Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TY Ozzie and Ravens fans for supporting OZ
Just a reminder of how paying a QB like he is great can kill a team. Some of us saw it, while other like Pat still don;t see it.

Key stat: 82.1 -- Flacco's passer rating since being named Super Bowl MVP in 2012. It ranks No. 36 in the NFL over that span, behind Colin Kaepernick, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Flacco has thrown 98 touchdown passes and 74 interceptions over that span, and the ongoing debate is whether his struggles are the result of his play or the lack of playmakers around him. He has dealt with injuries in recent years, suffering torn knee ligaments in 2015 and a herniated disk in his lower back last summer. Still, Flacco is one of the more durable quarterbacks in the NFL. He has started every game in nine of his 10 seasons.

Money matters: The Ravens have been overpaying Flacco for the past five years. Since 2013, Baltimore has given Flacco $112 million in salary and bonuses, getting one playoff win in return. His cap number is the fifth highest in the NFL this season, while his production last year ranks near the bottom of the league. Baltimore had no choice but to make Flacco the NFL's highest-paid player after he led the Ravens to a Super Bowl. The Ravens then made Flacco the highest paid before the 2016 season because they know they won't find a better quarterback right away. Desperate times call for disparate numbers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Tough to blame the Ravens. He held all of the cards. It was probably the most perfect way for things to break out for a player entering free agency in the history of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:08 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Tough to blame the Ravens. He held all of the cards. It was probably the most perfect way for things to break out for a player entering free agency in the history of the NFL.

You sound like a Raven's fan. Oz gambled by not signing him earlier, low balling him and put himself in that situation so 100% on the wizard. Huge mistake,  5 + year hu.

Huge mistake and mistake clock continues to run... ThumbsUp

Oz was great at one time, but the last 5 years he sucked at his job

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You sound like a Raven's fan. Oz gambled by not signing him earlier, low balling him and put himself in that situation so 100% on the wizard. Huge mistake,  5 + year hu.

Huge mistake and mistake clock continues to run... ThumbsUp

Oz was great at one time, but the last 5 years he sucked at his job

It was a no-win situation. Franchise quarterbacks do not grow on trees, so even if you don't sign Flacco, you risk several years of mediocrity because it might take that long to find an adequate replacement. And Flacco had just demonstrated that season that he might be developing into what they hoped he'd be.

In hindsight it was definitely the wrong decision, but the alternative might not have been much better.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:47 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: It was a no-win situation.  Franchise quarterbacks do not grow on trees, so even if you don't sign Flacco, you risk several years of mediocrity because it might take that long to find an adequate replacement.  And Flacco had just demonstrated that season that he might be developing into what they hoped he'd be.

In hindsight it was definitely the wrong decision, but the alternative might not have been much better.

I agree about tough position Ozzie put himself in based on waiting. But, we now know they lost 5 years, the contract still puts a noose around their necks to sign other great players and they still have a bad QB. Yes, easy to be a Monday morning QB, but in my defense I called it immediately when they signed him and Pat called me crazy.

Reply/Quote
A Super Bowl MVP. Yup, he is real terrible. He gave Baltimore a ring. The only ring the Bungals have is around their bathtub.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:33 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: A Super Bowl MVP. Yup, he is real terrible. He gave Baltimore a ring. The only ring the Bungals have is around their bathtub.

Yeah, the Ravens' current situation kind of seems like one most Bengals fans would love to have, especially the older ones. After what they've been through I'd imagine most would be willing to endure a period of mediocrity (which is still superior to their 90s) in exchange for a SB win ...
Reply/Quote
By the way, Luvnit, shouldn't it be the Ravens ownership who should be thanked for supporting Ozzy? I doubt the fans much to do with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 03:45 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Yeah, the Ravens' current situation kind of seems like one most Bengals fans would love to have, especially the older ones.  After what they've been through I'd imagine most would be willing to endure a period of mediocrity (which is still superior to their 90s) in exchange for a SB win ...

No doubt. Most Bengal fans would gladly exchange the last twenty years with the Ravens you would think.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 08:47 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: No doubt. Most Bengal fans would gladly exchange the last twenty years with the Ravens you would think.

You’d think, but the lure of having a false sense of superiority seems to be pretty strong for some of them (see the op).
Reply/Quote
Wait, so are you still trying to falsely argue that his contract has prevented the Ravens from performing well or are you now trying to claim you called the whole time that he would play poorly (outside of 2014) after getting paid?

I gave up defending Flacco last season, but that doesn't prevent me from acknowledging a team wide issue that extends beyond QB. Other teams are finding studs at WR and Ozzie is still defaulting to just drafting Bama defensive players while our TEs are all hurt or using drugs. Our play calling is garbage. You have someone with a canon for an arm and you're calling 2-5 yard passes. To Flacco's defense, his 2nd half of the season was far better than his first with 10 TDs to 3 picks compared to 8 to 7). Hopefully it improves, but with our OC remaining, I don't see it changing too much. The team has been very fortunate to get pretty impressive performances out of running backs since Ray Rice's exile (Collins and Forsett)
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 09:26 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: You’d think, but the lure of having a false sense of superiority seems to be pretty strong for some of them (see the op).

A shitty decision maker of late was what the thread was about and signing a very bad contract with Flacco, who said anything about Ravens record past 20 years? Ozzie was gold, I said so many times, but then he got old and stupid and stayed too long like a lot of the greats.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 11:34 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Wait, so are you still trying to falsely argue that his contract has prevented the Ravens from performing well or are you now trying to claim you called the whole time that he would play poorly (outside of 2014) after getting paid?

I gave up defending Flacco last season, but that doesn't prevent me from acknowledging a team wide issue that extends beyond QB. Other teams are finding studs at WR and Ozzie is still defaulting to just drafting Bama defensive players while our TEs are all hurt or using drugs. Our play calling is garbage. You have someone with a canon for an arm and you're calling 2-5 yard passes. To Flacco's defense, his 2nd half of the season was far better than his first with 10 TDs to 3 picks compared to 8 to 7). Hopefully it improves, but with our OC remaining, I don't see it changing too much. The team has been very fortunate to get pretty impressive performances out of running backs since Ray Rice's exile (Collins and Forsett)

The extra 10 million a year could have signed better players the past few years, that was my point. It was not just the massive deal, it was the lack of any exit strategy if something went south. Ozzie did it was Rice, Flacco and Pita.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The extra 10 million a year could have signed better players the past few years, that was my point. It was not just the massive deal, it was the lack of any exit strategy if something went south. Ozzie did it was Rice, Flacco and Pita.

I've been pretty critical of Ozzie recently, but are you attempting to give him flack for Rice and Pitta?

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I've been pretty critical of Ozzie recently, but are you attempting to give him flack for Rice and Pitta?

Yes, he did not learn how to structure deals with an out clause si minimal impact when player screws up. MB is the master at managing the dead money cap hits. Put Ozzie ability to find talent with MB's ability to manager salaries and dead money, the Steeler's would be challenged more in this division.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: A shitty decision maker of late was what the thread was about and signing a very bad contract with Flacco, who said anything about Ravens record past 20 years? Ozzie was gold, I said so many times, but then he got old and stupid and stayed too long like a lot of the greats.

He put himself in a no-win situation by ... winning.

Tell me that's not a problem that most Bengal fans wouldn't love to have.
Reply/Quote
Lovenut, you owe Superbowl MVP Joe Flacco an apology. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 11:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes, he did not learn how to structure deals with an out clause si minimal impact when player screws up. MB is the master at managing the dead money cap hits. Put Ozzie ability to find talent with MB's ability to manager salaries and dead money, the Steeler's would be challenged more in this division.

No doubt he needs to learn how to anticipate freak Bo Jackson injuries and domestic abuse scandals from guys formerly seen as the epitome of clean cut. 

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:47 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: It was a no-win situation. Franchise quarterbacks do not grow on trees, so even if you don't sign Flacco, you risk several years of mediocrity because it might take that long to find an adequate replacement. And Flacco had just demonstrated that season that he might be developing into what they hoped he'd be.

This would make a lot more sense if Oz had anything other than a Cinderella postseason to go off of. Foles just won a SB, but you don't see Philly groveling at his feet. Flaccos contract was a honeymoon/infatuation phase. It was ass then, and it's definitely ass now.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 08:40 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: This would make a lot more sense if Oz had anything other than a Cinderella postseason to go off of. Foles just won a SB, but you don't see Philly groveling at his feet. Flaccos contract was a honeymoon/infatuation phase. It was ass then, and it's definitely ass now.

Baltimore didn't have a Carson Wentz waiting in the wings, either.
Reply/Quote