Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Responsibity
(09-11-2018, 05:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote:  why can't we stop worrying about the big play over the top and tighten up the coverage the entire length of the field?

Because if we stop worrying about the big play over the top then we give up more tds over the top.

Tell me which team in the league does not give up any short OR long pass completions.  If what other teams do is better then why do they give up more tds, have fewer interceptions, and allow opposing QBs to have higher passer ratings than the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 05:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: . I'd like to see where we rank on stopping opponents on 3rd down. Even Marvin said our D needs to improve on 3rd down. 

Over previous 5 years ('13-'17) Bengals PASS defense allowed 36.1% of third downs converted.  They rank 15th, and are just slightly better than the league average of 36.5.  However it is interesting to note that only two teams in the league faced more third down passes than the Bengals (911) over that span.

In the red zone the Bengals pass defense only allowed 29.6% of third downs converted to rank 9th in the league.  League average is 32.1%.

Inside the ten yard line they were even better ranking third with a 28.0 3rd down conversion percentage.  League average is 38.4%.
Reply/Quote
Just to clarify my opinion i think Hubbard’s playing time had zero effect on the game
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since Marvin became our head coach the Bengals pass defense ranks

4th in interceptions
6th in passer rating
7th in fewest tds allowed

If you look at just the 5 most recent seasons ('13-'17) Bengals pass defense ranks

FIRST in interceptions
2nd in fewest tds allowed
2nd in passer rating

There are lots of legitimate reasons to bash Marvin.  His pass defense is not one of them.

Explains the premium he places on 1st Round corners. Luckily, most of the pan out just fine. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote