Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Taking a deeper look at LaFell
(03-31-2016, 11:33 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I am confused?  How is Dansby not going to get playing time?  When Burfict comes back...unless something really strange happens...Dansby and Burfict will be on the field most every snap...Dansby is known for his coverage skills... The guy played 85% of the snaps for Cleveland just last year... I cannot see anything less here...

(03-31-2016, 11:40 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Dansby actually played 1,029 snaps out of 1,045 total defensive snaps for Cleveland last season for 98.5%.  I don't think he will get 98.5% of the snaps as he did in Cleveland.  I doubt he even gets 85%, but I would agree he will likely get the majority of the snaps.

(03-31-2016, 11:52 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Even better...I could not remember the number...Just do not think that he comes off the field on passing downs...that is his strong suit...

(04-01-2016, 11:33 AM)3wt Wrote: This.   He'll be the first SAM we've had in a long time that is a 3 down backer.   Doesn't mean we have to play him every down, but he should be a significant - hopefully massive - upgrade in coverage.   He should play a lot of downs.

And to the OP thanks for the work on LaFell's stats.  He is definitely not a replacement for MLJ.   But his numbers look to make him an upgrade from Sanu and a reliable target.

Yeah, this all makes me think Dansby will have significantly more snaps than guys like Lawson, Harrison and Hawk.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, this all makes me think Dansby will have significantly more snaps than guys like Lawson, Harrison and Hawk.

I was just thinking of how we run so much nickel defense, and usually our SLB comes off the field for that.

That said, you guys are right. Dansby is really good in coverage so maybe he'll be staying on the field more than those guys.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, this all makes me think Dansby will have significantly more snaps than guys like Lawson, Harrison and Hawk.

Why is AJ Hawk even on the team?  Nervous
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was just thinking of how we run so much nickel defense, and usually our SLB comes off the field for that.

That said, you guys are right. Dansby is really good in coverage so maybe he'll be staying on the field more than those guys.

Dansby is our best cover Backer right now, i figure if there is a LB on the field in the Nickel it is Dansby.

Followed by Burfict and Vinny.

(04-01-2016, 02:25 PM)magikod Wrote: Why is AJ Hawk even on the team?  Nervous

Probably no reason to cut him at this moment. From what i have heard it would save us 1.4 mil to cut
him if or when we do. If we draft a LB early i expect us to cut him after Burfict gets back or maybe even
if we don't draft one. Flowers could battle him for that last spot easily if Flowers can stay healthy IMO.

Saw nothing special from Hawk last year, he wasn't terrible but nothing special.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was just thinking of how we run so much nickel defense, and usually our SLB comes off the field for that.

i dont think its always the SAM backer that comes off the field just the weakest cover backer.. When harrison was here it was him...

Then we had hawk as the base sam and Lumar as the nickle. so hawk and Rey M would come off the field and Laumar on it.

Dansby can help and hopefully dawson in the nickle this year. Cause V Rey was bad at it.
Reply/Quote

Because Hawk is going to have a monster second year in the system of coarse. Ninja Regarding LaFell, foot injuries take forever to get over because it just messes up your entire game, everything. I am confident he will return to 2014 form and at the very least will succeed in the slot as a #3 option. I'm excited.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 03:04 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Because Hawk is going to have a monster second year in the system of coarse. Ninja Regarding LaFell, foot injuries take forever to get over because it just messes up your entire game, everything. I am confident he will return to 2014 form and at the very least will succeed in the slot as a #3 option. I'm excited.

Haha, yeah I'm hoping LaFell gets to 100% by training camp. Lets not rush anything, or it will make it worse.

AJ Hawk is a nice guy and all, but we need to move on from him. He is not the same player that he used to be.

-magikod  Ninja
Reply/Quote
After reading this take from a Pats fan, I think we'd be wise to still take a WR at #24.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 02:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was just thinking of how we run so much nickel defense, and usually our SLB comes off the field for that.

Yeah.  He will insure that Taylor Mays never sees the field (if he makes the team).  I'd move Dansby to the middle, and shift Maualuga back to SAM... but I have no say in these matters.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

To compete for a roster spot in camp, like all the others.  I think his chances just got real slim..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To compete for a roster spot in camp, like all the others.  I think his chances just got real slim..

I know, I'm just being a sarcastic douche bag.  Hilarious

I had high hopes for Hawk coming in last year, but I think his time in stripes is very limited.
Reply/Quote
The reason Hawk sticks is that unless someone beats him out is his versatility.
The guy is still a valuable role player who can play all 3 spots off the bench.

The same reason Tate wont go away.
No one seems to be able to rise up in Pre-season and take his job either.

ATM Flowers would be the odd man out.
Bengals coaching staff prefers wily vets.
Reply/Quote