Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TJ on John Ross: 'They took his confidence'
(04-18-2020, 12:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 10 bucks says Joe Burrow tells Ross to man the f up. Then throws him a deep bomb TD

10 bucks more says he eats it...

Oh, sorry, wrong movie.

I think Burrow will help Ross as much as Ross can help Burrow, which is to say a hell of a lot.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: 10 bucks more says he eats it...

Oh, sorry, wrong movie.

I think Burrow will help Ross as much as Ross can help Burrow, which is to say a hell of a lot.  

Couldn't have better people around Ross then Burrow and Housh to help him out that is for damn sure. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: AJ and Boyd weren't benched after their first mistake as rookies. Big ***** difference man.

Yet it broke him. People get knocked completely out of the league and become successful. Marvin Lewis hurts your feelings and you can't recover. Marvin didn't cause the drops and he didn't make him quit on routes.

(04-18-2020, 04:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Boyd didn’t break out until his 3rd season, and while he’s currently a far, far better WR than Ross, he only has 5 more TD’s (15) than Ross (10), in more than twice as many games played. Ross is clearly a useful weapon.

Pointing out Ross isn’t as good as AJ is pretty silly. Few are.

And Boyd isn't as good as AJ, but was the number one while he was out, so got the most attention for defenses. People ignored Ross, and he had a couple of great games, in four years and that somehow means something, until he went back to wearing sweats on the sidelines. Only 3 of those last year, ( same as our RB ) so he is not improving anything but the experience of the trainers. Still a sub 50 catch percentage. As a UDFA, he is fine on the roster. As a 1st round pick, he is an absolute bust.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:42 PM)Destro Wrote: Yet it broke him. People get knocked completely out of the league and become successful. Marvin Lewis hurts your feelings and you can't recover. Marvin didn't cause the drops and he didn't make him quit on routes.

And Boyd isn't as good as AJ, but was the number one while he was out, so got the most attention for defenses. People ignored Ross, and he had a couple of great games, in four years and that somehow means something, until he went back to wearing sweats on the sidelines. Only 3 of those last year, ( same as our RB ) so he is not improving anything but the experience of the trainers. Still a sub 50 catch percentage. As a UDFA, he is fine on the roster. As a 1st round pick, he is an absolute bust.

... nnno he's not.

He can't finally put things together and have a good career, he's a bust.

Flashed way too much last year and 2018 to give up on him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:42 PM)Destro Wrote: Yet it broke him. People get knocked completely out of the league and become successful. Marvin Lewis hurts your feelings and you can't recover. Marvin didn't cause the drops and he didn't make him quit on routes.

Still, it was clear Marv never liked Ross to begin with. This is not the case with AJ or Boyd.

Been waiting and hoping for Ross to prove me right for years now and he just hasn't, cause in the end he just hasn't lived up 
to it. We will see how he improves with Burrow throwing to him (been working with him already this Offseason BTW). 

But hearing this from Housh sure opened my eyes on why Ross just hasn't been there mentally, not just physically.
Reply/Quote

Did John Ross improve from year 2 to year 3? Did he or did he not?
Did you see how Kyle Shanahan used Deebo Samuel in San Fran?
Yeah John Ross has been injured 
But the injury he suffered last year was not his fault 
And it has nothing to do about being soft 
Football us a game of high collision and impact 
AJ Green has missed the last 22 games 
Is ne soft ?
Reply/Quote

Only 24 games played. That’s a season and a half worth of experience. And he’s still only 24 years old.

But it’s pointless to debate with those that have already made up their minds.

Reply/Quote
Ross is the poster boy of "if"s. If's don't mean anything and results do and he has far too few of those. Flashes are not enough. Isn't that one of those knocks on Dalton? Good Andy/ Bad Andy?

Maybe Marvin saw Ross was not as good as advertised and resented him being there. Instead of proving him wrong, years later, he is still a realtive no body in the league. A combine footnote.

TJ has been mentoring Ross for years yet he still hasn't turned the corner. The Excuses: Part III by TJ don't work for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Did John Ross improve from year 2 to year 3? Did he or did he not?
Did you see how Kyle Shanahan used Deebo Samuel in San Fran?
Yeah John Ross has been injured 
But the injury he suffered last year was not his fault 
And it has nothing to do about being soft 
Football us a game of high collision and impact 
AJ Green has missed the last 22 games 
Is ne soft ?

AJ has been softer as of late, fact.
Reply/Quote
Ross was on pace to eclipse 1000 yards last year, after 8 starts. He averaged a whopping 18.1 per catch.

Not sure he really needs "excuses" anymore. He played fine. Especially considering the state of the team.

Will he ever live up to the standards placed on him (to be AJ Green caliber)? Probably not, and even if he gets 1400 yards, I have a feeling some will never be happy. Mainly because this has turned into a pretty big debate on here and some people won't be willing to concede an inch regardless of what happens.

I will say this, he needs to stay healthy, or the glass label is starting to be fair.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Only 24 games played. That’s a season and a half worth of experience. And he’s still only 24 years old.

But it’s pointless to debate with those that have already made up their minds.

Seems like a lot of time to improve. ONLY 24 games because he can't stay healthy. Run in for a TD and grabs his leg. Can't stay healthy means you can't count on him. Been the same through the league for all positions, regardless of what you do when you are in. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:59 PM)Destro Wrote: Ross is the poster boy of "if"s. If's don't mean anything and results do and he has far too few of those. Flashes are not enough. Isn't that one of those knocks on Dalton? Good Andy/ Bad Andy?

Maybe Marvin saw Ross was not as good as advertised and resented him being there. Instead of proving him wrong, years later, he is still a realtive no body in the league. A combine footnote.

TJ has been mentoring Ross for years yet he still hasn't turned the corner. The Excuses: Part III by TJ don't work for me.

TD’s win games. He’s scores them at a really high rate. Those are results. Just needs to be better between the 20’s.

Speaking of Bad Andy if he hadn’t shown up against the Saints in 2018 Ross has about 2-3 more TD’s in his stats.

Reply/Quote
"Buts" and "ifs" seem to be mandatory in a John Ross post. Potential and possibilities don't win games. That #2 WR slot was available in Cincy and he never cemented it. AJ Green had to be on a couch to get a sniff, then ran of of body.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:03 PM)Destro Wrote: Seems like a lot of time to improve. ONLY 24 games because he can't stay healthy. Run in for a TD and grabs his leg. Can't stay healthy means you can't count on him. Been the same through the league for all positions, regardless of what you do when you are in. 

Some of it has been injuries, but Marvin also benched him his rookie season. Hence TJ’s comments.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ross was on pace to eclipse 1000 yards last year, after 8 starts. He averaged a whopping 18.1 per catch.

Not sure he really needs "excuses" anymore. He played fine. Especially considering the state of the team.

Will he ever live up to the standards placed on him (to be AJ Green caliber)? Probably not, and even if he gets 1400 yards, I have a feeling some will never be happy. Mainly because this has turned into a pretty big debate on here and some people won't be willing to concede an inch regardless of what happens.

I will say this, he needs to stay healthy, or the glass label is starting to be fair.

I have probably been the biggest Ross supporter on this board but even I have to say he has not lived up to even 
close to my expectations. He has flashed though and for some to not see this is them just being blind. He could blow
up at any time and as Housh notes is as talented of a WR as he has ever seen. Housh said himself that if he had Ross's
ability he would of been one of the best WR's ever.

Probably true with how sure of himself Housh is lol

People are just different, that is all.

(04-18-2020, 05:03 PM)Destro Wrote: Seems like a lot of time to improve. ONLY 24 games because he can't stay healthy. Run in for a TD and grabs his leg. Can't stay healthy means you can't count on him. Been the same through the league for all positions, regardless of what you do when you are in. 

And yet AJ has missed 24 games in a fricking row Destro!!!
Reply/Quote
All because Marvin hated him from day 1.. Marv was horrible with this shit. He held so many young guys back. It might have been Marvs biggest flaw, besides game day coacoaching...
Reply/Quote
I'd also like to think a QB like Burrow is gonna be what puts Ross over the hump..
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:07 PM)Destro Wrote: ”Buts" and "ifs" seem to be mandatory in a John Ross post. Potential and possibilities don't win games. That #2 WR slot was available in Cincy and he never cemented it. AJ Green had to be on a couch to get a sniff, then ran of of body.

Kind of similar to the Andy Dalton discussions that go something like “if only our OL was better” or “but it’s the coaching”

Reply/Quote
But TJ has had him under his wing yet now it means something different? He had his most TDs with Marvin as coach? Was he holding him back then? What about that shoulder injury? The leg injury running into the endzone? Those on Marvin?

He's a track athlete trying to be an NFL player. He has been around long enough to show he doesn't have the mind nor body to survive in the NFL, but people want to take a small snapshot of a few games and say, well that puts him on track for "X". It doesn't work that way and I have seen passionate posts where people talk about cherry picking stats. Everyone can be on pace, but only one can win the race.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:07 PM)Destro Wrote: "Buts" and "ifs" seem to be mandatory in a John Ross post. Potential and possibilities don't win games. That #2 WR slot was available in Cincy and he never cemented it. AJ Green had to be on a couch to get a sniff, then ran of of body.

I didn't write a but or an if in my post.

You're biased to death. Admit it and move on.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote