Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Takeaways From NFL Opener and Relation to Bengals
(09-07-2018, 12:07 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I prefer the Eagles cheerleaders outfits to the Ben-Gals
need photos for comparison purposes.. Popcorn
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 12:23 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: The only thing I realized is the Falcons are in the same position the Bengals were in last year with just a way better offensive line. They need to fire Sark yesterday. They have way too much talent to struggle scoring points like they have. Matt Ryan is 1/20 on endzone throws to Julio the last 2 years. That is scheme. They hired someone to be OC who had never done it before. He isn't any good. He's not going to improve. They should move on now and salvage their season. Their defense is way too good and so is their offense.

Their Defense has really improved the last couple of years true. Correct about their OC, terrible playcalling.

Think Beasley went down to injury as well as Neal though, will have to see how serious these injuries were...

Still need to see us play the Colts but i definately think we will have a good chance against the Falcons when we
play them if our O-line is gelling by then.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 12:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Their Defense has really improved the last couple of years true. Correct about their OC, terrible playcalling.

Think Beasley went down to injury as well as Neal though, will have to see how serious these injuries were...

Still need to see us play the Colts but i definately think we will have a good chance against the Falcons when we
play them if our O-line is gelling by then.

I think overall what people are sleeping on when it comes to us playing games against these strong teams is that we have a LEGIT #1 shutdown corner for the first time in a while.

WJ3 can contain Julio. Our front line can get pressure. If anything wins in this league, it's the ability to sack the QB, and defend the pass. If you take Julio away from Ryan, he is facing a much harder game.

I personally think WJ3 is our MVP. If you take him out of our lineup, it makes the biggest impact. He can swing us 3 games IMO, just from his ability to prevent the opposing team's best WR from scoring TDs. 

Neal's injuries were scary, hope he is ok. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 10:02 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: freeman's first run went for 20 yards... he got 5 carries after that. the play calling was awful

(09-07-2018, 12:23 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: The only thing I realized is the Falcons are in the same position the Bengals were in last year with just a way better offensive line. They need to fire Sark yesterday. They have way too much talent to struggle scoring points like they have. Matt Ryan is 1/20 on endzone throws to Julio the last 2 years. That is scheme. They hired someone to be OC who had never done it before. He isn't any good. He's not going to improve. They should move on now and salvage their season. Their defense is way too good and so is their offense.

This is the number one reason the Falcons are struggling right now IMHO - play calling.

Like whodey and fozzie are saying the Falcons are in the same offensive hole the Bengals had been in under Zamp. Way to predictable, way to easy to defend.

The Falcons come in in jumbo sets and run it every time, they go spread and throw it every time. No back sets inside the 10 ??? They might as well have been yelling out the plays to the Eagles.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Falcons OC looking for a job soon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 12:37 PM)thillan Wrote: I think overall what people are sleeping on when it comes to us playing games against these strong teams is that we have a LEGIT #1 shutdown corner for the first time in a while.

WJ3 can contain Julio. Our front line can get pressure. If anything wins in this league, it's the ability to sack the QB, and defend the pass. If you take Julio away from Ryan, he is facing a much harder game.

I personally think WJ3 is our MVP. If you take him out of our lineup, it makes the biggest impact. He can swing us 3 games IMO, just from his ability to prevent the opposing team's best WR from scoring TDs. 

Neal's injuries were scary, hope he is ok. 

Great post Thillan, great point about WJ3 and our pass rush. These two things alone will give us a shot against
anyone including the Falcons who looked pretty damn terrible in the biggest part in winning games, scoring TD's.

Neal's injuries did look scary. Surprised he came back before the 2nd one. He is a big part in them stopping the
run cause they have smaller, faster Linebackers that can get mauled.

The thing i think our Team needs to get much better at is the run game. We need to be able to stop the run and
run the ball and we might have a shot at the whole thing. The Eagles are great in the run game on both sides.
Reply/Quote
Also, side note - why didn't Matt Ryan throw the ball low to Julio on that out route to end the game? Even as a fan, I feel like it's pretty obvious that if you make Julio go airborne, then he can just easily be pushed out of bounds.. why not just have him use his body to try and box out the defender and catch it while going down?

Really poor execution there from my viewpoint. One second left, so at least give yourself a chance to be in bounds lol. The guy had no shot.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 12:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: need photos for comparison purposes.. Popcorn

Normally I wouldn't to not upset the CoC.

But since this is done with the spirit of research behind it...

