Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Take the freaking points
(10-10-2022, 11:01 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Too many variables, maybe the game flows differently or not. , but doesn't seem to take into account that NEITHER OFFENSE was moving the ball well. I'd still rather force Tucker to make 2 FG's cause our D was doing a good chance at keeping them out of the EZ.

Again, on the road in a tight game, you take the points and the lead. Put the pressure on the other team. Don't let the momentum shift and get the crowd back into it. At home, you can get away with that, because the crowd will still have your back.

I love to see teams going for it, but only if necessary and we weren't at that point yet.

Cincinnati wasn't going to take the lead with the FG. They were going to tie it up. The rest of the variables are accounted for in the calculations. It doesn't mean it is infallible - again, it is just a tool. I personally have no issue with the decision. You do. We disagree, and that's fine. 
Reply/Quote
I think Baltimore was stupid as hell for taking the points when they did. They could have easily gotten those 2 yards and then scored the touchdown to break our backs, but they went with a field goal instead.

I feel the same way about our goal line stand. Going for it to break Baltimore's back is definitely the better choice.

It's just the play call that was complete and utter shit.

It only looks like the wrong decision in hindsight because we lost by 2 points (and because the play was complete garbage).
Reply/Quote
Shovel pass is an easy score if the RT does his job. He didn't. There's a reason he got a talking to coming off the field. That said, with hindsight, we win if we kick. With the way both defenses were playing, I think I would have kicked there.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:15 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Shovel pass is an easy score if the RT does his job. He didn't. There's a reason he got a talking to coming off the field. That said, with hindsight, we win if we kick. With the way both defenses were playing, I think I would have kicked there.

Calling any play for your WR5 in that situation is not my favorite.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 06:59 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Take the play calling away from him it is Callahan's offense let him call the plays before Zac sinks this ship.

Zac has built a good team and culture, but he is trash at play calling. For those that say Brian is calling the plays watch the game you see Zac yapping into the headset before every play Brian could not call the plays if Zac is constantly yapping on the headset, so Zac is calling the plays.

Nah, it's actually by committee. Lapham was talking about it this morning, and that maybe they need to streamline the process. There's Brian, and whoever is the analytics guy, Zac, and another offensive coach pooling suggestions. Zac has final say. Burrow has options. Lap thinks they're overcomplicating it. Seems like he may be right.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: Shovel pass is an easy score if the RT does his job. He didn't. There's a reason he got a talking to coming off the field. That said, with hindsight, we win if we kick. With the way both defenses were playing, I think I would have kicked there.

No necessarily, not even in hindsight. The Ravens moved the ball at will the last two drives, including a 91-yard drive where I think they could easily have gotten the first down and probably the TD. On the last drive, they still had three time outs and moved through the defense like a knife through butter. They didn't even need 4 downs. They had only 1 third down the entire last drive and that was 3rd and 2.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 06:38 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Quit calling people simple minded that is a personal attack on the poster.

No it's not. Telling people their take is dumb is a personal attack. 

It's getting close to winter but i shouldn't be seeing any snowflakes yet. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: This two things are not exclusive, also Burrow has missed plays that have been there, tonight pointed could out couple times, he had Boyd open in middle, one probably for a TD.  Just as coaches have to adjust so do young QBs.. and as i stated before, selling a play is important, Burrow needs work on that for sure.

This has been a team failure on offense with our two elite players not playing elite but more blame goes to coaches I agree

Jerbert didn't play very well this weekend. Does that make you sad?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:57 AM)Nepa Wrote: No necessarily, not even in hindsight. The Ravens moved the ball at will the last two drives, including a 91-yard drive where I think they could easily have gotten the first down and probably the TD. On the last drive, they still had three time outs and moved through the defense like a knife through butter. They didn't even need 4 downs. They had only 1 third down the entire last drive and that was 3rd and 2.

We needed 6 there. Not so much what it does for the actual score, which is huge, but you had a defense flat-out tired in a 15 play drive and I can count on maybe a couple fingers the amount of times a Bengals team in the past several years has demoralized an opponent physically.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:26 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t have the problem with the play call, something they were not expecting at all, i have problem with execution and personal.. i rather have Taylor in there and was obvious that Collins missed assignment 

Besides the play calling, execution has been atrocious a lot of the time this year. It feels like they're fighting themselves to simply run a series of plays, way too much of the time.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No it's not. Telling people their take is dumb is a personal attack. 

It's getting close to winter but i shouldn't be seeing any snowflakes yet. 

Another personal attack why don't you read the rules of the message board since the mods don't enforce them. At least with some posters they don't others get ban. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Besides the play calling, execution has been atrocious a lot of the time this year. It feels like they're fighting themselves to simply run a series of plays, way too much of the time.

Which to me points to what are they doing in practice.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:42 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The outside variables don't matter. It's based on probability of winning the game based on situational decisions. 

You are telling me that you wouldn't go with the option that gave you a higher probability of winning the game? That's just absurd to me. 

Some people just really, really hate math. 

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 06:59 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Take the play calling away from him it is Callahan's offense let him call the plays before Zac sinks this ship.

Zac has built a good team and culture, but he is trash at play calling. For those that say Brian is calling the plays watch the game you see Zac yapping into the headset before every play Brian could not call the plays if Zac is constantly yapping on the headset, so Zac is calling the plays.

I agree.   I want to see what Callahan can do solo so we know what we have in him.

Zac has put a good team together and created a culture players want to come to Cincinnati for.  He has a value.  But whatever the cause is the play calling has been terrible and needs fixed.   This is a way of at least finding out the exact source of the problem and determining if the solution is in the house.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:08 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Another personal attack why don't you read the rules of the message board since the mods don't enforce them. At least with some posters they don't others get ban. 

He said it was a "simple-minded WAY", which, in the real world, means the action taken was a simpl-minded approach. It had nothing to do with insulting anyone. 

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:14 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree.   I want to see what Callahan can do solo so we know what we have in him.

Zac has put a good team together and created a culture players want to come to Cincinnati for.  He has a value.  But whatever the cause is the play calling has been terrible and needs fixed.   This is a way of at least finding out the exact source of the problem and determining if the solution is in the house.

Yep

That's what I'm begging for. Put somebody in charge of the offense other than ZT. There's just no way to hide it anymore, he's not getting it done.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, let Burrow scan the field. If they want to sell out to take away Chase hit Boyd,  Hurst, or Mixon there.

What in the world are you guys talking about??  Take the freaking points when you have the chance, no matter if you're on the road or not.  For the second week in a row, Zac goes for it on 4th down and gets stopped when the FG would have been a gimme.  We have one of the best kickers in the NFL and for us to gamble on 4th-down, when we don't need to gamble, and come up empty-handed is asinine.  Saying we have a great defense when the Ravens have the best kicker in the NFL is also silly.  The last 9-points they scored were from FGs.  One was from 50+. 

We did this against Miami and it cost us the lead in the 3rd-quarter.  This week it cost us the game. 

ZAC, Take the freaking points when you can get them, utilize Money Mac, and stop gambling on 4th down when there isn't a need to do so. Or else, ppl are going to start calling for your job. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

That's what I'm begging for. Put somebody in charge of the offense other than ZT. There's just no way to hide it anymore, he's not getting it done.

and it could allow for Zac to focus on situational football, adapt in real time, consider the voices of all his coaches and staff, etc, etc. It opens up more opportunity for Zac to do other things as a head coach if his OC is running that show.
Reply/Quote
Our execution all year has been bad to say the least. Now is this a practice issue? New players (Collins) just not being up to speed yet? I'm not sure but a lot of the issues are self-inflicted.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Calling any play for your WR5 in that situation is not my favorite.

And that's a fair point. I didn't like the Philly special, I did like calling the shovel....it was just executed very poorly and to your statement, not ideal personnel. They got that 2pt conversion in the AFCCG to Taylor, and it was a surprise to KC. I would assume that was the thought there....no one would be expecting Morgan. He didn't have a chance though, the guy Collins was supposed to block blew up the play. Like others, I would have liked to see Mixon get a couple of cracks, or even Perine. 

Reply/Quote