Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Takeaways from the draft
1) This team will be very run heavy. This is supported by the selections of Jonah, Sample, Jordan, and Trayveon.

2) The OL was not set with Hart and Miller. They selected Jonah and Jordan, plus they reportedly tried to trade up in the 2nd for another OL that fell out of the first.

3) The TE will be used a good amount as a run blocker. The Bengals clearly wanted someone who proved they can block rather than go with a more prominent, experienced pass catcher.

4) The Bengals seem satisfied with their WRs and pass rushers. This is supported by no WR or DE being drafted and the only DT being more of a project.

5) The Bengals went for high character guys who had leadership skills. Pratt and Davis were defensive captains.

What were some of your takeaways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Found it interesting don’t know if it’s true we would have taken Jonah williams if both he and D Bush were on the board in the first. It will be interesting to see if they give him looks at LT or RT?

Really like the RB selections, I hope we can put the Oklahoma kid on the IR for the year and let him truly heal up

Obviously LBer is still a huge need. Maybe we get Lee from
The Jets.

Surprised we didn’t grab a WR, would have loved K Harmon from NC StTe late. (So we can finally cut Cody Core)
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I think you nailed it.

I think ZT planned his work and he's working his plan. I think this team has suffered many times in seasons past under ML from not having a true identity, not having a real plan for long term success. They just sorta threw different crap on the wall every game hoping something stuck.

The point you make at being satisfied with our receivers is one of the main things I'm dying to see ! What happens with Ross ? How much will our RB's be used receiving ? How much motion and on and on.

I know I've watched many Bengals games over last several seasons that it seemed our receivers couldn't get open even if they were facing only 1 DB ! Our they really that bad ? Was it our lack of running game ? Were we just to predictable ?

I think a lot of that comes down to coaching, scheme, gameplanning and it seems ZT has a plan. Here's to hoping it works Cheers
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:11 PM)corpjet Wrote: Found it interesting don’t know if it’s true we would have taken Jonah williams if both he and D Bush were on the board in the first.  It will be interesting to see if they give him looks at LT or RT?

Really like the RB selections, I hope we can put the Oklahoma kid on the IR for the year and let him truly heal up

Obviously LBer is still a huge need. Maybe we get Lee from
The Jets.

Surprised we didn’t grab a WR, would have loved K Harmon from NC StTe late. (So we can finally cut Cody Core)

UDFA Stanley Morgan will make the team.  He sounds like a beast with high motor.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) This team will be very run heavy. This is supported by the selections of Jonah, Sample, Jordan, and Trayveon.

2) The OL was not set with Hart and Miller. They selected Jonah and Jordan, plus they reportedly tried to trade up in the 2nd for another OL that fell out of the first.

3) The TE will be used a good amount as a run blocker. The Bengals clearly wanted someone who proved they can block rather than go with a more prominent, experienced pass catcher.

4) The Bengals seem satisfied with their WRs and pass rushers. This is supported by no WR or DE being drafted and the only DT being more of a project.

5) The Bengals went for high character guys who had leadership skills. Pratt and Davis were defensive captains.

What were some of your takeaways?

Good analysis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
My biggest takeaway is that we have a coach that places a HUGE importance on the O-line.

Thank God!!
Reply/Quote
My main takeaway was this draft was insanely weak in the position we needed most: Linebacker.
After we missed out on the Devins, there was no real opportunity to definitively upgrade our LB core from this draft. So they addressed needs elsewhere, for the most part. Pratt will be an upgrade over the likes of Hardy Nickerson, who never should have been playing on defense to begin with, but it'll still be a weakness going into Training Camp.

The other major takeaway for me was that the Bengals seem confident that they'll be able to extend Green and/or Boyd this season.
They drafted absolutely no WRs, so our depth chart is currently:
2 guys in the last year of their deals (Green, Boyd)
a guy who so far has been a top 10 bust (Ross)
a few late round picks who have done nothing with their opportunities (Core, Malone, Tate)
a guy who is basically just a return man (Erickson).

If they don't re-sign Green and Boyd, then our depth at WR is insanely pathetic in 2020. So the fact that they didn't even throw some depth there tells me they have deals that they're confident will be finalized with Green and Boyd by the beginning of the season.

Or they just don't know what's going on with their own roster.
Reply/Quote
I took away that Zac Taylor plans to build his team from the inside out. I prefer this approach over loading up on skill players when we have average at best lines.

I also see a run heavy plan which better suits our personnel than trying to win shootouts. If we can run the ball, we put more of the offense in the hands of our most talented player (Mixon) and play to the strengths of our current offensive line group not to mention we keep our exploitable defense off the field more.

I think that Dalton is very solid in his position with this new staff and barring a complete faceplant this year he will be signed to a contract extension next season.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 11:52 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My main takeaway was this draft was insanely weak in the position we needed most: Linebacker.

(edit for brevity)

Or they just don't know what's going on with their own roster.

I mostly agree with your post.  I do like Pratt as a WLB and he has potential to move inside.  I'm praying Malik is learning his craft as he has insane athletics.   The 6th rounder is a head scratcher and special teams pick.

I would have rather had a WR in the 2nd or 4th as well and see more value than a third TE.  Again, I like Sample, but not that high.  

My take away is they are revamping the offensive line.  I think they want Jonah at LT and Jordan at RT, Price, MIller and Hart.   They are obviously more focused on offense at this point which is probably smart job security.  I seriously doubt the talent to do this but we'll find out.  
Reply/Quote
The staff has confidence in our next to last place defense and hopes like KC our offense will dominate enough to make up for defense.
Reply/Quote
It really seems like Taylor knew what type of players he wanted and stuck to his plan. Was it a sexy draft no, but it seems like it was a very good one. One thing that I like about the new staff is that there should be long term stability with the offense as long a coach Taylor calls the plays (as long as they win.) Through the Lewis years we had a lot of changes with the offensive coordinator. Even if they ran the same system, each person called the game differently.
Reply/Quote
One big takeaway I have is that Zac Taylor and Duke Tobin (and the rest of the front office) are on the same page for what they plan to do with this team. Listening to the Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham podcast, Lapham said this draft was going to be heavily decided by Tobin, much more than when Marvin was here, as Marvin had a lot of say. It's fairly common knowledge that Tobin is the de facto GM (although not by official title). It's obvious what Taylor's pitch was to them when he interviewed and they all bought in. He wants big guys with good character and he wants to establish the run to help open up the pass game.

I do have lingering concerns about the defense, which was historically terrible last year (see 500+ yards allowed in three consecutive games for the first time ever). Hopefully players coming back from injury, new coaching, and the couple of new players can help them turn the corner.

I'll be interested to see how much ZT really wants to stick to the run game if they fall back 2 or 3 scores early because of the porous defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:25 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: The staff has confidence in our next to last place defense  and hopes like KC our offense will dominate enough to make up for defense.

I think we just had too many needs to fill in 1 draft or they would have selected some more defenders.
Reply/Quote
They said it.  They meant it.  They’re here to represent it.

When ZT came in…
They said it: Andy Dalton is our guy and we think he can do well in our offence
They Meant it: They had a chance to draft Dwayne Haskins and 2 shots to get Drew lock and didn’t draft either.

When rumors of trading John Ross came up…
They said it: We are confident in John Ross and he will be a big part of what we do
They meant it: They didn’t draft a single wide receiver in the draft, not even in the late round.  I’ll admit I am one of the people that has lost faith in Ross and wanted to them to take Parris Campbell in the 2nd round.

In the off-season...
They said it: We want to build a team of high character guys
They meant it: Cut Vontaze Burfict in the off season

Leading upto the draft is lying season.  It’s very easy and in some situations understandable to come out say we believe in our “player X” and then do something different in the draft.  Eg. Arizona Cardinals.

I’m pleasantly surprised, that what the Bengals staff came out and said publicly, they have meant and stuck too.  
Reply/Quote
Biggest takeaway? Draft Joe Mixon to your fantasy team next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we just had too many needs to fill in 1 draft or they would have selected some more defenders.

If they strengthen the running game that helps the defense out as well. Best cure for a bad defense is to keep them off the field.
Reply/Quote
My takeaway is that coach Taylor and Duke Tobin determined that the OL had to be addressed and they went and did that. Not only did they spend their first draft pick on Jonah Williams but they attempted to trade up in the second round to get another OL. Since that didn't work, they then traded up into the fourth round to get an OL- Michael Jordan.

I also noticed that the Bengals did not draft a DE or a WR. I hope that means that they have confidence in young and/or unproven players Like DEs Willis, Lawson, and Hubbard and WRs like Ross and Malone.
Reply/Quote
Biggest takeaway is the direction of the offense. Run heavy and likely looking to attack via play action down the field. Taylor is bringing the Rams’ blueprint to Cincinnati, which I like. I also really like the selection of Anderson. Dude is supremely talented but oft injured. Hopefully that changes because he can run very, very well.

Defense is looking to be a weakness again which is disappointing but my fingers are crossed that the offense looks much improved.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:25 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: The staff has confidence in our next to last place defense  and hopes like KC our offense will dominate enough to make up for defense.

(04-29-2019, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we just had too many needs to fill in 1 draft or they would have selected some more defenders.
What Pistons said you can't fix every need on draft Day. 
With that being said a healthy Vigil and aa health Lawson this Defense will be a lot better along with Pratt at LB . 70% of defense is Nickle anyways so 2 Lbers at most will be on the field. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
My biggest takeaway from the draft is that they went in with direction and purpose. It's pretty easy to deduce that getting better at blocking was mission #1, and they seem to have achieved that. They also addressed the next biggest weakness, the LB position. Pratt may not appear to be the gem of the draft, right now. But, I see him filling out to his man weight of around #255, and being the WLB for a good long time, should he remain healthy. And that's not to forget that they re-signed Preston Brown, who should be completely healthy to start the year. At full power, I like him as our MLB. Nick Vigil is quietly developing into a reliable SAM, and should only continue to get better. Another veteran, perhaps a cap cut addition, would fill out the LB room nicely.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote