Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take a knee...
Based on what I have seen other teams do over the years marvin made the same call as any other coach would have.

i can't recall ever seeing a team kneel three straight times with that much time left unless the FG makes it a 2 score game.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on what I have seen other teams do over the years marvin made the same call as any other coach would have.

i can't recall ever seeing a team kneel three straight times with that much time left unless the FG makes it a 2 score game.

Pretty much. Especially in bad weather and a kicker who has been very up and down this year. No brainer to run
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 08:01 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: I have to disagree with you.  Kneeling would not have done much except for make them burn their time outs and because of how little time on the play is gone, they would have had the ball with a lot of time left.

Kicking the FG would have been great, but they would have had over a minute and if you factor in the return we could have lost that game in other ways.

So running was the best play call.  However, I am disgusted that Hill felt the need to get extra yardage.  He got like 6-7 yards and if he goes down right there we burn 6 seconds, they burn a TO.  We run again, if Hill doesn't convert, then another 6 seconds and a TO.  Now we have 3rd and short, we pick up the 1st and game over, we don't they burn their final TO after about 6 seconds gone again.  Kick the FG, and hope we get it.  Now they need a TD with at least 18 ran off the clock and 0 TOs.  If we miss the FG, then they still have 0 TO and we don't lose anything.

Hill's fumble is completely inexcusable, there was 0 need to fight for the extra yardage.  Seems like out of all the players, he is the one that lost his composure the most after the hit on Gio.  He seemed to feel that he had to prove something by getting a 1st down there.  A 1st down run would have only made them burn a TO and we would have been able to run just a little bit more off the clock, would have been great, but not at all needed.  I am sick, because I am just a fan.  I am not a coach, nor a player, however I keep seeing players like Hill, not understand situational football and for them to make the money they do playing this game, they should know what to do in certain situations.  For this one, Hill needed to be more concerned with securing the football and not worried about getting a big run.

This is the correct call. Could you imagine if we took 3 knees, kicked, and lost? People would be freaking out over conservative Marvin. It was easily the right call and he cannot be blamed for Hill's **** up. I have no doubt McCarron, Hue, and Marvin all stressed ball security in that situation.

Taking the knee is extremely stupid when you have a chance to ice the game. Obviously, don't go too risky with throwing the ball or anything, but try to pick up ten yards in three runs where you tell the RB to hold onto the everloving **** out of the ball. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:56 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Pretty much. Especially in bad weather and a kicker who has been very up and down this year. No brainer to run

You have to make sure your RB isn't fighting for yards. Tell him to make safe plays and end the game. If you get a first down even better, but your goal is to make them use their TO and kick a FG anything else is a cherry on top.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:03 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You have to make sure your RB isn't fighting for yards. Tell him to make safe plays and end the game. If you get a first down even better, but your goal is to make them use their TO and kick a FG anything else is a cherry on top.

Yep. That's on Hill. Not the call. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yep. That's on Hill. Not the call. 

Really, nobody would take a knee.  That's more hindsight than anything else. 

On a side note--do we always have to have a kicker we can't completely trust?

It just really scared me putting the ball in Hill's hands there.  If Gio hadn't gone down, he would have probably gotten the ball.   Burkhead, maybe?  I know he would have had two hands on the ball.  Just really scary to give the ball to a guy who fumbles in that moment of all moments.  What do you think the last words spoken to Hill were before that play?

That game came down to dependability.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:12 PM)McC Wrote: Really, nobody would take a knee.  That's more hindsight than anything else. 

On a side note--do we always have to have a kicker we can't completely trust?

It just really scared me putting the ball in Hill's hands there.  If Gio hadn't gone down, he would have probably gotten the ball.   Burkhead, maybe?  I know he would have had two hands on the ball.  Just really scary to give the ball to a guy who fumbles in that moment of all moments.  What do you think the last words spoken to Hill were before that play?

That game came down to dependability.

Yes, just like kick returner, we are fine with retreads who can be semi-competent at best. 
Reply/Quote
LOL at folks saying the correct thing to do was take a knee.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:03 PM)MrRager Wrote: This is the correct call. Could you imagine if we took 3 knees, kicked, and lost? People would be freaking out over conservative Marvin. It was easily the right call and he cannot be blamed for Hill's **** up. I have no doubt McCarron, Hue, and Marvin all stressed ball security in that situation.

Taking the knee is extremely stupid when you have a chance to ice the game. Obviously, don't go too risky with throwing the ball or anything, but try to pick up ten yards in three runs where you tell the RB to hold onto the everloving **** out of the ball. 

Exactly.  If we take a knee and miss the FG, Marvin would still be criticized if the Steelers win.

Or worse, we kick the FG and score a TD.  Then on the Steelers drive (provided the get a touchback), they have to go 80 yards and have 1:30 or more to do so, and they do get the TD.  People would be going ape over Marvin not trying to end the game with 3 run attempts.
Reply/Quote
I agree with trying to run it. Make the Steelers use their timeouts.

Plus, they gained 6 yards on the first run. Pick up 4 yards and the game is automatically over.

People blame Marvin for being "conservative". He does the most sensible thing and now he's an idiot?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 10:33 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I agree with trying to run it. Make the Steelers use their timeouts.

Plus, they gained 6 yards on the first run. Pick up 4 yards and the game is automatically over.

People blame Marvin for being "conservative". He does the most sensible thing and now he's an idiot?

You will never change Marvin haters or Andy haters on this board.. that is just how it is
Reply/Quote