Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Takeaways from the draft
(04-29-2019, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we just had too many needs to fill in 1 draft or they would have selected some more defenders.

This right here.

Too many holes to address in one draft.

ZT had to stick to the plan and get what he could.

This again is why FA is so important.

I'm only hoping we get some players from other team's cut-downs.

The LB group is not only suspect but also thin.

Nickerson should be cut immediately. 

Malik could be a "wait and see" but I hope they don't hang their hopes on him for too long.

On offense Malone, Core, and Tate should be walking the thin line IMO.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think you nailed it.

I think ZT planned his work and he's working his plan. I think this team has suffered many times in seasons past under ML from not having a true identity, not having a real plan for long term success. They just sorta threw different crap on the wall every game hoping something stuck.

The point you make at being satisfied with our receivers is one of the main things I'm dying to see ! What happens with Ross ? How much will our RB's be used receiving ? How much motion and on and on.

I know I've watched many Bengals games over last several seasons that it seemed our receivers couldn't get open even if they were facing only 1 DB ! Our they really that bad ? Was it our lack of running game ? Were we just to predictable ?

I think a lot of that comes down to coaching, scheme, gameplanning and it seems ZT has a plan. Here's to hoping it works Cheers

Exactly. Exactly. And exactly.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 07:57 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: On offense Malone, Core, and Tate should be walking the thin line IMO.

They're evidently happy with (or are at least intrigued by) our wide receiver group. Pretty surprising they didn't draft a single one.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:20 PM)NKURyan Wrote: They're evidently happy with (or are at least intrigued by) our wide receiver group. Pretty surprising they didn't draft a single one.

Yes. I agree. It all really depends on Ross. IF Ross can be semi-productive, we have 3 Good WR's. Last year, we only had 2 productive WR's though.

I find it encouraging that they tried to trade up for another offensive lineman too. It shows they weren't satisfied with the line...as they shouldn't be. Kind of contradicts with the fluff PR pieces about Hart and Miller.

As to the WR point...I think we just have more needs than picks. And with lower draft picks, sometimes you have to double down on a position group.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:20 PM)NKURyan Wrote: They're evidently happy with (or are at least intrigued by) our wide receiver group. Pretty surprising they didn't draft a single one.

Wouldn't be surprised one bit to see a vet WR picked up that's cut from another team, or any of the WRs they have deeper in the roster beat out by a UDFA.

Core, Malone, or Tate are gonesville in my opinion.

Simmons clinging to one for special teams play probably being a deciding factor.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Look at how our skill positions mirrors the Rams

Rams #1 = Robert Woods, Bengals #1 = AJ Green
Rams slot/posession = Cooper Cupp, Bengals slot/posession = Tyler Boyd
Rams fast little guy = Brandon Cooks, Bengals fast little guy = John Ross
Rams RB = Gurley, Bengals RB = Mixon
Rams TE = Everett/ Higbee, Bengals TE = Eifert /Uzomah (Sample)
Rams QB = Goff, Bengals QB = Dalton

I like our skill players better than the Rams in almost all of those matches. So if ZT can get out of our skill players what McVey gets out of his, we may have something going here.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:56 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Core, Malone, or Tate are gonesville in my opinion.

Not sure about that. I really do think if they were looking to replace them they would've picked someone - there were good WRs to be had during those mid round picks.

Malone was hurt most of last season, wasn't he? I seem to remember that he had a really offseason last year with Ross before getting banged up, and thought he did OK when he saw the field two years ago. I put him in the same category as Ross - has potential, but has yet to put it to use. Maybe ZT can.

Core is a special teams guy so he may stick solely for that.

Gotta figure Tate was a project from the get go, but fans got a little overly excited about him and he wasn't ready yet. Think he needs and gets some time.

I wouldn't be shocked if they brought in a veteran guy, but I think I'd rather just go with youth. More likely to hit on something there, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:36 PM)Beaker Wrote: Look at how our skill positions mirrors the Rams

I like our skill players better than the Rams in almost all of those matches. So if ZT can get out of our skill players what McVey gets out of his, we may have something going here.

Just gotta catch up with their offensive line!
Reply/Quote
I was happy with the results of the draft. Loved the first pick. And honestly, Sample could end up being a great pick. For our style of offense, a run blocking tight end is a need. Sounds like he can catch and get open, too--we'll see. It'd be nice to get a Heath Miller, Jason Witten type tight end. Someone big that can block and make good catches on 3rd downs.

The rest of the draft I felt like we made some good value picks, and picked some good boom or bust players late as well. Got a couple backs to compete for the 3rd spot. Got another guard. Our offensive line looks a lot better than a week ago. We've got potential. And we added a couple linebackers that were captains on their respective clubs.

You can tell the coaching staff tried to draft leaders...leaders that are smart and want to learn and get better. That was the common theme I witnessed. You could tell how much Jonah Williams, particularly, wants to be great. You have to want it to get anywhere. A lot of the players that flame out in this league don't really want to put in the work and learn how to get better. The elite players are constantly learning and improving.

Not a sexy draft. But we drafted a lot of really good team players--players that have more of an impact than people know. A trench draft is never sexy, but it all starts up front. Also, I like the Wren pick. We've been missing a big guy since Peko left. Hopefully Wren ends up better than Peko. Our run D needs a big body at DT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My Takeaways? They want to win now with a solid running game while protecting our QB. We had the skill players besides a great blocking TE, now we have him in Sample. With Miller and Jonah Williams now here there are so many options with this O-line. I think Jonah starts out at RT even if he ends up being the LT down the road. Miller will be the RG most likely. Another year for Price to get healthy and he should start to become that stud Center for us.

Dalton, Mixon, Green, Boyd, Sample, Eifert Ross should all be salivating.

Plus we addressed Linebacker well with Germaine Pratt who in my opinion was the 2nd best LB in this Draft.

Gonna be an exciting year barring injuries my friends.

We should be able to beat the Steelers now with a HC that is not a Steelers fan and we should have just as good a chance as anyone in the Playoffs if this coaching staff is anything like they are showing here. Having a badazz running game in December and January is how you go on a Championship run. Play Action will be set up perfectly if we have that said badazz running game.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:36 PM)Beaker Wrote: Look at how our skill positions mirrors the Rams

Now do the OL  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote