Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV brand suggestions? my LG is done
Got a 42" LG just under 5 years ago. 5 years. Last night, the screen just went black as I watching. Tuned it over to the antenna, and it was still black though I can change channels on it and hear what was on. So I know it wasn't a hdmi connection or the cable. Needless to say I am pretty pissed it didnt even last 5 years before crapping out.

Now I plan on trying to do a home fix if I can figure out where it crapped out at, as hopefully it can be an easier fix based on stuff I read, about $60 bucks for the part.

But I am going to buy a new one that isnt a LG. Im thinking either Sony or Samsung, but all suggestions welcome from your own experience. Thanks!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We just upgraded to a 55in Sony this past winter. So far so good. Anymore they make tvs to throw away after so long. Just like everything else these days.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I agree with BengalHawk62, products are designed to have a finite lifespan, these days. If you are any good with fixing electronics, I would just go with your first idea, and buy the part. However, if a new TV is what you have in your heart, I have a Vizio that has been going strong for about 12 years. Some folks talk them down, but I've had no issues. And, we watch the heck out of that thing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yeah I am going to buy a new one regardless, probably closer to 50'', and a non-smart one hopefully. This LG one though I will tinker around and see if I can get it going. I figure the more I learn about it now better off when the new one craps out in a few years lol.

Reply/Quote
You got drunk and forgot to take you Stevie Wonder shades off didn't you? It's ok, I do it all the time.

Reply/Quote
Both great brands through the years. I've seen Sony LCDs last for a decade. My Samsung LCD still operates like it's right out of the box after 9 years. Go with the better deal.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 05:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Got a 42" LG just under 5 years ago. 5 years. Last night, the screen just went black as I watching. Tuned it over to the antenna, and it was still black though I can change channels on it and hear what was on. So I know it wasn't a hdmi connection or the cable. Needless to say I am pretty pissed it didnt even last 5 years before crapping out.

Now I plan on trying to do a home fix if I can figure out where it crapped out at, as hopefully it can be an easier fix based on stuff I read, about $60 bucks for the part.

But I am going to buy a new one that isnt a LG. Im thinking either Sony or Samsung, but all suggestions welcome from your own experience. Thanks!

All I can tell you is to do your research. I recommend using sites such as CNET and comparing models and then look for the best deal. One thing I would advise against is going into a store and comparing pictures. Often they give the better feed to the more expensive model just so they look better. WTS, I have never been disappointed with a Vizio product. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I stopped buying LG more than a decade ago when I bought two cell phones that were worthless.

I've got two Vizio's. One is about 8 years old, the other is about a year old. Big fan of both. No issues. The newer one has SmartCast, which works fine with an iPhone. I had a Windows phone until a few months ago... it wasn't supported and that kind of sucked.

I've also got a 36" that I gave to my son that's the Best Buy store brand, Insignia. 7 or so years old, no issue. And was pretty cheap.

I would recommend, though, if you can wait, TVs go on sale around Christmas and the Superbowl. If you can get yours patched up, might be worth the wait.
Reply/Quote
We just upgraded our 10 year Samsung 60" with a Visio 65". Very pleased with it so far.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 05:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Got a 42" LG just under 5 years ago. 5 years. Last night, the screen just went black as I watching. Tuned it over to the antenna, and it was still black though I can change channels on it and hear what was on. So I know it wasn't a hdmi connection or the cable. Needless to say I am pretty pissed it didnt even last 5 years before crapping out.

These newer TVs don't last like the old tube TVs      5 years is probly pretty average....    I'm on my 3rd in the last 13 years (my TV's get a lot of use though....)
Reply/Quote
Thanks for feedback. Definitely will be looking at Vizio. I also probably will wait til the holidays or soon after for a good deal. Might get a 4k too, as I plan on getting an XboneX at some point that has 4k capabilities. Using a 32 inch at moment borrowed from parents until then, while workin on this LG pos lol

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 01:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Thanks for feedback. Definitely will be looking at Vizio. I also probably will wait til the holidays or soon after for a good deal. Might get a 4k too, as I plan on getting an XboneX at some point that has 4k capabilities. Using a 32 inch at moment borrowed from parents until then, while workin on this LG pos lol

I have 2 Vizio's and couldn't be happier.  And if you're looking at 4K models, make sure it has HDR.  (High Density Resolution)
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 01:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Thanks for feedback. Definitely will be looking at Vizio. I also probably will wait til the holidays or soon after for a good deal. Might get a 4k too, as I plan on getting an XboneX at some point that has 4k capabilities. Using a 32 inch at moment borrowed from parents until then, while workin on this LG pos lol

I didn't think we could talk about xbones on this site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
One thing to remember is even within each brand there are tiers of TV. Just because Two TV's are both from the same brand doesn't mean they are the same quality of product. You want to do research on tiers within brands as it is not uncommon for one tier to have horrible failure rates and another to be perfectly fine. This is why different people will offer up such different opinions on the same brand.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 11:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: One thing to remember is even within each brand there are tiers of TV. Just because Two TV's are both from the same brand doesn't mean they are the same quality of product. You want to do research on tiers within brands as it is not uncommon for one tier to have horrible failure rates and another to be perfectly fine. This is why different people will offer up such different opinions on the same brand.

Excellent point.

Also, I'd always been given advice with electronics that it's best to buy the top of a lower level than it is to buy the lowest of a higher level.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 02:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Excellent point.

Also, I'd always been given advice with electronics that it's best to buy the top of a lower level than it is to buy the lowest of a higher level.

This is also correct. The reason for this is a lot of the "lower brands" are the off brand of the higher brands. So the off brand higher tier uses similar components to the mid to high level parts of the "Branded" versions.
Reply/Quote
I've got 2 Vizio's right now and have had excellent luck with them over last few years.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 11:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: One thing to remember is even within each brand there are tiers of TV. Just because Two TV's are both from the same brand doesn't mean they are the same quality of product. You want to do research on tiers within brands as it is not uncommon for one tier to have horrible failure rates and another to be perfectly fine. This is why different people will offer up such different opinions on the same brand.

Interesting. And how would one research this?

Reply/Quote
When I moved out from my parents, first thing I did was bought my dream tv. State of the art, flagship 65 inch Samsung 4K HDR television.

It plays like an absolute dream. I have yet to be in a theater where the quality is better, thanks in part to 4K Blu Rays...I'd definitely recommend something along the Samsung, LG or Vizio line.

If possible I also recommend you going down and looking at Rtings.com Fantastic site with a great breakdowns of TVs. You want quality? It will break it down for you? Value? That's an option. Price? That's another too. Go check it out.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote