Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank Dalton Among All QB's
(10-13-2017, 10:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Have him do it for two years and then there's no question I will put him ahead of Dalton. Heck, he hasn't even done it for a single year yet.

Yeah, I am not ready to crown Wentz after 6 games of this season. People were ready to crown him a franchise QB after 4 games last year when he put up a 103.5 QB rating.. and then he put up a 72.5 QB Rating over the other 12 games to finish with a 79.3 QB Rating for the whole season.

Dalton had a 80.4 QB Rating his rookie year.

People lift up Wentz for 6 games, yet forget Dalton's 13 games of 106.2 QB Rating in 2015 and 116.2 QB Rating in the 3 games since Lazor took over.

Dalton was legitimately an MVP candidate in 2015 before he broke his thumb, and then got saddled with what we now know as probably THE worst OC in the entire league. When he got fired, he went right back to an extremely high level of play.

I had my doubts last year.....as did the team, apparently.  Yet, they still rolled into 2017 with him at the helm..... Hmm 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 10:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Good points.

Progression over a career is a key factor too. Does a QB improve from Year 1 to Year 2 to Year 3.

I honestly don't think Dalton has progressed much from his rookie year.
He came into the Pro's and had a nice rookie season. It's probably more on coaching than Dalton though.

Then you're not watching him play at all. It took him getting outside help (which speaks to your coaching statement) but he took a HUGE step forward in his 5 season. The team took a step back by the extremely lazy inside hiring of Zampese, and he's right back to playing at an extremely high level now that he's fired again.

He also greatly improved on his deep passing the last couple years, becoming statistically one of the best QBs at deep passes. (Shake's posted the stats on it a couple times, I believe.) He's also protected the ball a lot better with a much lowered INT rate.

If the progress you're looking for a QB to throw 40+ TD passes, then that's simply never going to happen on a Marvin Lewis coached team. Ever. That involves blowing out too many teams, which he would never allow. There's a reason that during the '05-'07 span where the Bengals had a great passing game, they still only averaged 28.6 passing TD/season. You give Bill Belichick an offense of '05 Palmer/Chad/TJ/Henry/Rudi and they would have set NFL records.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Dalton's Progress:

Year 1&2: 60.2% completion / 220.8 YPG (6.8 YPA) / 4.5 TD%, 2.8 INT% / 83.9 QB Rating
Year 3&4: 63.0% completion / 240.3 YPG (7.2 YPA) / 4.9 TD%, 3.5 INT% / 86.4 QB Rating
Year 5&6: 65.2% completion / 257.1 YPG (7.9 YPA) / 4.5 TD%, 1.6 INT% / 97.7 QB Rating

More accurate, more yards, more yards per attempt, better QB rating on each list. That's improvement. The TDs are just Marvin being Marvin. You give Marvin Brady/Brees/Rodgers, and they stop being Brady/Brees/Rodgers.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 10:02 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: It's always nice when someone else sees it too. Outside of AJ Green, the closest thing to a great weapon Dalton has had was Eifert and he's going to miss the rest of the season again. Everyone gets wrapped up talking about all of these incredible weapons Dalton has, but it's simply not true. Then they want to use the round players were drafted in like that matters. Ced and Fisher help prove that.

Dalton has helped to elevate the play of all of his receivers except Green. When you look at their numbers, their best years or second best years have been with Dalton. He's a good QB. I have no idea why some of his own team's fans try so hard to tear him down. No matter how you break down the guys numbers, he's a good QB. Instead, he puts up a 145 QB rating in a game and we have to nitpick a missed throw here or there, or he missed seeing a receiver. He plays one of the top defenses in the entire league and his elite receiver helped turn the ball over 3 times, but it's okay Green did that because he put up monster numbers. Everyone wants to harp on a bad decision by Dalton that was almost picked off.

Then of course we have to hear about the Ravens game. Yeah, he threw 4 picks. Unfortunately, it happens to every QB. Ben just threw 5 include 2 pick 6s. Of course that doesn't count because it doesn't help advance the Bengals fans narrative that their QB sucks.

Thank you! You get it!
Reply/Quote