Poll: What will happen going forward with TEE ?
The Bengals will NOT tag TEE – making him a Free Agent
TEE will get Franchise Tagged & then Traded in 2024
Bengals Tag TEE & make him play for them in 2024 under the Tag
Bengals Tag TEE & then sign him to a Long Term Deal for 2024 & beyond
Bengals Tag TEE & TEE will hold out the entire 2024 season
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tag decision on TEE coming soon – Crystal Ball - POLL
I voted no tag. Higgins did not play well last year and it is time to move on. Draft a WR.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
They will tag Tee this year, but they shouldn’t. They should sign him to a long-term contract if he wants to come back and play with us on a somewhat team friendly deal or if he doesn't want to be a part of what the team is building by working with them, then trade him for a second round pick and you can still go all out in 2024 without Tee. And by team friendly deal I mean in the range of a Keenan Allen contract of four years 80 million that to me will be team friendly and still a good deal for Tee.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:09 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I think this would be a good spot for the transition tag

Why the transition tag?

(02-02-2024, 04:26 AM)BengalBo Wrote: They will tag Tee this year, but they shouldn’t. They should sign him to a long-term contract if he wants to come back and play with us on a somewhat team friendly deal or if he doesn't want to be a part of what the team is building by working with them, then trade him for a second round pick and you can still go all out in 2024 without Tee. And by team friendly deal I mean in the range of a Keenan Allen contract of four years 80 million that to me will be team friendly and still a good deal for Tee.

I was told they already made the 20M over 4 yr offer to Tee and he turned it down.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 01:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: One of the kickers maybe? And they were able to get a deal done with Rudi the season they tagged him.

Nugent i think
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 09:57 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Why the transition tag?  

I was told they already made the 20M over 4 yr offer to Tee and he turned it down.

Oh well we definitely shouldn't be offering more than that
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 09:57 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Why the transition tag?  

All the transition tag does is allow the Bengals to match any offer that another team would make, it still guarantees the Bengals nothing in the event that they choose not to match the agreed upon offer.  Seeing how the word is that Higgins agent already refused $20M/per, it seems unlikely that the Bengals would be willing to match any offer greater than that.

If any of the Tags were applicable in this situation, I would think that the non-exclusive franchise tag would be fitting.  However, with the volume of WR talent that comes out every single draft class, I can't really envision any team willing to give up two 1st round picks to sign Tee Higgins right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The majority of the votes for Higgins getting tagged are simply emotional votes, as they don't want the inevitable to happen.

My vote wasn't emotional but rather pragmatic. I recall when AJ Green trade speculation took place the the Bengals organization indicated they aren't in the business of making other teams better. Letting Tee go makes another team better. I'll speculate they also like to honor contracts. They see it as tag Tee, Tee honors the tag, and Tee plays. I don't think they'll consider the tag might result in a disgruntled Tee.

I suppose one takeaway is that at least the Bengals have talent and success to be in this position. It would be a shame if every draft pick was a bust and players had no value to the league as free agents. We'd be a worse off team.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 10:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All the transition tag does is allow the Bengals to match any offer that another team would make, it still guarantees the Bengals nothing in the event that they choose not to match the agreed upon offer.  Seeing how the word is that Higgins agent already refused $20M/per, it seems unlikely that the Bengals would be willing to match any offer greater than that.

If any of the Tags were applicable in this situation, I would think that the non-exclusive franchise tag would be fitting.  However, with the volume of WR talent that comes out every single draft class, I can't really envision any team willing to give up two 1st round picks to sign Tee Higgins right now.

Exactly, the transition tag is by far the worst option in my opinion.  I was just wondering what the poster thought would be beneficial about the transition tag, it is very rarely used.  Although I have seen some fans confuse the transition tag with the nonexclusive tag....

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 08:14 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Living in NE Ohio I listen to my daily fill 
of Browns talk. The Browns are 18 million 
Over the cap. Amari Cooper is owed 24 million 
This year. Nick Chubb is owed big coin this year. 
The Browns can't afford Tee Higgins. They can 
Afford a Darnell Mooney but not Tee Higgins
Plus they gave up a 2nd RD pick for Elijah Moore 
Last year. The Browns front office want to 
Get a return investment on Moore. 
Plus the organization is high on Cedric Tillman.

Don't they have to be under the cap the same amount they were over cap the season prior?
Reply/Quote
FWIW, the franchise tag deadline isn't until Feb 21. Still essentially 3 weeks away.
"Soon" is subjective in this case lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 10:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All the transition tag does is allow the Bengals to match any offer that another team would make, it still guarantees the Bengals nothing in the event that they choose not to match the agreed upon offer.  Seeing how the word is that Higgins agent already refused $20M/per, it seems unlikely that the Bengals would be willing to match any offer greater than that.

Daniel Jeremiah released his Top 50 prospect rankings earlier this week.
11 WRs were in that list.
https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

This looks to be a good draft class to find a replacement for Higgins, IMO.
The TE class doesn't seem as strong as last year outside of Bowers (who would have been rated higher than all 2023 TEs).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
My head says they’ll tag him and let him play out the year on the tag.

I would personally sign him to a 4+ year deal knowing very well we may have to trade him after 2-3 years but would still be able to get a nice return then as long as he stays healthy.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, the franchise tag deadline isn't until Feb 21. Still essentially 3 weeks away.
"Soon" is subjective in this case lol.

I was in a highly Subjective mood when I wrote the Thread Title plus the thought of losing TEE had me 

feeling very Emotional.   Attitude
Reply/Quote

Nobody would.  But the tag at least allows you to make a deal with a team - whether its a first rounder or 2nd rounder, it's a hell of a lot better than at best a pick after the 3rd round for him.
Reply/Quote
What are people's thoughts on retaining Irwin (RFA) and letting him and Iosivas compete for WR2?
While we may not see quite Higgins-level performance, it might be really good bang for the buck.
Then you can go all in on DT, OL, and TE between FA and the draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 07:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What are people's thoughts on retaining Irwin (RFA) and letting him and Iosivas compete for WR2?
While we may not see quite Higgins-level performance, it might be really good bang for the buck.

that would be disastrous

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 07:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What are people's thoughts on retaining Irwin (RFA) and letting him and Iosivas compete for WR2?

They'd better land a REALLY good TE and DT if that's the case. At this point I'm convinced whatever OT we bring in will regress or be meh.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think they keep him longterm. It's all about keeping Joe happy and losing Tee would piss him off.

If it were me I would Tag & Trade but in no circumstances do you let him walk for nothing. At the very least you could get a 3rd RD pick for him. That's if you trade him in August after the longterm franchise deadline is over.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Is Boyd also gone in your scenario (lose TEE & Boyd) or is Boyd brought back as the #3 (only TEE goes) ?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 08:23 PM)depthchart Wrote: Is Boyd also gone in your scenario (lose TEE & Boyd) or is Boyd brought back as the #3 (only TEE goes) ?

Boyd also gone, yes.

Outside WRs - Chase, Irwin/Iosivas
Slot - Jones
TE - Hudson/FA/draft pick
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote