Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ’s decline...
I've asked this before, but what does a clearly aging AJ Green offer this team that Auden Tate does not?

If you watch their actual routes they look almost identical. The one exception in their play is Tate has shown the ability to go and get some balls that AJ has not. Outside of that, they're pretty much the same exact player.

Auden Tate is already under contract next season for $920,000. He's also 23 years old. Do we really need to bring back a clone of him, who will be 32, with significant injury history?

Not to mention, we still need a burner. We need someone who can stretch the field. Green, nor Tate, can offer that. So let's assume we go out and get one via the draft or in FA. Let's call them "Mystery Burner"

You've got Boyd, and Higgins that are clear cut ahead of Green and Tate. Then you add in Myster Burner to hopefully start or see a decent amount of work. Do you really need 2 Auden Tates to add to this group? Is one not enough?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 04:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: He is 159th out of 162 qualifying players in yards/target.  I mistyped 158th earlier.  That is worst in the league amongst WR's and it isn't even close.  He averages 4.6 yards/target.  The next worst WR is Nkeal Harry, ranked 143rd and averaging 5.4 yards/target, nearly a yard more.

The only reason he is putting up anything resembling WR3 numbers is he is getting an insane number of targets given his production.  You can get any WR ok looking production stats if you force feed them the ball enough.

Correct and I'm aware of that.

Of course it's all, "what-ifs?" but how different would his numbers look if he was able to haul in the 2 he should've had (V Colts and Browns), not to mention the opening game TD?

And if Joe didn't miss him in the first game too. So many missed opportunities...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 05:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And if Joe didn't miss him in the first game too. So many missed opportunities...

Wide receivers already have "missed opportunites" built into these numbers.  When you're using yards per target, missed opportunies are built in throughout the entirity of the group.

If you start adding catches he should have made to his totals, and you start reversing misthrows by Burrow, then you have to go through and account for this for each and every receiver.  What you'll most likely find if you do this, is that he ends up in pretty much the very same spot.

You can't lazily look at what could have been for our team or our player, and not to do it for every one else.  AJ Green isn't the only receiver to have dropped a pass he should have caught, or to have a QB overthrow him.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Another absolutely horrendous game from our former great WR. 0 catches on 5 targets, no separation whatsoever, and some infuriating lack of effort on a couple plays.

AJ is one of my favorite Bengals of all time. I own the man’s jersey. He was a total joy to watch for many years, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a drastic decline in play like this from a former elite player. Maybe it’s because he was out so long, and with other players it’s usually more gradual?

I’ve certainly seen enough though. I’m not even interested in bringing him back on a team friendly deal at this point. We HAVE to move on after this season. He’s gone from being a non-factor, to actively becoming a negative out there.

We’ve got our big play guy now in Tee Higgins. Use that money on OL, DL, CB, TE...anything, idc. Just not a 33 year old WR who’s heart clearly isn’t it anymore.

Yes, wish AJ the best after this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 02:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How does anyone take you seriously?  I've never seen a less informed person present themselves more confidently.  It's actually quite amazing.

2-4 years???   Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

A "team friendly deal" on multi-year deal @ 7 mil?   Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

But you are right about one thing.  You do definitely need a mentor at WR.  And it can't be Tyler Boyd with only 5 years in the league.  I mean look at the Chiefs.  They've got their mentor in... checks notes... a 27 year old Sammy Watkins (same age as Boyd in 2021).  Wait a minute... 
This is a funny post.

I feel like truck adds valuable post and information on the board consistently.

He's usually measured and thoughtful in his posts.

He may not always be right but atleast he doesn't overtake to everything and make hyperbolic post.

You on the other hand...
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 05:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Of course it's all, "what-ifs?"

(11-19-2020, 05:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Wide receivers already have "missed opportunites" built into these numbers.  When you're using yards per target, missed opportunies are built in throughout the entirity of the group.

If you start adding catches he should have made to his totals, and you start reversing misthrows by Burrow, then you have to go through and account for this for each and every receiver.  What you'll most likely find if you do this, is that he ends up in pretty much the very same spot.

You can't lazily look at what could have been for our team or our player, and not to do it for every one else.  AJ Green isn't the only receiver to have dropped a pass he should have caught, or to have a QB overthrow him.

I don't even know why I'm responding, when you clearly didn't look at the very first words of my post...

Don't expect me to respond anymore to anything you write; waste of my time (and yours).

(11-19-2020, 05:29 PM)motoarch Wrote: This is a funny post.

I feel like truck adds valuable post and information on the board consistently.

He's usually measured and thoughtful in his posts.

He may not always be right but atleast he doesn't overtake to everything and make hyperbolic post.

You on the other hand...

I appreciate the kind words.

I'll still die on the, "AJ isn't done and can still have value," hill, but I will admit when I'm wrong and if I'm off-base in my opinion.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 05:31 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't even know why I'm responding, when you clearly didn't look at the very first words of my post...

Don't expect me to respond anymore to anything you write; waste of my time (and yours).

I appreciate the kind words.

I'll still die on the, "AJ isn't done and can still have value," hill, but I will admit when I'm wrong and if I'm off-base in my opinion.

What is perhaps most relevant about this discussion is:  "Who more closely resembles what the Bengals want?".  I think the Bengals want AJ to retire a Bengal.  I think they want to help him get to the HOF.  That will be a huge challenge given the financial implications you guys have discussed.  I know they love him internally.  

Who is AJ right now?  I have no idea.  One thing I no longer want is a guy (or more specifically group of guys) that look completely uninterested in playing against teams like the steelers.  

How much of this is on the coaches?  AZ has found ways to keep LFitz involved despite a declined set of skills, but I don't want to move AJ to the slot in lieu of having Boyd already.  

Is he still fighting an injury?  I have no idea, again.  His age and his performance makes him appear to be a very limited value when guys like Auden Tate provide a potentially better skill set for millions less.  

Either way, it is going to be a very difficult decision for both team and AJ.  
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2020, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What is perhaps most relevant about this discussion is:  "Who more closely resembles what the Bengals want?".  I think the Bengals want AJ to retire a Bengal.  I think they want to help him get to the HOF.  That will be a huge challenge given the financial implications you guys have discussed.  I know they love him internally.  

Who is AJ right now?  I have no idea.  One thing I no longer want is a guy (or more specifically group of guys) that look completely uninterested in playing against teams like the steelers.  

How much of this is on the coaches?  AZ has found ways to keep LFitz involved despite a declined set of skills, but I don't want to move AJ to the slot in lieu of having Boyd already.  

Is he still fighting an injury?  I have no idea, again.  His age and his performance makes him appear to be a very limited value when guys like Auden Tate provide a potentially better skill set for millions less.  

Either way, it is going to be a very difficult decision for both team and AJ.  

Nice post, will always love AJ but I find it to be an easy decision to move on myself.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 11:59 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: With Los gone and A.J. seemingly done here I hope we can make a run at Thuney in free agency.  Draft an ot in round 1 finally get a decent line going again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green is so done and needs to go,period!!!!! Zac Taylor needs to win games or else I would love to see him gone.I would love to see Clemsons coach come here.Zac thinks he can talk players into playing hard,Never has worked and never will,he is just a big time yapper and all he does is talk.And he is worse than Marvin ever was in hiding players problems.We still do not have a clue what is wrong with Joe Mixon and Geno Atkins.This team is a big time keep in the dark to us.I am telling you they will not beat the Skins,they play with passion and fire.And they certainly do not want to lose to the lowly bungals. I am so so tired of 50 years of losing.I picked the wrong team to support.I figure I have spent at least 25,000 on this thing and I have NOTHING to show for it.I could have bought me a nice Harley  :paul:
Reply/Quote