Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE DOWN
It seems there is one clear consensus pick for Bengals at #5 after that we tend to be in many different camps.. and I'm guessing the Bengals are also and would not be surprised if Sewell is gone they trade back but I also would not be surprised if they keep pick.. and all the mocks I see and analyst I hear are all over the play too. Going to a fun 1st round draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm all for trading back to get more picks. We can go multiple ways with our pick like the OP states.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 02:42 PM)kevin Wrote: The Bengals biggest Draft mistake ever was not trading down and taking Mike Ditka offer of every Saints pick, plus future 1st rounds. Oh No, we just had to have Akili Smith. So we turned down a later 1 and 6 extra picks plus 2 future 1st rounds. So very weak Bengals had 7 picks instead of 14 plus 2 future Saints #1 picks.

Was Ditka like in love with Ricky or something?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 12:29 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Was Ditka like in love with Ricky or something?

[Image: Ricky-Williams.jpeg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 07:22 PM)Synric Wrote: It was a smart move at the time because they needed a left tackle and a center. It didnt work out but that's hindsight.

If who they are specifically targeting isn't there I wouldnt mind them moving back a few spots to say a QB needy team that wants to spend big to move up.

My thoughts exactly. It depends who’s available when they pick. If there’s nobody that fills a need for them in their eyes, why not trade back? Or they could pick a guy a few to several picks before his value if they are extremely high on him.

The main thing I don’t want them to do is reach for a need. If it’s a guy they are really high on then sure. But if you’re somewhat high on the guy and want to take a chance on him to fill a need, it’s just dumb. And then of course hindsight is 20 20.

Price, IMO was a reach. Most had him as an early 2nd rounder pre draft. Ragnow was gone so they just went with their next rated player. They should have traded down again for more picks and then taken him. Maybe there weren’t any takers on a trade, it’s hard to say. But hindsight says they messed that one up big time—but not as much as reaching on Og instead of drafting Bud Dupree (who was the best player on the board). Again, letting Whit walk was the biggest tragedy, because it led to all of these mistakes. We could have had Devin White or someone else if we didn’t trade down with the Bills. If they had Whit in their plans for another 4 years, they wouldn’t have reached on Og as well. They wrongly assumed he wouldn’t last another 4 years. Facepalm.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 09:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Guess we'll just disagree on our memory of the 1999 draft.

I clearly remember it being a constant debate on what order the first 3 QBs would go.

3 other players got drafted between Akili and Champ.

Regardless; it doesn't change the fact that trading back was not the biggest mistake made in that draft.

The debate was on the QB's because the top three teams all needed them.  Plus, those three guys taken in between Akili and Champ were Edgerrin James, Ricky Williams, and Tory Holt, all former All Pro's.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 09:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Guess we'll just disagree on our memory of the 1999 draft.

I clearly remember it being a constant debate on what order the first 3 QBs would go.

3 other players got drafted between Akili and Champ.

Regardless; it doesn't change the fact that trading back was not the biggest mistake made in that draft.

I get what you are saying, but anytime someone wants to give you their entire draft for a non-generational talent, its easily the biggest mistake a team could make.
Reply/Quote
Getting out of a top 5 pick is often discussed but doesn't happen a ton. There are some teams lurking between 7-12 who could be interested but there are also teams above us who are interested in moving back, which usually makes it tough.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Getting out of a top 5 pick is often discussed but doesn't happen a ton. There are some teams lurking between 7-12 who could be interested but there are also teams above us who are interested in moving back, which usually makes it tough.

I just don't see any team in the top 3  that would want to move. 

Atlanta would be the team to watch at 4!

Miami, Jacksonville, and the Jets already have a shit ton of draft capital. It doesn't make much sense that they would trade back

You can make a case that one of those teams would move back into the top 10 to get another elite player. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 04:06 PM)J24 Wrote: I just don't see any team in the top 3  that would want to move. 

Atlanta would be the team to watch at 4!

Miami, Jacksonville, and the Jets already have a shit ton of draft capital. It doesn't make much sense that they would trade back

You can make a case that one of those teams would move back into the top 10 to get another elite player. 

Jets @2 will 100% listen to offers. While they have a ton of capital they have a ton of holes. They have a defensive-minded head coach who doesn't have a great defensive player @ 2 so he moves back gets more capital and still gets an elite defensive player. Add in that Joe Douglass wants to rebuild this team and he likes picks and I think we could see some movement at 2. The other potential here is a trade with HOU for Watson which sends the draft into a complete tail spin.

Miami @3 could be in play, to move back for a similar reason as above in terms of lack of elite defensive player. Also similar they could be in play for Watson.
Reply/Quote
I think all of the teams other than Jacksonville would be open to moving down.

The Jets could very well stay with Darnold, and if they do, there's no point in sitting at #2 if you could move down and still get one of the top 2 WR
The Dolphins could as well, especially if they don't want to draft a QB.
The Falcons are interesting, but they could easily move out if QBs go 1,2,3 (which is very possible given the Texans trying to trade Watson)
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 08:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The most relevant bit of hindsight is we should have never let Whit go and then we wouldn’t have needed to trade for an injured LT out of desperation.

It all comes down to not trusting this FO.

Whit mentioned retirement so the Bengals decided to draft for the near future without Whit and actually did offer him a 1 year contract buffer which he rejected.  It hindsight it is not resigning Whit but drafting better for the future .ie it would have been better drafting D.J. Humphries in the 1st round and then coming back in 2nd round and drafting Rob Havenstein.. our line would be much better overall with those two draft picks.  the F.O. needs to get back to the success it had in those drafts from 2010 to 2013 when we acquired players like Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, Gio, Zeitler, Dre, Sanu, Jones... and/or invest a bit more in proven FAs....
Reply/Quote