[Image: a7b_cheerwebcheerweb01.jpeg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
My takeaways from the game...

I didn't see "great" defense as much as sloppy offense. I also saw some questionable non calls by the officials.

Matt Ryan was all over the place with his throws. Remember this is a guy that the experts have as the 5th best QB in the league, right now. As some have mentioned, the drawback of having such a talented WR like Julio can sometimes lead to bad decisions by the QB, but Ryan didn't even give Jones a chance on some of the throws. Hell, I even have Ryan as the 5th best passer in the league, though I do credit his success to being due to Jones. Maybe Ryan just needs to have everything line up perfectly in order for him to win a SB.

As to when we play the Falcons in a few weeks, I hope that Ryan remains erratic.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 12:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Normally I wouldn't to not upset the CoC.

But since this is done with the spirit of research behind it...

[Image: a7b_cheerwebcheerweb01.jpeg]

Naw, I like the BenGals outfits better..... we just need the Eagles Cheerleaders in them....
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 10:02 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: freeman's first run went for 20 yards... he got 5 carries after that. the play calling was awful

He got injured....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 12:37 PM)thillan Wrote: Neal's injuries were scary, hope he is ok. 

He's out for the season with a torn ACL

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
#1 Glad we didnt overpay to keep Sanu.
#2 The refs need to get their act together. That was a clear drop by the TE that was reviewed clearly on the ground moving. That is not a catch. They reviewed a Julio catch and said no catch when he was in bounds. The Julio no catch probably cost them the game.
#3 I thought i was watching reality show about refs and there happened to be a football game on in the background. Way too many penalties and then huge missed calls. Wtf. Get it together.
#4 Dalton is a better QB than both that played.
#5 We need more RPO
#6 Guys were winded and dropping like flies. We need to use heqvy substitutions week 1 and stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 07:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: #1 Glad we didnt overpay to keep Sanu.
#2 The refs need to get their act together. That was a clear drop by the TE that was reviewed clearly on the ground moving. That is not a catch. They reviewed a Julio catch and said no catch when he was in bounds. The Julio no catch probably cost them the game.
#3 I thought i was watching reality show about refs and there happened to be a football game on in the background. Way too many penalties and then huge missed calls. Wtf. Get it together.

#4 Dalton is a better QB than both that played.
#5 We need more RPO
#6 Guys were winded and dropping like flies. We need to use heqvy substitutions week 1 and stay healthy.

I'm with ya on the reffing. That TE 'catch' was no catch at all. 

I'm alone on this one but i DO think the Julio Jones 'catch' should have stayed as called. Not saying it wasn't a catch but it did move around a decent amount as he slid out of bounds. I think the case could be made for no catch. If was called a catch on field, shoulda stayed that way as well.

They seem to be taking the approach of 'leave it how it was called if in doubt'.. but I have a feeling that will only apply in SOME cases. Gonna be a lot of reffing gaffs with this wishy washy rulebook.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 07:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: #6 Guys were winded and dropping like flies. We need to use heqvy substitutions week 1 and stay healthy.

With the forecast of heavy rain, the dome in Indy will be closed. That will remove the heat and humidity that contributed to last nights issues, though first game stamina is always an issue.  Lets hope for lots of 3 and outs for the defense

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

I though the same thing.  We would be KILLING our OC for doing that.  Sarkesian (sp?) had horrible play calling, especially in the red zone.  I think Peterson just let Atlanta coach themselves out of the game and did his best Marvin Lewis (just play to not lose) and had a couple big plays ready when needed.  

If Atlanta's game plan was stupid, Philly's was conservative, but it narrowly worked so they will be praised.  

Just watching the game, Atlanta looked like the better team but made some really dumb decisions.  I would have thought they would run more and make Philly's defense chase while being spread out to cover a 3-wide attack.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 09:15 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: 4. Depending on Jessie Bates play, the game week 4 against the Falcons could be difficult. Julio Jones looked unstoppable. Will be interesting to see if WJ3 and Bates can keep him in check

I didnt see this. I thought Darby did a great job holding Julio in check save for a few plays. All really good WRs are going to make a few plays each game no matter who is guarding them.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 10:44 AM)Beaker Wrote: I didnt see this. I thought Darby did a great job holding Julio in check save for a few plays. All really good WRs are going to make a few plays each game no matter who is guarding them.

Funny thing is I agree with you, Darby played a hell of a game. Even so, Julio had 10 rec for 169 yards, and could have had 51 more if the challenge reversed into a catch.
Reply/Quote