Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THIS is what black people be talking about…
(10-03-2022, 12:30 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's possible. I am still a relatively young fan, so I haven't yet seen many players from when I first began watching become coaches, other than a few like Byron Leftwich and DeMeco Ryans. Many coaches coming up now are people I've never heard of as players (like Zac Taylor). So there's a chance that success in the NFL as a player does not directly correlate to success as a coach.

I'm not sure that explains the disparity between black players and black coaches though. If 60 to 70% of players are black, the assumption would be that that same (or similar) percentage would carry into the "people that don't get as much of a chance to go on to the next level of playing so they concentrate on becoming coaches" pool as well.

A coach is a teacher an not everyone can teach. Alot of coaches don't start as coaches in the NFL they start as graduate assistants in college . They learn coaching from the ground up.

The NFL has a ton of new paths for diversity coaches. Those are very recent and will take years before we see success or failure but the media wants it RIGHT NOW.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 10:21 AM)Joelist Wrote: Can we move this to Politics? It really is not a discussion for Jungle Noise.

Honestly I like hearing different points of view. Something that doesn’t really happen in that sub forum anymore.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 12:39 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Honestly I like hearing different points of view. Something that doesn’t really happen in that sun forum anymore.

Yeah I think it's been pretty civil between people with different opinions.  Not so much toward the writer though.  Wink
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I think Nepotism is a bigger part of it honestly. At least in the current day.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 12:36 PM)Synric Wrote: A coach is a teacher an not everyone can teach. Alot of coaches don't start as coaches in the NFL they start as graduate assistants in college . They learn coaching from the ground up.

The NFL has a ton of new paths for diversity coaches. Those are very recent and will take years before we see success or failure but the media wants it RIGHT NOW.

This particular person in the media, yea. I think her kind are a net negative for those on the left in many ways. She has a very Robin DiAngelo feel to her, which is not a compliment.

(10-03-2022, 01:30 PM)Garrus Wrote: I think Nepotism is a bigger part of it honestly. At least in the current day.

It definitely plays a part, but nepotism has its talons in systemic racism as well (or vice versa, I'm not sure), since nepotism is generally rich, well off people hiring other rich, well off people (or people connected to rich, well off people) and, due to our country's (and world's, honestly) history, that kind of kicks out many people of color by design. If Zac Taylor marries the daughter of a football coach and gets his opportunities based on that connection, then he hires his friends from those times, who also likely had some sort of nepotistic connection to get that job, where can minority or underprivileged people fit into that nepotism structure? 

It's a tough shell to crack, for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 11:15 AM)Go Cards Wrote: MB has clearly shown diversity in the past and even refused to fire Marvin for years when the entire fan base wanted him to do so.

Not buying the narrative

You took my thunder. But, again, what you stated would never be written about or mentioned. Everything is to black and white from a literal standpoint,too. What I mean is to even make a valid point that you did would somehow tug at the two sides here. The ones that argue ethnicity and numbers don't want to hear that no matter how valid it is. Can't straddle a fence anymore.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 11:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals have shown plenty of diversity in their coaching staff throughout the years.  Is there some rule that now states the teams must maintain a racially diverse staff at all times?  I didn't think so.

Seems more like an activism motivated writer attempting to create news where there is none.

Very nice way of way of putting it.  I'm not that classy....these race baiting racist zealots can kiss my whole ass.  They're the worst.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 11:26 AM)TheFan Wrote: This article is so stupid. Like literally terrible and lazy. They even say:

"They made Marvin Lewis just the seventh Black head coach in NFL history, and helped Leslie Frazier, Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph on the path to that rare fraternity. Jackson was the rare Black offensive coordinator when he held that position in Cincinnati in 2014 and 2015. Katie Blackburn, the Bengals executive vice president and daughter of current owner Mike Brown, chaired the NFL’s diversity committee.

The Bengals were so intentional about breaking down barriers for coaches of color that the Fritz Pollard Alliance, a non-profit organization that champions diversity in the NFL, even gave Blackburn an award for the family’s efforts"

So that same person randomly become discriminatory and racist in a few years? No other factors could there be. 

We know it's not true but we call you racist anyway because that's how we get leverage over people.

Hugh Jackson was pretty clearly the heir apparent to Marvin Lewis before he decided to jump ship for Cleveland.  It seems like we probably got lucky on that one.  He would probably still be our coach right now and experience suggests that he lacked some ingredient necessary for the top position.

Likewise they tried to hang on to Vance Joseph and seemed to have him in mind as a future DC.

It's funny that we're even trusting this activist nitwit to do the math correctly. "23.81% coaches of color" would mean that we have 5.0001 coaches of color by their numbers.  

It's more than a little gross to say that you "independently verified their racial identification."
Reply/Quote
Once again, don't get so fired up over this. One writer wrote something stupid about the Bengals. Are we not used to this by now? Only Bengals fans get up in arms about this. What is on deck? A Pittsburgh sports writer talking about how dirty Bengals players are? GTFOH.

Screw her and her opinions. This organization has been absolutely horrible about many, many, many things, but we all know that being racist POS is not one of them. 99 problems...
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
There will never be a black Zac Taylor, Jesus Christ the game today proves this thread right
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:50 AM)Housh Wrote: There will never be a black Zac Taylor, Jesus Christ the game today proves this thread right

I mean, there was a Hue Jackson. 0-16? Ah, we keep you, and you sure find a job even if we don't.

If that guy had been white, he'd be a perfect example though.
Reply/Quote
Who’s your top 3 black hires for this team?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:08 AM)hollodero Wrote: I mean, there was a Hue Jackson. 0-16? Ah, we keep you, and you sure find a job even if we don't.

If that guy had been white, he'd be a perfect example though.

I personally liked Hie as OC.

I never felt playcalling was an issue

Hue’s issue is he and Marvin has no control over the team’s discipline.

One thing I’ll say about Zac is he exudes professionalism and we don’t get dumb ass penalties with him. With a roster this young that means that a Zac must be a solid leader in the locker room. I never felt Hue or Marvin was that.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 10:26 PM)Housh Wrote: I personally liked Hie as OC.

I never felt playcalling was an issue

Hue’s issue is he and Marvin has no control over the team’s discipline.

Which makes them worse coaches. But especially with Hue, I would say that a 0-16 season is an additional issue. Finding excuses or external reasons only can go so far. A 0-16 is a lot to blame on lack of talent, discipline and Cleveland toxicity alone.

Yet Cleveland kept him. And after they finally let go, the Bengals took him back in some capacity. A move you might have approved of, but I think it's safe to say most people were rather surprised and taken aback by that and it's obvious why. It seemed inexplicable. Which might not be true if Hue were a white guy, then some people would find an explanation, it's got to be white privilege. In fact I'm pretty certain some folks would have felt and said so. Case in point, you reached that exact same conclusion in regards to Zac Taylor.

And that's where I feel the premise of your whole thread falls a bit flat. I'm not denying that the underlying symptomatics are very real, but high-end coaching might not be the best example. Eg. you more or less implied that Sean McVay chose Zac Taylor because of racial bias, and I don't think that's a reasonable assumption. I don't think he'd come that far if he hired his staff based on racial bias, I'd rather assume there's little room for such prejudices in a highly professional setting like the coaching staff of one of the most successful NFL coaches.

(10-11-2022, 10:26 PM)Housh Wrote: One thing I’ll say about Zac is he exudes professionalism and we don’t get dumb ass penalties with him. With a roster this young that means that a Zac must be a solid leader in the locker room. I never felt Hue or Marvin was that.

I mean, he was in the Super Bowl. I know there possibly was luck and momentum involved, but still. A bad coach that only climbed the ladder because of white networks probably does not achieve that.
Reply/Quote
Giants coach has his boys at 5-1.

I wonder if this hurts Brian Flore’s lawsuit.

I know that’s not fair and has nothing to do with Flores but i feel like if i were the NFL’s/Miami’s legal team i would at least bring it up.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Imagine being a coach whose workin his ass off and you see Jeff Saturday get a job opportunity that he didn’t even want lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 04:11 PM)Roland Wrote: We know it's not true but we call you racist anyway because that's how we get leverage over people.

Hugh Jackson was pretty clearly the heir apparent to Marvin Lewis before he decided to jump ship for Cleveland.  It seems like we probably got lucky on that one.  He would probably still be our coach right now and experience suggests that he lacked some ingredient necessary for the top position.

Likewise they tried to hang on to Vance Joseph and seemed to have him in mind as a future DC.

It's funny that we're even trusting this activist nitwit to do the math correctly. "23.81% coaches of color" would mean that we have 5.0001 coaches of color by their numbers.  

It's more than a little gross to say that you "independently verified their racial identification."

Although I'm not sure Hue or any coach in that window of time got a fair shake with the Browns. But his own bad decision for deciding to go there. I think the big thing that did Hue in was him not liking Baker and turns out he was probably right on that front.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 09:46 PM)Housh Wrote: Giants coach has his boys at 5-1.

I wonder if this hurts Brian Flore’s lawsuit.

I know that’s not fair and has nothing to do with Flores but i feel like if i were the NFL’s/Miami’s legal team i would at least bring it up.

I thought Miami was beyond stupid for letting Flores go as I think he is a good football coach. But McDaniel has them looking pretty good. But to be fair they've made a lot of moves bringing players in now and when Flores was there it seemed like they were in a perpetual fire sale.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 11:37 AM)Housh Wrote: Imagine being a coach whose workin his ass off and you see Jeff Saturday get a job opportunity that he didn’t even want lol

Imagine being a coach working his ass off and you see a broken down retread 2x-3x prior failed HC getting a job opportunity ahead of you.

(11-22-2022, 07:17 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I thought Miami was beyond stupid for letting Flores go as I think he is a good football coach. But McDaniel has them looking pretty good. But to be fair they've made a lot of moves bringing players in now and when Flores was there it seemed like they were in a perpetual fire sale.

I think a large part of Flores' problems were off the field. People just didn't like him and he couldn't keep a coaching staff together. He had 4 offensive coordinators in 3 years . He couldn't get along with his coordinators, couldn't get along with his QB, couldn't get along with his GM. 

You have to be next level amazing to stick while everyone thinks you are an asshole. He wasn't.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
So I’d have to be a total ***** to act like i never posted this.

The topic of the post is something I’ll stand by but i have to admit i was wrong about Zac.

His leadership and his playcalling are his two best qualities. His speeches make me want to run through a wall. He was absolutely qualified to be a NFL coach.
-Housh
Reply/Quote