Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals looking to sign veteran backup QB.
(05-05-2020, 12:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we actually tank after taking Burrow I'd fully support him demanding a trade.  When the going gets tough we surrender.  

Then we get Trevor and then we have real competition for QB. Genius.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Guess not yet, from Taylor:

"We're set. We've got three young guys we really look forward to investing a lot of reps in," Taylor said on Friday, via Tyler Dragon of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "We think they have bright futures. We feel really good about where we're at right now."
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 11:03 AM)Destro Wrote: Guess not yet, from Taylor:

"We're set. We've got three young guys we really look forward to investing a lot of reps in," Taylor said on Friday, via Tyler Dragon of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "We think they have bright futures. We feel really good about where we're at right now."

He also pointed out that there is enough veteran presence as he, Callahan, and the QB coach are all former QBs...
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 10:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It isn't so much that he may have problems, but I like the idea of a younger team with a young leader.  And I honestly don't think a Flacco, with zero mobility, could teach Burrow anything in this offense.  I think Zac Taylor is the veteran QB.  

And I will post a separate thread about Andrew Luck's rookie season as a potential parallel to Burrow's, but Luck was drafted #1, given the reigns, and his backup was Drew Stanton, a 5 year vet with 12 starts in that timeframe.  Do you think he was really going to teach Luck anything?

I like McCown, and I guess he is supposed to be a lot like a Jordan Palmer, can say it but can't do it, but I am fine letting Dolegala and Finley compete as backups and try to develop one of them (Dolegala...I think Finley is a dud).  

The thing is McCown has proven time and time again that he’s a quality backup QB that can step in and win some games. In other words, light years ahead of Jordan Palmer.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 11:07 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: He also pointed out that there is enough veteran presence as he, Callahan, and the QB coach are all former QBs...

None will wear a helmet this season, though. 
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 11:18 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The thing is McCown has proven time and time again that he’s a quality backup QB that can step in and win some games.  In other words, light years ahead of Jordan Palmer.

I can't recall Jordan ever being asked to step in and win a game.  Kitna had to in the playoffs, and Fitz had to finish the season when Carson hurt his elbow.  I don't know of any other times a backup came in during the Palmer era.

The Dalton era saw Gradkowski, McCarron, and Driscoll, but not Jordan Palmer.  So I'm not sure why the comparison was made.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 02:46 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We have like 12 QB coaches on the the staff. We don't need a veteran QB to help teach the young guy. And we traded up for the the smartest QB in the draft last year who is under contract to hold a clipboard for 3 more years at a very reasonable price. Let the coaches do what they are paid for and mold the young QB room into what they want it to be.

I don't buy this rumor

Yeah, well, considering how well all these QB coaches did last season I'd prefer an actual QB who has won to be brought in. They did horrible with Finley and Dalton last season, just horrible.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 11:03 AM)Destro Wrote: Guess not yet, from Taylor:

Bright future in what? Selling insurance? Because Ryan Finley is probably never going to be a good NFL QB.

Reply/Quote
Appears they're handing Joe the keys:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/bengals-won-add-veteran-back-burrow/W0Aa4I1drVUQKzSu2fcvrK/
Reply/Quote
I can't believe nobody's clamoring for Johnny Football. I mean C'MON! The guy has a record after all! Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 01:47 AM)grampahol Wrote: I can't believe nobody's clamoring for Johnny Football. I mean C'MON! The guy has a record after all! Cool
The wrong kind of record...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote