_POLICE_VIDEO_BLEEPED_W...68u4vm.jpg]

Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man who was an amateur photographer and skateboarder,[color=var(--article-body-content-strong)] [/color]was hospitalized in critical condition and died three days after the traffic stop.

Multiple police videos show officers punching, kicking and hitting Nichols with a baton.

There were three videos from police body cameras and one from a police surveillance camera mounted on a pole. A body camera video shows Nichols escaped while on the ground and an officer shot a stun gun at him. At least one officer appeared to have been hit with a chemical irritant when it was sprayed at Nichols during the initial encounter.
[Image: 230126-tyre-nichols-mn-1555-350229.jpg][color=var(--caption--color)]Tyre Nichols.[color=var(--caption--source--color)]Courtesy Ben Crump Law[/color][/color]
Nichols managed to run to his mother’s neighborhood and was about 80 yards from her house when video captured multiple officers assaulting him as he shouted for her help.

Two Shelby County Sheriff’s Office deputies were relieved of duty pending an administrative investigation in connection to Nichols’ death, Sheriff Floyd Bonner Jr. announced Friday night after watching the video for the first time.

Bonner said he had “concerns about two deputies who appeared on the scene following the physical confrontation between police and Tyre Nichols.”

The investigation will look into their conduct to determine what happened and if any policies were violated, the sheriff said. 

Last week, two Memphis fire personnel also were "relieved of duty" while that department conducts an internal investigation into Nichols's death.

Fire spokesperson Qwanesha Ward said the employees were "involved in the initial patient care" of Nichols; she did not provide further details.

"This is an ongoing investigation, and we cannot comment further at this time," Ward said in a Jan. 24 statement.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You know a police murder is bad when even conservatives are calling it a murder.

For the most part.  There are still excuses being made.

Whitlock blamed the fact that the police chief is a black woman.

Quote:During an appearance on FNC’s “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” Jason Whitlock, host of the “Fearless” podcast, said the actions of the five Memphis Police Officers charged with the murder of Tyre Nichols were a reflection of the breakdown of the family.

According to Whitlock, the beating was a clear-cut case of illegality by the accused law enforcement officers. However, it also appeared to represent the culture of single mothers who have risen to leadership posts in many American cities.

“They don’t want us focused on reality. Hey, if they want to devote an hour of coverage to this and weekend coverage of this, and they want to take us to a good place, I would examine the racial element of this because there is a racial element. And this is a story about young black men and their inability to treat each other in a humane way. Everybody involved in this on the street level was either 24 to 32 years old, everybody. It was a group of young black men, five-on-one. It looked like gang violence to me. It looked like what young black men do when they’re supervised by a single black woman, and that’s what they’ve got going on in the Memphis Police Department.”

Tucker himself says white people are the real victims.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: For the most part.  There are still excuses being made.

Whitlock blamed the fact that the police chief is a black woman.

That's been a talking point of black conservatism for decades--

Black men need to step up and control their women.

Stop all the whining about "racism."
Reply/Quote