Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking a break from Jungle Noise Mock
So we have the 1st pick... whip dee do.

Doesn't really change my approach and I would still take OLine... OLine.... and OLine. However that won't happen and now even more so, will not happen.

So with that said... here we go.

Round 1. Joe Burrow... I think this is a mistake, but there is no denying that Joe excites the fanbase and the NFL will fawn all over him like they did with Palmer. So no matter how much he fails and struggles, it won't be his fault. Which will make fans happy. Only possibly making the playoffs once or twice will make his fans happy. Of course we have to make the playoffs, but we will see.

Round 2. Jedrick Wills OT... if we have to take Burrow number 1, then we NEED to protect him. The failures of our last QB were due to an abhorrent OLine. Hopefully Wills is there, he might not be but if he is then he would be the best selection since we missed on the Georgia products of Thomas and more than likely Kindley. With Williams playing LT (Since Wills can only play RT) this hopefully sets the LT and RT spots on the OLine.

Round 3. Joe Bachie MIKE LBer... our defense has been terrible. Bachie is a great run stopper and with RB 8 in Baltimore a LBer that can sniff out running QBs and make them pay is what we desperately need. He isn't bad in pass defense as well.

Round 4. Anfernee Jennings... Another great run stopper and fast. Very fast. Will make RB 8 think twice about keeping the ball..

Round 5. Logan Stenberg OG... Not ideal, but we do need OLine help bad and OG is a huge need. With Wills playing RT, Williams playing LT and Hopkins at OC, hopefully Stenberg will be there in the 5th round, and hopefully he can pick up the speed of the NFL.

Round 6. Justin Jefferson WR... well this is a hope of a fall. However if we are taking Burrows, why not grab a guy that Burrows is familiar with and can help Burrows out at the pro level. Green may not be here and if not then the need of a WR jumps up and will be an earlier selection, but as of now, I see Jefferson falling and us getting extremely lucky to get him in the 6th round.

Round 7. Rodney Clemons.... A solid player that could improve our safety play.
Reply/Quote
Jedrick Wills has been the blind side protector for 2 seasons on the right side. Also tackle is tackle now. Right Tackle Left Tackle is a thing of the past. Some players feeling more comfortable moving at one position but all in all if you can play tackle you dan play tackle.

Justin Jefferson will go at least day 2.

Joe Bachie is a gap filler. He has very little athleticism struggles moving laterally scraping and is not good in man or zone coverage. He fits best as a 3-4 ILB filling run gaps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 07:57 PM)Synric Wrote: Jedrick Wills has been the blind side protector for 2 seasons on the right side. Also tackle is tackle now. Right Tackle Left Tackle is a thing of the past. Some players feeling more comfortable moving at one position but all in all if you can play tackle you dan play tackle.

Justin Jefferson will go at least day 2.

Joe Bachie is a gap filler he has very little athleticism struggles moving laterally scraping and is not good in man or zone coverage. He fits best as a 3-4 ILB filling run gaps.

Wrong.... LT is not the same as a RT... the NFL has tried to move in that direction but it has only produced subpar OLine play.  If a guy like Wills fits only at RT, then you are a fool to try and play him at LT, knowing that he will struggle.

I don't doubt that Jefferson will go earlier, but there is a chance that he falls as well.

Bachie is just as good as the other LBer prospects... IMO...  I am not sold on this class, which means it is really deep and the level of play is outstanding or it is terrible, either way we won't lose anything by waiting.

So I would take Bachie in the 3rd since we do need LBers badly and he, to me... I stress that it is only my opinion, is the same as Murray or Simmons.  Who some on here like.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:06 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Wrong.... LT is not the same as a RT... the NFL has tried to move in that direction but it has only produced subpar OLine play.  If a guy like Wills fits only at RT, then you are a fool to try and play him at LT, knowing that he will struggle.

I don't doubt that Jefferson will go earlier, but there is a chance that he falls as well.

Bachie is just as good as the other LBer prospects... IMO...  I am not sold on this class, which means it is really deep and the level of play is outstanding or it is terrible, either way we won't lose anything by waiting.

So I would take Bachie in the 3rd since we do need LBers badly and he, to me... I stress that it is only my opinion, is the same as Murray or Simmons.  Who some on here like.

Wrong. Tackle is tackle alot of the best pass rushers are left edge defenders. You're left and right tackle have to both be excellent pass protectors and run blockers. The only difference now is the footwork which it takes a couple months to get down to muscle memory.

Tackle is Tackle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Wrong. Tackle is tackle alot of the best pass rushers are left edge defenders. You're left and right tackle have to both be excellent pass protectors and run blockers. The only difference now is the footwork which it takes a couple months to get down to muscle memory.

Tackle is Tackle.

Again you are wrong.... yes there are teams just throwing guys out there to play LT when they are really RTs, but that doesn't mean they are LTs and can play LT.

Give me guys like Williams and Thomas that can and has played both sides at a high level.  Not a guy that plays LT in college but is better suited for RT in the NFL... unless you want him to play RT.

The OLine play in general has been bad and this is one of the main reasons.... people like you thinking a tackle is a tackle.  When they are actually different.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:17 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Again you are wrong.... yes there are teams just throwing guys out there to play LT when they are really RTs, but that doesn't mean they are LTs and can play LT.

Give me guys like Williams and Thomas that can and has played both sides at a high level.  Not a guy that plays LT in college but is better suited for RT in the NFL... unless you want him to play RT.

The OLine play in general has been bad and this is one of the main reasons.... people like you thinking a tackle is a tackle.  When they are actually different.

https://theathletic.com/1023509/2019/06/12/there-is-no-longer-a-distinction-between-left-tackles-and-right-tackles/

Great read try it.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:06 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Wrong.... LT is not the same as a RT... the NFL has tried to move in that direction but it has only produced subpar OLine play. 

Actually, I think what Synric is saying is more true than not.  If you watch the entire NFL, you'll see that teams are putting speedy edge defenders on that side of the line, as well now.  The days of hiding your "plodding, mauling run-blocker only" Tackle on the Right, are fast disappearing.

If you don't believe me, have you taken a look at Bobby Hart in action?

But, I do like the spirit of your mock.  Willis is a good pass protector, as well as run blocker, so he should be a great pick.  Not so sure about Bachie, but Jennings might be gone by the 4th, so you may want to reverse those two.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:22 PM)Synric Wrote: https://theathletic.com/1023509/2019/06/12/there-is-no-longer-a-distinction-between-left-tackles-and-right-tackles/

Great read try it.

How about you tell me why guys that play RT don't succeed in the NFL as LT?

How about posting college RTs that have success as LTs in the NFL.  Not just pro bowl success or playing either.  Legitimate elite playing shutting down elite LDEs?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, I think what Synric is saying is more true than not.  If you watch the entire NFL, you'll see that teams are putting speedy edge defenders on that side of the line, as well now.  The days of hiding your "plodding, mauling run-blocker only" Tackle on the Right, are fast disappearing.

If you don't believe me, have you taken a look at Bobby Hart in action?

But, I do like the spirit of your mock.  Willis is a good pass protector, as well as run blocker, so he should be a great pick.  Not so sure about Bachie, but Jennings might be gone by the 4th, so you may want to reverse those two.

The theory is that they are the same... the fact is the article is wrong.  Tackles aren't just tackles... sure you can play a RT as a LT, but you won't get the same production from someone that has played RT and move them over to LT.  Just look at Smith this year when we had to play him at LT.

The blindside has to be protected a bit more due to the QB normally facing away from that defender.  The QB should see the RTs defender through his peripheral vision and be able to assist the RT in avoiding the rush.  This is why left handed QBs need a reshuffling of the OLine, to protect the new blind side.  Probably a reason or so few lefty QBs in the league.
Reply/Quote
Tackle is tackle - sure.

Teams are putting their best guys at both tackle spots. HOWEVER, some guys can't make the switch form back and forth from the left side and right side. It's not the same and there is a fair amount of adjustment.

That being said, I would prefer to get a true RT, a guy that has played on the right side for his college career.
Reply/Quote