Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Coverage - Kiper is awful
I dont have cable so i watched the draft on ABC. It was mostly the college gameday crew, and it was generally very good. Today Kiper is on ABC and it horrific. Had to turn it off. Everyone yelling, talking over each other. Just an ego fest.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 03:43 PM)Stewy Wrote: I dont have cable so i watched the draft on ABC.  It was mostly the college gameday crew, and it was generally very good.  Today Kiper is on ABC and it horrific.  Had to turn it off.  Everyone yelling, talking over each other.  Just an ego fest.

i dont always like Mel but he is entertaining...I wonder what happened to McShay? He and Kiper used be a good tandem I thought. 
Reply/Quote
There was a time when Mel was the only eye we had. He's now like the old WWF wrestlers they use as a gimmick late I'm their careers. They stir him up for entertainment. Mel is descent at tape, we shouldn't pay attention to his player rankings so much.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:32 PM)phil413 Wrote: There was a time when Mel was the only eye we had.  He's now like the old WWF wrestlers they use as a gimmick late I'm their careers.  They stir him up for entertainment.  Mel is descent at tape, we shouldn't pay attention to his player rankings so much.

This draft more then any previous ones, I don't think anyone had the right rankings on their boards.

A big part of that has to be directly related to Covid and not having the full college season and the combine and the social distancing and limited number of guys allowed at each event.

Honestly, this draft after round 3 really has to be looked at as a giant guessing game for almost every team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I had no issues with his opinions or player rankings. It was the interactions, ego clashing, head butting, 4 people talking over each other that put me off. It was great the first two nights with the college Game Day crew on ABC, but on the 3rd DAY it was the ESPN crew on ABC and they were awful.
Reply/Quote
I haven't watched the ESPN broadcast as long as I could control it for at least the past 10 years or so.
I never cared for Kiper or McShay.

I typically watch NFL Network, but it's seems to be getting worse and worse in regard to going to a commercial every time the Bengals pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 04:21 PM)kalibengal Wrote: i dont always like Mel but he is entertaining...I wonder what happened to McShay? He and Kiper used be a good tandem I thought. 

They were together on day 3. I know because when we drafted McPherson, McShay said "I don't scout kickers, but sources tell me this guy was the best kicker in the draft." and Kiper said something along the lines of "Well, I do scout kickers and I agree." Except there was a TON of interrupting and talking over each other throughout the course of the conversation haha.

Kiper can be entertaining though, I'll give him that. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 11:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I haven't watched the ESPN broadcast as long as I could control it for at least the past 10 years or so.
I never cared for Kiper or McShay.

I typically watch NFL Network, but it's seems to be getting worse and worse in regard to going to a commercial every time the Bengals pick.

I made the switch to the NFL Network in 2010 and haven't looked back. I've always felt their coverage was superior to ESPN's mainly because of Mayock. I know Mayock can be polarizing to some people, but I enjoy when he tries to offer up analysis on whatever pick he can while the rest of the panel is trying to talk about a random headline. I'm secretly hoping the Raiders flop and Gruden makes Mayock the fall guy, that way he can return to the Network. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I thought the NFL network coverage was horrible. I only watched day 3. But it was bad. I had to watch ESPN. Made me think I should probably find something online to watch next year instead.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:30 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought the NFL network coverage was horrible. I only watched day 3. But it was bad. I had to watch ESPN. Made me think I should probably find something online to watch next year instead.

PFF did their own draft coverage on their Youtube channel and people spoke highly of their coverage/analysis.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:33 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: PFF did their own draft coverage on their Youtube channel and people spoke highly of their coverage/analysis.

I’m watching their coverage now. Cris Collinsworth is on it. It’s low tech compared to espn and others obviously but I’m enjoying it. They have different takes than the espn crew had.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:33 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: PFF did their own draft coverage on their Youtube channel and people spoke highly of their coverage/analysis.

Nice.  Didn't think of that.
Reply/Quote
About ESPN, Booger was by far the worst of the bunch. I don't get why he's on the air at all. He was annoying for bashing the Bengals for taking a WR and not an OL, but when the Dolphins did the same thing he eased up. I'm so confident my Booger opinion is near-fact that I expect forum rep from users on these boards.
Reply/Quote
Man, I love Kiper. Love McShay. Love(d) Mayock. It's great if you don't take it too seriously- because it's not meant to be taken too seriously. Eisen, Gruden, CD... Riddick, Jeremiah, Maria, Mort... I thought Greenberg did a fine job this year (he sounded like Eisen at times lol). ESPN, ABC, NFLN... I just love the draft on every network.

The absurd number of commercial breaks today is a function of the industry's success, so you gotta take the good with the bad, but I love it all. It's one of my fav hobbies. I hope they keep doing what they're doing for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:29 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: About ESPN, Booger was by far the worst of the bunch. I don't get why he's on the air at all. He was annoying for bashing the Bengals for taking a WR and not an OL, but when the Dolphins did the same thing he eased up. I'm so confident my Booger opinion is near-fact that I expect forum rep from users on these boards.

To be fair Booger ripped on the Steelers for not picking an OL until they finally did it.
Reply/Quote
One guy who I wish could be lured to participate in the draft coverage is Greg Cosell. He probably has a full plate with his NFL Films gig, but he offers the best insight on player evaluations I've heard.

I have actually listened to the NFL Radio draft coverage since the 2016 draft. Pat Kirwan is the key draw for me.
Reply/Quote