Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TJ Johnson given a 2 year deal
Oh boy! Soooo excited about this signing. Thank you so much for keeping your Johnson within reach.

Code for, " Screw what the fans think! They don't know shit! We don't need no stinking center in this draft class that is full of talent at the position.I am the great PA & I know soooo much more than the idiot fans!"
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 04:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

This is a good signing.  So Bengals have signed O Linemen Andre Smith and TJ Johnson.  Plus Kirkpatrick and LaFell.  Bengals also talking to linebackers such as Minter and Keenan Robinson. Bengals trying to sign a veteran linebacker. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 02:37 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Oh boy! Soooo excited about this signing. Thank you so much for keeping your Johnson within reach.

Code for, " Screw what the fans think! They don't know shit! We don't need no stinking center in this draft class that is full of talent at the position.I am the great PA & I know soooo much more than the idiot fans!"

You do know TJ Johnson has started games at guard for Bengals, don't you.  7 days ago Zeitler and Whitworth gone. Since then Andre Smith resigned and TJ Johnson resigned.  TJ Johnson can play guard and center, which is a good thing.  Andre Smith who is a right tackle is going to try to play right guard and team says Bobbie Williams was a big right guard. Of course, Smith can always play right tackle also. 

It doesn't mater if fans do not find all signings exciting. The fans don't know jack.  The fans rushed out and made Tim Tebow jerseys the # 1 selling jersey and then made Johnny Manzel jerseys the # 1 selling jersey.  The fans don't know jack.  The 2009 Bengals swept AFC North and made play-offs but the fans were bored because the Bengals ran so much. After sweeping AFC North, season ticket sales were off.  So Mike Brown signed TO to be on team with OCHO and that made fans excited to buy tickets.  The team went from play-offs to a 4 win season. Again, the fans don't know jack.  It doesn't matter if fans don't find this an exciting signing.  It's a good solid signing and as you say, screw what the fans think. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 06:37 AM)kevin Wrote: You do know TJ Johnson has started games at guard for Bengals, don't you.  7 days ago Zeitler and Whitworth gone. Since then Andre Smith resigned and TJ Johnson resigned.  TJ Johnson can play guard and center, which is a good thing.  Andre Smith who is a right tackle is going to try to play right guard and team says Bobbie Williams was a big right guard. Of course, Smith can always play right tackle also. 

It doesn't mater if fans do not find all signings exciting. The fans don't know jack.  The fans rushed out and made Tim Tebow jerseys the # 1 selling jersey and then made Johnny Manzel jerseys the # 1 selling jersey.  The fans don't know jack.  The 2009 Bengals swept AFC North and made play-offs but the fans were bored because the Bengals ran so much. After sweeping AFC North, season ticket sales were off.  So Mike Brown signed TO to be on team with OCHO and that made fans excited to buy tickets.  The team went from play-offs to a 4 win season. Again, the fans don't know jack.  It doesn't matter if fans don't find this an exciting signing.  It's a good solid signing and as you say, screw what the fans think. 

I had a great gig last night playing for a couple hundred folks with about half of them being smoking hot and scantily clad sorority sisters. So, I may have had a drink or so.. Ha! 

This isn't a bad signing. I just hope that it is not used as an excuse for not taking one of this drafts promising young centers.
I trust PA about as much as I trust a chilli fart. 

That said, point taken. 
Reply/Quote
I have a strange Kyle Cook premonition about this signing. Unless Ogbuehi and Fisher take a dump on the field or Andre gets hurt, I take them at their word about Smith being the starting RG. Now, if the two tackles don't make any progress or one sucks and the other is competent, then I see the Smith signing as insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to RT if/when Ogbuehi looks like he did in 2016 and Fisher gets a crack at LT. In that case, maybe TJ is the RG.

As for the Cook reference, I could see them punting on Rust Bucket Scrodine if he continues to suck in the last year of his rookie deal. They did it with Ghiaciuc in 08 when they handed the job to Cook in Indy at the end of a lost season. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see TJ as the starting center when 2018 opens.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 02:35 AM)Joelist Wrote: That's simple.

If they put Johnson in over Bodine they are tacitly admitting Piano Man screwed up when he pushed them to trade up to get Bodine. Not admitting Piano man is a quack is more important than playing the best player.

This is the first time I've ever seen the word "****" spelled with a q and an a.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 12:48 AM)samhain Wrote: I have a strange Kyle Cook premonition about this signing.  Unless Ogbuehi and Fisher take a dump on the field or Andre gets hurt, I take them at their word about Smith being the starting RG.  Now, if the two tackles don't make any progress or one sucks and the other is competent, then I see the Smith signing as insurance.  I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to RT if/when Ogbuehi looks like he did in 2016 and Fisher gets a crack at LT.  In that case, maybe TJ is the RG.

As for the Cook reference, I could see them punting on Rust Bucket Scrodine if he continues to suck in the last year of his rookie deal.  They did it with Ghiaciuc in 08 when they handed the job to Cook in Indy at the end of a lost season.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see TJ as the starting center when 2018 opens.

Mad respect on the reference, though I worry that you're playing chess with this team's mediocrity looking out for the next heartbreak so you're ready.  I hope though that they realize that they can't succeed this year if they have mediocrity at multiple positions.  Dre at RT, TJ at center, Ogbuehi improving to being mediocre at LT, ect...  So, hopefully one descent draft pick is part of that equation.  TJ has been groomed to be a utility C/G type, but they can draft a better prospect in the middle or even at RT with them sticking to Dre being a drive blocking weapon at RG rather than a band aid at RT...though I agree Fisher could very well have to play LT.  They have a lot of picks, and though the OL class a whole is rough they'll be in position to take a future starter type at G/C or maybe groom a mid round guy like FSU's Roderick Johnson as a RT in 2018.  I'd also hope for a Westerman or drafted center to be the starter in 2018 if Bodine doesn't dramatically improve.  For now though, lets be happy with depth and continuity from Johnson instead of fearing we'll be stuck with him for two years as a plan.       
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 11:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What scares me is that if TJ has raised his level of play each year, why hasn't he surpassed Russell Bodine at C yet? To me, that means he was just really, really terrible to start off with, and now he's just kinda serviceable as a backup.

Maybe he is just now raising eyebrows...he wasn't overly hyped coming out of college, but here is his combine.  Very strong, SEC guy.  I think it showed something that they benched Bodine for a series and promptly scored.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/t.j.-johnson?id=2540251
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote