Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TJ on John Ross: 'They took his confidence'
(04-18-2020, 12:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 10 bucks says Joe Burrow tells Ross to man the f up. Then throws him a deep bomb TD

Should have been the first offensive play of many a game.

His speed?! 
Hike!
RUN!
BOMB!
TD!

Repeat.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I didn't write a but or an if in my post.

You're biased to death. Admit it and move on.

And you weren't quoted, so why does that bother you?

Biased that he has not shown to be worth a 1st round, top ten pick to me. Just stating what has happened with him and what he has done and I am not impressed by what he has done. My opinion. You may feel different and that is fine, and doesn't hurt my feelings, but won't ask you to move on because of it. If that''s how you need to deal, so be it.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And yet AJ has missed 24 games in a fricking row Destro!!!

I didn't put a crown on AJs head. Never excused anything about him. He has been out for 24 games in a row and who has stepped up when the #1 receiver was down? It was there for the taking.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:33 PM)Destro Wrote: I didn't put a crown on AJs head. Never excused anything about him. He has been out for 24 games in a row and who has stepped up when the #1 receiver was down? It was there for the taking.
Ross did step up when AJ was deemed unable to go 
Week 1. Then he got hurt vs Pittsburgh week 4 I think 
Missed 8 games 
Reply/Quote
I will now say everything that hasn't already been said about John Ross:

There ya go.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:37 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Ross did step up when AJ was deemed unable to go 
Week 1. Then he got hurt vs Pittsburgh week 4 I think 
Missed 8 games 

He stepped up....and hurt himself....again....

He's a Bengal and I want to see him do well, but each year it is working with, TJ saying he is getting him mentally back and each year he is hurt. Wash, rinse, repeat. Is any of that a lie?
Reply/Quote
Just like we all wanted to see what Dalton could do under a new HC, I’m really curious to see what Ross can do with a new QB. Maybe a different guy who’s a little more suited to Ross’ strengths can make a difference.

I’m not giving up on him yet. He’s still young (hell he’s only a year older than Burrow), and despite what the haters say there has been signs of improvement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:41 PM)Destro Wrote: He stepped up....and hurt himself....again....

He's a Bengal and I want to see him do well, but each year it is working with, TJ saying he is getting him mentally back and each year he is hurt. Wash, rinse, repeat. Is any of that a lie?

Any given play any player can be hurt 
It's the nature of sports 
If you watched the play he got hurt on i think he had to reach above his head on a high throw from AD. his middle was wide 
Open and the Steelers player just gave him a good hit
You cannot put any Blame on Ross for that 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:50 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Any given play any player can be hurt 
It's the nature of sports 
If you watched the play he got hurt on i think he had to reach above his head on a high throw from AD. his middle was wide 
Open and the Steelers player just gave him a good hit
You cannot put any Blame on Ross for that 

Some just get hurt way more than others and he is on the high end. He had the knees in college, then the shoulder he kept on the hush, the groin...and again. Wasn't even thinking about the chest injury. Subtract that one and it is still a Mr. Glass situation. He had a TD where he pulls up lame.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:03 PM)Destro Wrote: Some just get hurt way more than others and he is on the high end. He had the knees in college, then the shoulder he kept on the hush, the groin...and again. Wasn't even thinking about the chest injury. Subtract that one and it is still a Mr. Glass situation. He had a TD where he pulls up lame.

It's 2020. He's healed from those injuries 
So what action would you take with Ross this year ?
Bench him lIke Lewis did or do you see what he can do 
With a new QB and continuity with the coaches ?
Reply/Quote
He obviously has confidence issues, and they were there before he got benched after the fumble. Im sure that brought it to the surface (thanks Merv), but Ross needs to be his own man with or without football and/or critics. Seems like he kind of needs to find his place in the world a bit. I hope he does because he looked pretty damn good before he got hurt last season drops or no drops.
Reply/Quote
Ehh, if Ross wasn't coddled enough by Dalton what chance does he have when he blows a route on Burrow?

(04-18-2020, 06:11 PM)bengaloo Wrote: He obviously has confidence issues, and they were there before he got benched after the fumble. Im sure that brought it to the surface (thanks Merv), but Ross needs to be his own man with or without football and/or critics. Seems like he kind of needs to find his place in the world a bit. I hope he does because he looked pretty damn good before he got hurt last season drops or no drops.

That fumble happened 947 days ago.  If Ross is still damaged because of that he simply doesn't have the mettle to play football at this level.
Reply/Quote
My problem isn't with Ross. I don't think he's very good, but that isn't the point. My problem is with whoever drafted him at number 9 when we all know who was left on the board. Luxury, shiny toy of a pick that hasn't panned out. Hope he does this year, but I'm not holding my breath... And I'm letting him walk at season's end.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: It's 2020. He's healed from those injuries 
So what action would you take with Ross this year ?
Bench him lIke Lewis did or do you see what he can do 
With a new QB and continuity with the coaches ?
Like they are doing. He can play, try to prove himself or hit the bricks. He to compete for the job. If he can't beat out who is on the team, let him go. I'm just taking the easy bet that he gets hurt again or performs poorer than the 1st round pick he was. Don't want to keep giving chances when each year it is an injury and an off season of, "Marvin Lewis stole my sunshine." Fumble was years ago and Marvin has been gone. To talk about it still, in 2020, is sad. Where is your mind when we are down 21 points in the 4th quarter?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:16 PM)jason Wrote: My problem isn't with Ross. I don't think he's very good, but that isn't the point. My problem is with whoever drafted him at number 9 when we all know who was left on the board. Luxury, shiny toy of a pick that hasn't panned out. Hope he does this year, but I'm not holding my breath... And I'm letting him walk at season's end.

Even if he has a nice season?

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:18 PM)Destro Wrote: Like they are doing. He can play, try to prove himself or hit the bricks. He to compete for the job. If he can't beat out who is on the team, let him go. I'm just taking the easy bet that he gets hurt again or performs poorer than the 1st round pick he was. Don't want to keep giving chances when each year it is an injury and an off season of, "Marvin Lewis stole my sunshine." Fumble was years ago and Marvin has been gone. To talk about it still, in 2020, is sad. Where is your mind when we are down 21 points in the 4th quarter?

I understand the fear of missing out mindset...as soon as we give up on Ross he could become awesome.  I have a lot of friends who are Bears fans from my time living in Chicago and they drafted mega-bust Kevin White at 7 overall and every year he was gonna finally put it together and he never did and then they cut him and it was all "Oh just watch, now he's gonna go somewhere else and light it up" and he didn't.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Ross to be good, but I am saying that we spend a lot of time demanding for accountability and wishing our QB was man enough to murder any WR who made him look bad.  What's it gonna be?

Personally, I hope as soon as Ross pulls one of the bonehead Ross moves he has pulled year in and year out Burrow walks up to him and screams at him until he runs home crying.
Reply/Quote
I loved Ross coming out of college. The guy is extremely talented and gifted with great short area quickness and long speed. That said, it's been injuries and inconsistency that have marred his career to this point. TJ is dead on in that he lost his confidence and you can see it in his play. Marv did him no favors because he wanted that PoS Reuben Foster instead. I think he can be productive, but I just don't think he can stay healthy at this point. He has all the ability to have a breakout season, but I don't think you can rely on the guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 06:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even if he has a nice season?

No... I wasn't very clear there. But even then 8 don't feel real good about re-signing him. I'd make it a relatively short deal with an easy out... Again; I want him to do well, and help us win. I think if he can get 16 games in he may be able to do that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 12:13 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Talking with Big Wille on Instagram, TJ had this to say about Ross:

'John Ross is really good. He just needs to believe in himself. 

When they flew us out there to honor us, you remember that? That game was the first touch of John Ross’ career and he fumbled. They gave him a reverse; he fumbled the ball. He didn’t play the rest of the year.

And this is the thing though, if you’re the ninth pick in the draft, you should have all the confidence in the world — that’s number one. And number two is, if you don’t give him the ball after one f------ fumble after his rookie year, do you not think his confidence is going to drop?

He sends me video of his second year [2018]. He’s not playing. They took his confidence from him, without knowing it.

This is the honest to god truth. You know me. I ain’t sugar coating sh--. John Ross can mother fu----- go. Everybody knows he’s fast. He’s quick, he can run routes, and he catches the ball. Physically, it’s phenomenal. It has to be mental. They took his confidence from him.

Part of me working with him, isn’t getting him better physically, it’s getting him better mentally.'
You worked with him the last 2 years.. hmmm... maybe someone else is messing him up
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling ZT will be going WR at the top of Round 2 because of the health issues on both AJ and Ross and also Ross other issues - he won't want a repeat of last season where injuries rapidly left us with no receivers defenses need to game plan against.
Reply/Quote