Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Advantage of Teams in Cap Hell
I'm curious how much the Bengals will try to take advantage of this unusual situation this offseason. 15 teams are showing negative cap space before signing any draft picks and some teams are in REALLY bad shape.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

New Orleans is $105M over the cap and could be forced to cut/trade one or more of their stud O-linemen. And others like the Eagles($51M) & Atlanta ($33M) recently signed older veterans that would have huge dead cap amounts (ie- cutting these players would make their situations worse) so other players would have to go. Point is, there could be an unusually large pool cap casualties available this offseason.

Focusing their 1-2 bigger signings to these players could have an extra bonus. I think it's no secret that the Bengals love compensatory picks. It was their bread and butter during the Marvin era. At some point in the next few years, I think they'd prefer going back to the strategy of maximizing comp picks. Maybe this year?

I don't think it would surprise many people if both Lawson & Jackson signed elsewhere this offseason. And while I don't see either qualifying for a 3rd round comp pick, maybe they'd bring 4ths?

I'll stop rambling. The coffee hasn't kicked yet and I need to go shovel snow. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 08:20 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'm curious how much the Bengals will try to take advantage of this unusual situation this offseason. 15 teams are showing negative cap space before signing any draft picks and some teams are in REALLY bad shape.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

New Orleans is $105M over the cap and could be forced to cut/trade one or more of their stud O-linemen. And others like the Eagles($51M) & Atlanta ($33M) recently signed older veterans that would have huge dead cap amounts (ie- cutting these players would make their situations worse) so other players would have to go. Point is, there could be an unusually large pool cap casualties available this offseason.

Focusing their 1-2 bigger signings to these players could have an extra bonus. I think it's no secret that the Bengals love compensatory picks. It was their bread and butter during the Marvin era. At some point in the next few years, I think they'd prefer going back to the strategy of maximizing comp picks. Maybe this year?

I don't think it would surprise many people if both Lawson & Jackson signed elsewhere this offseason. And while I don't see either qualifying for a 3rd round comp pick, maybe they'd bring 4ths?

I'll stop rambling. The coffee hasn't kicked yet and I need to go shovel snow. Thoughts?

Media discussions have led to one conclusion, if you are not at the top of the FA class, you will most likely get paid at or close to league minimum.  As such, there will be a TON of mid tier talent available that will be that would upgrade the depth of most teams but unable to command a commensurate deal to do so. 

My personal opinion, I think many players are aware of what is going to happen, and we will see more players chase a ring with a contract for peanuts to sign on with a contender.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we're going to see some pretty insane purging of rosters once the Free agency period begins. I think there will be some valuable free agents out there to sign.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 12:53 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think we're going to see some pretty insane purging of rosters once the Free agency period begins. I think there will be some valuable free agents out there to sign.

The real question as the OP mentioned, will the Bengals take advantage of the situation? I’m not confident they will but if they do, will they make the right moves?

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The real question as the OP mentioned, will the Bengals take advantage of the situation? I’m not confident they will but if they do, will they make the right moves?

I hope so. I kind of wonder how free agency will be impacted by the salary cap being projected to lower. I could see teams in cap hell just starting their rebuilds this season. That may lead to high quality guys either being on the trade block or being cut altogether. I don't know what New Orleans plans are, for example, but they are 100 million over the projected cap and Brees is apparently retiring. So they won't be that competitive next season unless they make some huge trade for a QB and they have a lot of guys who need to be cut immediately.

It kind of makes you wonder, would New Orleans be willing to trade Terron Armstead, their pro bowl LT, for a 2nd or 3rd round pick considering he is 29 years old and 1 year away from a massive extension, right in the period of time when they won't be competitive as they rebuild and shed cap?

I'd at least pick up the phone. Of course, expecting a team to part with a highly prized asset like a pro bowl LT is rare and they may want more than a day 2 pick for him, but they need to shed cap space somehow and they need to save money however they can (Armstead isn't a perfect example, because even if they trade him, they will incur some dead cap, making him not an ideal player to part ways with, but I think the premise of trading draft picks for guys on their last year or 2 of an expensive contract would be appealing for teams that need to shed a lot of cap fast.) 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:27 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Of course, expecting a team to part with a highly prized asset like a pro bowl LT is rare

Not in our world. LOL

Reply/Quote
I agree there will be players scrambling for a job or to get paid close to their old salary in 2021. I think those willing to sign for peanuts to chase a ring is always overstated by fans. Football players careers are already short to be paid premium dollars, so most want the money.

I don't blame them, most are not Big Ben or Brady who have paid over 200 million in just salary, not counting endorsements. Years ago, much like Tiger Woods, Brady made more in endorsements than salary (tour money for Tiger).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 12:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Media discussions have led to one conclusion, if you are not at the top of the FA class, you will most likely get paid at or close to league minimum.  As such, there will be a TON of mid tier talent available that will be that would upgrade the depth of most teams but unable to command a commensurate deal to do so. 

My personal opinion, I think many players are aware of what is going to happen, and we will see more players chase a ring with a contract for peanuts to sign on with a contender.

I think fans place more value on chasing a ring than players do. Most players realize how short an average NFL career is, and will take the money over the ring. Winning the Super Bowl is like a 40 grand payday and that's it, other than bragging rights. They aren't going to trade that and take a contract that pays them less to play just to go to a contender, unless they are nearing the end of their career and have already made their millions. While being a Super Bowl Champion QB is one thing, being a Super Bowl Champion lineman is bleh...
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think fans place more value on chasing a ring than players do. Most players realize how short an average NFL career is, and will take the money over the ring. Winning the Super Bowl is like a 40 grand payday and that's it, other than bragging rights. They aren't going to trade that and take a contract that pays them less to play just to go to a contender, unless they are nearing the end of their career and have already made their millions. While being a Super Bowl Champion QB is one thing, being a Super Bowl Champion lineman is bleh...

Agreed. I think it's usually more of the 10 year veteran types that have had 2-3 big contracts that are more willing to sign cheap deals with contenders. An extra $200-500k per year means a lot more for the late round/UDFA guys going into their second contract. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think fans place more value on chasing a ring than players do. Most players realize how short an average NFL career is, and will take the money over the ring. Winning the Super Bowl is like a 40 grand payday and that's it, other than bragging rights. They aren't going to trade that and take a contract that pays them less to play just to go to a contender, unless they are nearing the end of their career and have already made their millions. While being a Super Bowl Champion QB is one thing, being a Super Bowl Champion lineman is bleh...

$124,000 for the Chiefs last year. $211,000 total for the playoffs and Super Bowl win.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: $124,000 for the Chiefs last year. $211,000 total for the playoffs and Super Bowl win.

It's gone up, the last time I checked the winners got like 40K and the losers got 20. Of course that was awhile back. But the point remains, players earlly in their careers will take more salary over trying to get a ring.
Reply/Quote